snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 23 May 2010, 06:57 PM

Default Recording of an encounter at a US/Canada border crossing

Comment: This is clip re: a very nasty encounter of a Canadian citizen and a U.S. Border Crossing Guard. Is this true?

Old 23 May 2010, 07:26 PM

Christ, I'd have sent him on back home just for interrupting so much.

I'm trying to figure out how this was taped. The star is clearly miked, as you can hear him clearly the entire time, from his car, to the station to presumably a cell. This had to be hidden because I don't believe you can use electronic devices while you're being interviewed. Mr. Gibbie got sternly warned by a Canadian border guard at Niagara for sending at text while she was conducting the interview (I was driving). I thought she was about to haul him off when I finally got him to put it down.

I think whoever the protagonist is he went to the border with the intent of being a pain and seeing what would happen. I've been heavily questioned by Canadian and American border guards alike. It's not the nature of one country or another, it's the nature of crossing a border. Answer the questions, stay polite, don't give the officer lip or attitude and you'll generally be fine.

Gibbie
Old 23 May 2010, 07:40 PM

Wolf

Yeah, asking "what are ya gonna do" is not a great idea if you're not going to be happy with what they're gonna do.

And the way she acts, are there no malls in Canada? "I just wanna go shopping!"

I'm inclinded to believe that he was trying to provoke the officers as well.
Old 23 May 2010, 07:40 PM

All we have here is a audio take take from somewhere. It could be taken while trying to cross the boarder, recorded someplace else like a studio or some of both.
Old 23 May 2010, 07:51 PM

There appear to be some parts missing.

Anyway, I've experienced some border crossings and all I can say is the officers on this tape remain remarkably polite.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:00 PM

Something doesn't seem to add up about this.

The boarder agent seemed to go from questioning to asking the guy to get out of the car awful quick IMHO.

Also, wouldn't the Canadian gentleman have been patted down at some point prior to going into the interogation room, which would have rooted out the recording device?

The other thing that sounds off is the reverberation from room to room, especially the last room. The reverberation makes the room sound much larger than I'd imagine it would be in reality.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:21 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithaHat View Post
Something doesn't seem to add up about this.

The boarder agent seemed to go from questioning to asking the guy to get out of the car awful quick IMHO.
I did notice that too. I would think that "I am going to (specific mall)" would be eniough, but maybe there was a bit before the audio kicked in where the guy was b3eing a jackass.

Plus the "What country am I cistizens of?" comment was pretty wise-assy. Not smart to tease a border agent about his grammer. It just pisses him off and if he gets pissed off, you have a very bad day.

Quote:

The other thing that sounds off is the reverberation from room to room, especially the last room. The reverberation makes the room sound much larger than I'd imagine it would be in reality.
A jail cell would have hard walls and be inside a larger roo with other hard surfaces causeing this effect.

possibilities:

1- A setup. A wise-ass deliberately brought a recorder with him to tape himself pissing off the guards. He probably wanted to post it on a wall about how america's jackbooted thugs mistreated him at the border crossing.

2- a fake. This was done in a studio or some other location.

3- real- maybe the guy felt he was getting harassed and turned on the recorder at the point where he was losing his temper. It might explain why the officer was so quick to remove him from the car - this had been going on for some time before the audio starts.

I'm leaning toward the first one. I think a fake would have ended with him getting a (fictional) beat-down and in the last it would be too unlikely that he'd have a recorder that they would not find. If he'd had it planted, it may be small enough, like a wristwatch, that he could avoid having it taken away. Something like this. (yes, I know it is a video camera, but this guy could have had one that was audio only or the video was so bad that it was thrown out.)
Old 23 May 2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
A jail cell would have hard walls and be inside a larger roo with other hard surfaces causeing this effect.
Was the last room the jail cell? I thought he was in another room prior to being put into the jail cell.

i.e.

a.) the car
b.) general area of waiting with a counter etc.
c.) room for questioning
d.) jail cell (or at least the closing of a cell door to indicate that he was put into a cell)

However, you're right a jail cell would cause the effect we're hearing.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:48 PM

Wolf

I agree with your list. I thought that you meant the last "scene." I'll have to listen again, but I can't right now.
Old 23 May 2010, 09:28 PM

The conversation they are having is not in a jail cell. It is a big wide open room, much like a reception area. It is big. there are chairs all the way around it. (I have been in this area a few times over the years as SO is not a Canadian Citizen and has to get a special Visa everytime we cross). I have heard these conversations many times while we have been waiting for her turn.

