snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 13 September 2014, 04:48 AM

Default Father loses access to son with leukemia in fight over chemo at CHEO

A few days ago, Aiden Pedersen’s parents got the worst possible news. Their only child, 18-month-old Aiden, was diagnosed with leukemia by doctors at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario.

“It’s a nightmare,” Aiden’s father, Marco Pedersen, said Friday. “The world came crashing down on him pretty hard.”

But when CHEO doctors told Pedersen, 23, and his 20-year-old wife, Erica O’Lane, that Aiden needed to start chemotherapy immediately, they balked.

Pedersen’s father, Mark Allen, is a close associate of Rick Simpson, a cannabis crusader who claims to have developed an oral hemp oil treatment that can cure many illnesses, including cancer.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-chemo-at-cheo
Old 13 September 2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
In court Friday, the judge gave Pedersen until Sept. 29 to marshal and present evidence that hemp oil, taken orally, is a credible alternative to chemotherapy.
That sounds fair enough.

I can't imagine refusing to sign my consent when the only alternative is to lose access to my ailing child. He's getting the chemo anyway, all you're doing now is depriving him of your presence.
Old 13 September 2014, 05:20 AM

I had somehow managed to go all these years without ever hearing about Rick Simpson. I've just wasted an hour if my life that I'll never get back googling for information on this man .
Old 13 September 2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
“All the parents are asking for is time to make an educated decision, and they feel they have not been informed of all the options,” Collett said. Instead, they were “threatened and publicly berated by the attending doctor.”
It didn't say what kind of leukemia this boy has, but it is likely an acute form, which means it needs to be treated immediately. Often, by the time children are brought in and diagnosed, they would only live for a few more weeks if they didn't begin treatment right away. This man is asking for time his son doesn't have. The doctors know this, the authorities know this. I wish the father could realize this.
Old 13 September 2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
“I really can’t see it being a benefit to my little man,” Pedersen said in an interview.
Well, what more evidence do you need than that?