snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 22 December 2016, 11:57 AM

Icon23 Peppermint Candy Canes vs Fruit Flavored Ones

Earlier this month, I bought some candy canes into work for all to enjoy. I bought two boxes: one was peppermint, the other fruit flavored. The fruity ones were gone in a week--the peppermint ones are still there. At least the seal has been broken and 1-2 candy canes have disappeared. My 'scientific' conclusion? People really dislike peppermint, at least the people I work with.
Any food-related 'research' going on in your life?
Old 22 December 2016, 12:12 PM

No research, but I loathe mint of any description. It boggles me that anyone likes it at all. But like most things MM an usually does V.
Old 22 December 2016, 12:38 PM

I could take or leave peppermint--I adore Peppermint Patties, but not peppermint candy canes, ice cream or cookies.
Old 22 December 2016, 01:08 PM

I find fruity candy canes too sweet- the sugar base plus the artificial fruitiness is too much for me.

Just last night, on the other hand, I saw an old episode of Holiday Baking and the required ingredients were hot cocoa and peppermint. One of the contestants said "Peppermint only belongs in toothpaste."

Chacun son bonbon

ETA: A prayer for the holidays and New Year: May our biggest division be fruity cc vs. minty cc.
Old 22 December 2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
One of the contestants said "Peppermint only belongs in toothpaste."
I wonder whether that's why some people don't like it; they think of it as tasting like toothpaste.

I presume however that the reason they put it in toothpaste in the first place is because many people like mint.

FWIW: a) I like mint, in tea, chocolate, candy, etc. and b) I had no idea candy canes even came in fruit flavors, though I suppose it's not surprising that they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
ETA: A prayer for the holidays and New Year: May our biggest division be fruity cc vs. minty cc.
From your mouth to God's ear!

-- though I'm afraid it would take a god to get us there, at least within the next couple of weeks.
Old 22 December 2016, 02:12 PM

I love peppermint stick ice cream that only seems to come out in the store here at this time of year. Only problem is they almost always have chocolate in them as well. I love chocolate (my hips can attest to that) but I'd really prefer candy cane ice cream without it. I am guessing though a lot of people aren't crazy about peppermint candy canes and the ice cream sells better with the chocolate mixed in.
Old 22 December 2016, 02:15 PM

Glasses

You couldn't pay me to voluntarily eat a fruit flavored candy cane. It's just wrong, IMO. Which is weird, because in the summer, fruit flavored stick candy is da bomb. I think it's seasonal brain washing when they're in cane shape.

But I wouldn't have taken one of your candy canes anyway. They're not good "at work" candy for me.

I will also wish everyone a joyous holiday. May all your downs be not as bad as expected, and all your ups be better than you hoped.

Seaboe
Old 22 December 2016, 02:44 PM

I'm not a candy cane guy, but I have found that I, and others I know who don't like candy canes, tend to enjoy Peppermint Bark. That's the sheets of chocolate with peppermint candy chunks mixed in. I also really enjoy a cup of cocoa with a good dollop of peppermint schnapps mixed in. My tentative conclusion from this is that chocolate makes everything better.

I do have a little food related research of my own. For Christmas, I make Star Wars shaped chocolates to give out. I make some dark, some milk, and some white chocolate. I have found that there is a general pattern to what people like, with one major exception. Age is a pretty good predictor of the type people want - younger skews more to white, while older skews more to dark. People who say they will take any chocolate generally really want milk chocolate but don't want to make a fuss. With the one exception, people who like dark don't like white and vice versa. Most people will enjoy milk chocolate, even if they prefer one of the others. The one exception is one guy, in the middle of the age range, who likes white and dark, but doesn't really like milk.

I have no idea if this holds outside of my company, but there it is. Happy holidays, all.
Old 22 December 2016, 03:02 PM

I don't think it's that people don't like pepermint, I could take a candy cane or two, it's just that it's TOO MUCH Peppermint, where as a fruit flavor breaks it up, it's fruity, it's sweet, it hits several flavor notes rather than just MINT.

