snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 26 January 2014, 12:16 PM

Default Scottish couple's close encounter with Californian brown bear

http://www.theguardian.com/world/vid...lifornia-video

Quote:
CCTV shows Scottish couple Bob and Irene McKeown pass metres from a large brown bear outside their holiday home in Pasadena, California. The pair remains completely unaware of the creature until it follows them towards their car and hurts Bob.
(He wasn't badly hurt - a couple of scratches - and it's not in the video anyway).

It's a good illustration of that same principle of obliviousness demonstrated by the famous experiment with the basketball and the gorilla costume. When you come out of your front door, you're totally not expecting a brown bear to be standing outside on the porch, so you don't notice it... it's actually pretty funny - even the bear looks as though he can't quite believe they've not seen it...
Old 27 January 2014, 02:45 AM

Bear Nitpick time.

Yes, it was brown but that's not a brown bear because they're extinct in California. That's a black bear. Although I much prefer The Guardian over The Los Angeles Times the latter got it right on this story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It's a good illustration of that same principle of obliviousness demonstrated by the famous experiment with the basketball and the gorilla costume.
That makes sense. I was wondering why The Guardian bothered with this story because these incidents happen all the time here.

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 27 January 2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Unecessary capitalization
Old 27 January 2014, 09:12 AM

But not to British people - especially in the UK! The most dangerous thing in the British countryside is an angry farmer when you wander off a public footpath.
Old 27 January 2014, 12:11 PM

Yes. Our largest carnivore is the terrifying meles meles which can weigh as much as 16 kg (35 lb)
Old 27 January 2014, 02:23 PM

I think they hurt his poor ego. "I r big monster, rawr, rawr. Hey, where you go? Look at me!" He only followed them because they weren't properly terrified.

I also wouldn't call that a large bear, as far as they go. Yes any bear can be a problem, but that one only looks to be the size of a large dog. On the other hand, I can't say I ever saw any bears in the years I lived in Burbank (which isn't too far or different from Pasadena). The largest wild animal I saw was the occasional coyote.
Old 27 January 2014, 02:42 PM

Reading both articles leads me to believe this black isn't long for the world. It's unusual for a black to not scare or to follow someone. Around here, we can blow an air horn or bang pots or just yell and they scoot away - they aren't aggressive at all. Once they get over that fear, they are put down
Old 27 January 2014, 03:44 PM

Same here--bears that wander into town by mistake get shot with a tranquilizer dart and moved to a wilderness area. Bears that hang around persistently and show no fear--usually because foolish people feed them--get shot with a bullet.