snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 23 August 2015, 12:36 PM

Default Shameful Operating Room Moments: Medical Journal On Calling Out ‘Dirtball’ Doctors

Here’s the backstory: The anonymous author of the essay (the journal decided to keep the doctor’s identity a secret) was leading a course on medical humanities for senior medical students. The topic was “the virtue of forgiveness.” At one point the doctor put a question to the class: “Do any of you have someone to forgive from your clinical experiences? Did anything ever happen that you need to forgive or perhaps still can’t forgive?”

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2015/08...behavior-essay
Old 23 August 2015, 05:33 PM

That's disgusting behavior.

Doctors should not act like fratboys. Especially while operating on a patient.
Old 23 August 2015, 06:12 PM

Didn't take long for "PC" to pop up in the comments.
Old 23 August 2015, 07:22 PM

My grandmother was a nurse from the 1940s to the 1980s. She told me stories of how the doctors, when the nurses were in the sterile field (hands up and away from the body), would come up to them and pinch their bottoms and grab at their breasts because the nurses couldn't do anything to protect themselves or else they might break the field.

I'm sure it depends a lot on the individual doctors, but I do hope that there are enough established doctors (as opposed to the new ones who are trying to fit into the culture of the room/department/hospital) who are willing to call out this disgusting behavior when they see it.
Old 23 August 2015, 08:52 PM

It's disturbing that all of the doctor told stories involved unconscious female patients and their reproductive organs. When you go in for that kind of medical treatment, you alleviate your personal embarrassment by reminding yourself that they're professionals.

I'm glad the publishers went ahead with the article. It's essentially the medical community saying, "knock it off, ***holes!"