Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 18 August 2009, 06:52 PM

Icon23 Americans eat 100 lbs of chocolate per second

Comment: "Here's some food for your thoughts! Every second, Americans
collectively eat one hundred pounds of chocolate. During your lifetime,
you'll eat about 60,000 pounds ...the weight of about 6 elephants!"

Is this true???
Old 18 August 2009, 07:06 PM

Heck, I could eat 100 pounds of chocolate a second all by myself. But I won't, because it wouldn't be prudent.
Old 18 August 2009, 07:54 PM

That number sounds about right. According to Wikipedia, worldwide production is about 3 billion kilograms per year (~6 billion pounds). That works out to about 200 pounds per second for the entire world. I wouldn't be surprised if USians didn't eat half the world's production. (You don't get to be as fat as we are by eating half the worlds production of broccoli.)
Old 18 August 2009, 08:21 PM

The numbers for the overall may or may not be correct - it works out to about 0.5 ounces of chocolate a day for every man, woman, and child in the US. Seems a bit high, but not egregiously so.
The statement that an individual will eat 60,000 pounds in their life is complete crap. That is either: a pound a day for ~165 years; 2.2 lbs a day for a lifespan of 75 years; or if we all ate at the rate posited in the first part, we would have to live for 5784 years. But I guess the internally consistent answer (~780 pounds or the weight of 60 house cats!) would not have been as dramatic.
Old 20 August 2009, 04:14 AM

A few websites say an average American eats 12 pounds of chocolate per year (and therefore about 900 pounds in a lifetime).

300,000,000 x 12 = 3,600,000,000 pounds per year
3,600,000,000 / 365 = 9,863,013 pounds per day
9,863,013 / 86,400 (seconds in a day) = ~114 pounds per second
Old 21 August 2009, 01:00 AM

I do my part...in fact, I probably take the 0.5 daily ounces from at least one or two (or five...) people who are allergic to chocolate. :-)
Old 04 October 2009, 01:03 AM

Does the average person eat that much chocolate? Possibly. I mean, we're thinking in terms of "have a brownie here, have a candy bar there", forgetting the whole "Eat tons of chocolate like a pig during the holidays, eat cake and ice cream for friend's birthdays, eat more ice cream in the summer". Admit it - you've porked down on a pint of Ben & Jerry's chocolate ice cream more than once in your life. ADMIT IT!!!!

Trish "Just made brownies this afternoon" DaDish
Old 04 October 2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
That number sounds about right. According to Wikipedia, worldwide production is about 3 billion kilograms per year (~6 billion pounds). That works out to about 200 pounds per second for the entire world. I wouldn't be surprised if USians didn't eat half the world's production.
See Patterns of Chocolate Consumption:

Quote:
Consumption of chocolate confectionery in the United States is moderate (approximately 4.6-4.8 kg/y) compared with that of many northern European countries (approximately 7-10 kg/y).

Quote:
(You don't get to be as fat as we are by eating half the worlds production of broccoli.)
I was hoping that this second slam against US eating habits would prove as wrong as the OP's six chocolate elephants. But, alas, not only do we Americans eat far less than half of world broccoli consumption*, two other countries (China and India) each produce more.

Still, the basic point remains that the US almost certainly ranks internationally higher as a per capita broccoli consumer than as a per capita chocolate consumer.

Old 04 October 2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
(You don't get to be as fat as we are by eating half the worlds production of broccoli.)
I bet the South could. They batter and deep fry anything not bolted down.

Old 04 October 2009, 02:08 AM

What does that mean exactly? Does a Hershey bar count all of its weight, or only the weight of the actual pure chocolate in it?

Chugging down a pound of chocolate milk is one thing-- that's about an eight ounce serving, in the US-- but enough milk flavored with a pound of pure chocolate? I doubt it. It takes very little baking chocolate to make a whole cake, and even baking chocolate isn't pure chocolate, or cocoa solids, or however we're going to define chocolate.

If we consume one hundred pounds of chocolate-flavored food a second, sure, but 100 lbs. of pure cocoa solids? I'm a little more skeptical.
Old 04 October 2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg View Post
See Patterns of Chocolate Consumption:
Quote:
Quote:
Consumption of chocolate confectionery in the United States is moderate (approximately 4.6-4.8 kg/y) compared with that of many northern European countries (approximately 7-10 kg/y).
4.7Kg = 10lb

(10lb/year/person)(300e6 person)(1yr/3e7 seconds) = 100lb/sec for the US.
That is exactly what is in the OP.

Even if many N. European countries have higher per capita consumption the population of the US is considerably more than the N. European countries. So total US consumption is still probably greater even though the per capita may be less.

