the rolling dust. My grandfather and several other men began screaming, it
turns out something about the blast allowed them to see through their
gloves and hands. They could see the bones of their arms and hands for a
few seconds, before it disappeared.

I've had people discredit my grandfathers view, and I just want to know
what I can do to either defend him or learn once and for all that he was a
fraud.
Old 16 June 2010, 07:29 PM

Unfortunately everyone I know that was there is now dead, but that seems like the kind of thing my grandpa would have told me, and he never mentioned anything like that.
Old 16 June 2010, 07:56 PM

Blasts from atomic weapons might give off X-Rays, I'm not sure. In any case no human could see the image from an X-Ray.

It is concievable that the intense visible light from the blast could shine through ones hands causing the structures inside to be briefly discernable. I find it unlikely but I can and have been proven wrong.
Old 16 June 2010, 08:30 PM
Defiant

Our "meat sensors" aren't able to see in the x-ray part of the spectrum. However, the amount of "visible" light being generated by a nuclear can cause many shadows to be cast with such intensity that our eyes can see things "through" the thin layer of skin that is our eyelids. I don't know if it would actually make it possible to see the shadow of your bones through your eyelids and other flesh if you held them up in front of your face while facing the blast. Rather than castigate your gramps for creative storytelling, I'd choose to chalk it up to a mixture of stress confusion and time's entropification of memory.
Unless, of course, he ever muttered the term "nuke-your-ler", which would immediately cast him into the Pound for Lying Curs.
An interesting experiment which you must never under any circumstances perform is to shine a laser pointer onto your closed eyelid. The brightness through the skin will cause your retina to see the image of the blood vessels on the back of your eye.
Old 16 June 2010, 08:48 PM

Whalephant

Actually, you can see a surprising amount of detail of the bones inside the hands using an ordinary flashlight in a very dark room! Once the eyes grow accustomed to the low light levels, you can see the bones -- or, perhaps, merely the illusion of the bones, as light shines through the translucent tissues around the fingers. Making "skeleton hands" is a classic old campground pastime, nice and eerie, and goes well with ghost stories.

Silas (the monkey's paw!)
Old 17 June 2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
An interesting experiment which you must never under any circumstances perform is to shine a laser pointer onto your closed eyelid. The brightness through the skin will cause your retina to see the image of the blood vessels on the back of your eye.
You can, however, hold your finger over the end of the laser pointer in a darkened room and see blood vessels inside your finger. Just did it, and I can still see. *whew*

I doubt Grandpa's story though, because it seems like a light bright enough to see bones inside an arm would cause permanent damage to the eye. If Grandpa was blind afterward, that would lend real credence to the story.

Also...why would they scream?
Old 17 June 2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterbites View Post
You can, however, hold your finger over the end of the laser pointer in a darkened room and see blood vessels inside your finger. Just did it, and I can still see. *whew*

I doubt Grandpa's story though, because it seems like a light bright enough to see bones inside an arm would cause permanent damage to the eye. If Grandpa was blind afterward, that would lend real credence to the story.
I'd also expect that any burst of light that intense would also cause severe burns to the skin.
Old 17 June 2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterbites View Post

Also...why would they scream?
You may doubt, but my Grandfather reported the same thing when he was involved in the Woomera tests in Australia. (He was responsible for turning the keys and setting the thing off!)

The light was that bright, but it did not last "for a few seconds" (probably an after image on the eyes) and he didn't scream!

Totally true.
Old 23 June 2010, 01:37 PM
shogun

TRUE !

My father was at the testing at that Bikini islands ( Im named after one of the tests)

He told the same story, at the second of the blast , even with you eyelids closed and your arm in front of you face you could see the bone in your fore arm. It was not due to x rays, just a very bright flash of visable light.
Old 29 November 2013, 01:06 AM

Default Nuclear testing = xray

I was stationed on Eniwetok in the Pacific Ocean for Operation Hardtack in 1958 and was a C-54 pilot. I personally viewed approximately 30 nuclear tests. As an officer, I was issued one of the limited number of goggles so that I could look directly at the detonations. The goggles were so dark, that if you looked at the sun at noon, you could only see a small speck of light. The tests were conducted in the middle of the lagoon. I was on the island which I believe was called Fred, where the main runway was located; probably a few miles from the detonations. When the device was detonated, the brightness of the explosion was unbelievable. It would have been possible to read a book through the goggles. Since it was so bright, it was natural to hold your hand up in front of your face to shielf yourself against the intensity. We all did it at the same moment. You could plainly see the skeleton in your hand and arm. It was so clear that it appeared that there was no flesh, nothing but bones. We were not permitted to have cameras so no one was able to take photographs. And even if we had tried, the extreme intensity of the light would have obliterated the film. But I can verify that what your grandfather said was absolutely true. I am now 80 and that amazing vision is still clearly in my memmory.
Old 04 December 2013, 12:32 AM

Wow, thanks for sharing that story.

And welcome to Snopes, photomacjim!