However, I will go for Jelly Belly candy canes above all else...those things rule the world (*sniffles* I couldnt' afford them this year...I am candy cane-less).
Old 22 December 2016, 08:01 PM

I like peppermint, but I don't like peppermint flavored hard candy. Candy canes are messy so I wouldn't have a peppermint one, but I might be interested in the right fruit flavored one.
Old 23 December 2016, 12:09 AM

That's so funny, I can't stand the fruit ones, or the ones that are peppermint but for lack of a better way of describing them have kind of a fake fruit taste to them. The peppermint ones I love, I could eat 3 or 4 in a row (especially when I was a kid) but I watch myself these days. Many years back my mom bought some huge ones- Maybe 8-9 inches long (not including the part that curls back toward itself) and an inch diameter or maybe a little more? Could easily eat one of those in one sitting or more if I wasn't being mindful.
Old 23 December 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
May all your downs be not as bad as expected, and all your ups be better than you hoped.
Thanks! -- and may I steal that?
Old 03 January 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

I was off-line, Thorny. I hope you stole it anyway.

Seaboe
Old 03 January 2017, 02:44 PM

Not yet, Seaboe. But I may in future.

-- I've got a birthday card around I've been saving to send to somebody who's having a birthday but also having a terrible time; it says "May the day be unexpectedly good." I've been thinking that what I needed this year was a batch of New Year's cards that say 'may the year be unexpectedly good'.

It occurs to me, rather belatedly, that I could have made some up. I should hang on to the idea; I'm afraid I might still need it next year.
Old 06 January 2017, 09:59 PM

Reflections, in no particular order:
1) Simple math. 20 standard candy canes - peppermint, 20 fruit flavored canes - cherry, raspberry, watermelon and grape. Five of each flavor were eaten. The fifteen left over were all peppermint because there were more of them to begin with.

2) When candy canes became popular for Christmas, people weren't all brushing their teeth three times a day (everyone bushes their teeth three times a day, don't they?) with minty toothpaste. They were using baking soda, tooth powders, or chew sticks and weren't as tired of mint as we have become.

3)The flavors that peppermint goes with and, more importantly, doesn't go with. Toothpaste doesn't go with coffee or orange juice. Who could have orange juice with December breakfast, not to mention lunch and dinner, in Victorian times? The Spanish? The Chinese? Most places a single orange for Christmas was considered a huge treat. While coffee was popular in America, the Irish and the British were tea drinkers, and minty tea is tasty. People drank a lot more water, and if the water wasn't safe, beer or wine. Those Dickensian workhouse children all got their daily ration of beer. I find peppermint schnapps a nice chaser for beer.
Old 06 January 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Who could have orange juice with December breakfast, not to mention lunch and dinner, in Victorian times? The Spanish? The Chinese?
I am thinking we probably could. Especially in areas were oranges are grown.
Old 07 January 2017, 01:31 AM

I don't think my aversion to all things mint has much to do with tooth paste. I do prefer a milder tooth paste but most are fairly mild any way. I'd use cinnamon but I have an auto immune thing in my mouth, so that's right out.
My aversion to candies and breath mints is very strong. When stocking shelves I often stock several bags of life saver mints along with other lightly pacaged mint candy. The smell nearly makes me gag. I can't wait to get rid of any tote that the stuff is shipped in because the stench linhers. Ugh!
Old 08 January 2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I am thinking we probably could. Especially in areas were oranges are grown.
That's only because you folks moved December to the summer, and I imagine the stripes on the candy canes rotate in the other direction.
Old 16 March 2017, 07:03 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Toothpaste doesn't go with coffee or orange juice.
Old 16 March 2017, 07:30 PM

I'm glad you resurrected this thread as I was just thinking about it.

Whereas, to me candy canes are peppermint, this is the not the case with my god-children. I bought a particular berry-blend juice and they both say it smells like candy canes. It does smell like certain fruit flavored candy canes, but nothing like peppermint.