Quote:
I was hoping that this second slam against US eating habits would prove as wrong as the OP's six chocolate elephants. But, alas, not only do we Americans eat far less than half of world broccoli consumption*, two other countries (China and India) each produce more.

Still, the basic point remains that the US almost certainly ranks internationally higher as a per capita broccoli consumer than as a per capita chocolate consumer.
You think that's true? Besides, whereas chocolate is consumed in virtually all countries the same isn't true (AFAIK) of broccoli.

The first part of the OP appears to be essentially correct (100lb/sec).

It's the second part, 6 elephants worth of chocolate during a person lifetime, that is incorrect.
(10lb/year/person)(75year/life) = 750lb/person/life
Those would have to be pretty skinny elephants to get six of'm in at a total weight of 750lb. Heck 6 USians, on average, weight a fair bit more than 750 lb.

An average elephant is about 7,500 lb., so the elephant part is off by a factor of ~60. The average USian eats 1/10 the weight of an elephant in chocolate during there lifetime.
Old 05 October 2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
What does that mean exactly? Does a Hershey bar count all of its weight, or only the weight of the actual pure chocolate in it?

Chugging down a pound of chocolate milk is one thing-- that's about an eight ounce serving, in the US-- but enough milk flavored with a pound of pure chocolate? I doubt it. It takes very little baking chocolate to make a whole cake, and even baking chocolate isn't pure chocolate, or cocoa solids, or however we're going to define chocolate.

If we consume one hundred pounds of chocolate-flavored food a second, sure, but 100 lbs. of pure cocoa solids? I'm a little more skeptical.
My guess on this type of thing is that they are averaging the amount of cocoa processed every year of the US population or similar type thing. They may make some adjustment for the amount imported and exported. The problem with this is that it assumes all the chocolate is eaten by humans.
Old 05 October 2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
My guess on this type of thing is that they are averaging the amount of cocoa processed every year of the US population or similar type thing. They may make some adjustment for the amount imported and exported. The problem with this is that it assumes all the chocolate is eaten by humans.
Who else eats chocolate? I'm not being snarky-- it's bad for cats and dogs, and they're probably the second biggest, I'm not sure what you'd call them-- production end consumers, of something. I'm sure there's commercially produced food for all sorts of animals, but the vast majority of pet food is for cats and dogs, which far outnumber other kinds of pets, and chocolate would have to have some sort of benefit other than flavoring to be in farm animal feed, I would think. Unless it's a cheaper than I realize way to get feed animals to gorge themselves and fatten up. I guess it could be in zoo animal feed, for animals native to places where chocolate comes from, but that can't account for very much of it.

So what non-humans are eating chocolate?
Old 05 October 2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Who else eats chocolate? I'm not being snarky-- it's bad for cats and dogs, and they're probably the second biggest, I'm not sure what you'd call them-- production end consumers, of something. I'm sure there's commercially produced food for all sorts of animals, but the vast majority of pet food is for cats and dogs, which far outnumber other kinds of pets, and chocolate would have to have some sort of benefit other than flavoring to be in farm animal feed, I would think. Unless it's a cheaper than I realize way to get feed animals to gorge themselves and fatten up. I guess it could be in zoo animal feed, for animals native to places where chocolate comes from, but that can't account for very much of it.

My fault, I should have said some thing like "It assumes humans eat all the cocoa and cocoa butter (if included). It was a long day and I was working on 4 hours sleep.

Even if we are only talking about the end product chocolate. It assumes that people purchased and ate all that was produced. I'm sure that there is some portion that ended up in a land fill for one reason or another.
Old 05 October 2009, 07:46 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Pests. Personally I've seen mice and rats eat chocolate we had stored for candy making. The pieces of chocolate we had left were covered in their teeth marks. A lot of insects also go for anything with sugar in it. And some birds, like pigeons, will eat anything they can get their beak on. It's a drop in the ocean compared to what we humans consume but dang it, they're stealing my chocolate!
Old 10 October 2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensible Crier View Post
I bet the South could. They batter and deep fry anything not bolted down.
To prove your point about deep frying anything...have you ever had a deep fried Snickers bar? I personally haven't as I'm allergic to peanuts, but my mom has. Oh my, I guess that adds to the chocolate as well.
Old 10 October 2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensible Crier View Post
Pests. Personally I've seen mice and rats eat chocolate we had stored for candy making. . . . It's a drop in the ocean compared to what we humans consume but dang it, they're stealing my chocolate!
Here's another drop:

Luxurious Chocolate Bath and Spa Products

I just googled:

chocolate industrial uses

and can't find anything really significant in the way of non-food-related chocolate uses, but maybe I am missing it.