Last year we watched a guy brought in for smuggling guns and drugs while using a fake passport. And even then they did the whole interogation right out in the open. Then they took him to the back (where the audio changes)

Back in 2006, on New Years Eve i was brought "to the back" which was a small office. At this point, they may or may not ask you to remove your clothing at which point they will search your belongs, and ask you to .... present your orifaces. Thats when they will find any items..

The thing i find that is funny is when they explain he is being charged with assault for "pulling away" when officers reached for him. He was an ass from the begining, the boarder officer was suspicious, and this is the end result.
Old 25 May 2010, 10:07 PM

Wolf

I also think he went there to be a smart ass and found out the hard way that doing so can get him in a lot of trouble. It sounds like the guy was recording and that's why we hear him so well. I notice that he makes a point of repeating things the border folks are saying, no doubt that's for the recording device.

I don't think it went from questions to out of the car too quickly, either. "Does it matter?" is never a good answer. Had he not been trying to be an ass he would've simply said they didn't know what stores were available or something. The minute you respond in any way that is unusual or off, you make yourself suspect.
Old 25 May 2010, 10:32 PM

I google the address that he gave which sounds like 1 Elm Drive Mississaga. Turns out it's in the middle of an intersection - not a residential building.

The recording could have been made on an iPhone, although the supervisor mentions at the end that they have the whole conversation on audio and video. I guess the question is who made and leaked the recording.

Last edited by lynnejanet; 25 May 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 26 May 2010, 02:10 PM

1 Elm Drive is a Condo. Oddly enough i know this without even looking as one of my employees just moved to 1 Elm Drive West 2 weeks ago.
Old 26 May 2010, 02:23 PM

It's just par for the course IME at random border stops - the officer asks a few seemingly inane questions whilst I guess they are looking for signs of nervousness or evasiveness. Stuff like "So where are you going?" phrased in a sort of "have a nice time here" way is common. Last time we were stopped a Dover in a party of four and the officer said "So do you all know each other?" On that occasion I was feeling quite ill, we'd suffered numerous delays to get on our ferry because this was the weekend that Ejah, Eyeallah, Ayatollah That NNBSKing Icelandic Volcano decided to do its thing, and I wasn't in the mood for more delay. Pretty obvious though that snappy curt smartarse answers weren't going to get us through faster.

So really if you want to get through the crossing and to your destination the best thing is to just answer the simple questions and woof you proceed after a minute or two delay. Get aggressive or snarky and they might just want to ask some more questions - and/or conduct a search.

In that regard it's not really different to being well advised not to crack the "Yes I have a bomb in my suitcase" joke when checking in at the airport. Frustrating as it might be to get pulled over and asked some silly questions it is better in the long run to just go with it.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 26 May 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 26 May 2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
It's just par for the course IME at random border stops - the officer asks a few seemingly inane questions whilst I guess they are looking for signs of nervousness or evasiveness. Stuff like "So where are you going?" phrased in a sort of "have a nice time here" way is common.
FWIW, stops at the US-Canada border aren't random. Everyone is stopped and asked some questions in order to determine admissibility. We can't have Canadians coming in freely and stealing our jobs.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 26 May 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 26 May 2010, 06:12 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
We can't have Canadians coming in freely and stealing our jobs.
Much less SHOPPING here.

Bonnie "loonie behaviour" Taylor
Old 26 May 2010, 06:22 PM

Many years ago we met some friends in Niagara Falls, NY (they were visiting family there and we were on vacation and it was coincidental that we were all there at the same time) and we all drove into Canada in our Jeep Cherokee - four adults and three tween aged boys. At the border they asked who "all these kids belong to"?

This was a perfect opportunity for me to be myself and give a smart ass response. Instead I acted like a grownup and pointed out which was ours and that the other two belonged to the other couple. No muss no fuss.

Photo "The whole OP sounds like a setup to me" Bob