snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 10 June 2015, 09:05 PM

Things I don't use every day like painkillers and cold medicine are kept in the bathroom. I keep my birth control by the computer because it's in my line of sight and I'm usually around there at the same time each day. I keep my vitamins and supplements downstairs on the kitchen counter so I can grab them on my way out the door in the morning. Basically, it's a question of storing things where I'm least likely to forget they exist.
Old 11 June 2015, 01:09 AM

We've got a medicine box or basket. It switches containers fairly frequently and is usually found near the kitchen but, like everything in Hogwarts and our home, it shifts. The bathroom only has a bath and the toilet room has a little cabinet but who puts medicine in their toilet room? (I guess that's what they call a "half bath" in the US. It's not a bath, yanks. It's not like you add a toilet to a little sink and get half a bath. It doesn't work that way. Just saying don't try to bathe in there.)
Old 11 June 2015, 01:16 AM

Ganz, maybe I shouldn't tell you about the 3/4 baths.
Old 11 June 2015, 01:30 AM

United States

Get with the metric system already.
Old 11 June 2015, 01:32 AM

.75 baths...
Old 11 June 2015, 08:33 AM

Icon97

I think you mean 75 centibaths, or 750 millibaths.
Old 11 June 2015, 03:27 PM

Glasses

I'm another who keeps the pills where I take them. This means a room with running water and a cup. So morning pills are in the kitchen and bedtime pills are in the bathroom. Painkillers and occasional medicines are in the bathroom, too.

When I was growing up, aspirin and cough syrup were in the kitchen (I don't recall my parents having much in the way of other pills), I assume because the house had three bathrooms (well, [sorry ganzfeld] 2.5) and we all used the aspirin and cough syrup.

Seaboe
Old 11 June 2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
It's not a bath, yanks.
Sure it is, it is where you bathe the cat.
Old 11 June 2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
When I was growing up, aspirin and cough syrup were in the kitchen (I don't recall my parents having much in the way of other pills), I assume because the house had three bathrooms (well, [sorry ganzfeld] 2.5) and we all used the aspirin and cough syrup.
My parents and grandparents keep/kept general vitamins and medicine in the kitchen. My grandparents probably did so as 1) the houses did not originally have internal bathrooms and 2) if someone was in the bathroom the person wanting their medicine had to wait. My parents followed suit.

Rarely used medicines are kept in the closet. Active are kept in the bathroom, but usually for only about 2 months, as that's how long those prescriptions last.
Old 19 June 2015, 01:34 AM

Ambulance

I keep the every day prescriptions at my bedside. Once in a while things, like Tylenol, are kept in the bathroom medicine cabinet.
Old 19 June 2015, 08:46 AM

Painkillers and general stuff in my first kit (a large sealable container) in a kitchen cabinate. My daily medication in a plastic container with am/pm and the days of the week (So I can remember if I have taken them) where I eat as they have to be taken with food.
Old 20 June 2015, 03:36 PM

As with others, I keep the "as needed" or leftover prescription drugs in the bathroom medicine cabinet, along with the bandages. Of course, this can lead to some surprises, such as last week when a bronchial cough was making the rounds, and I found some welcome codeine cough medicine in the back of the cabinet. OK so it was 2 months passed its use date. Don't judge me.

My day-to-day meds like BP pills and my pain meds are kept by the bed. The animal meds, like Darby's joint supplements, are in the kitchen near where I dish up their food.

Old 22 June 2015, 02:07 AM

Icon97

We got out of the habit of keeping medicine in the bathroom when we found our toddler kneeling in the sink trying to open a bottle of baby Tylenol with her teeth. All medicine is on the top shelf in the kitchen now - even though that toddler is now in her late 20s .
Old 22 June 2015, 12:56 PM

Does she still try to open the child-proof caps with her teeth?

I've given that a go with a particularly ornery cap
Old 22 June 2015, 04:47 PM

We have medicine all over the place - the fridge, the pantry, a basket on top of the pantry, and of course in the "medicine cabinet" above the bathroom sink.