snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 11 March 2015, 08:40 PM

Icon97 Pregnant Model Sarah Stage's Tiny Belly Causes Social Media Uproar

A pregnant modelís tiny belly is causing a huge uproar on social media. Sarah Stage, a 30-year-old model from Los Angeles, regularly posts pics showing off her eight-and-a-half-month, barely-there pregnancy belly on Instagram and other social sites. Despite being just a few weeks away from giving birth, her abs seemed to have remained sleek and toned.

https://gma.yahoo.com/pregnant-model...ws-health.html
Old 11 March 2015, 08:42 PM

Looks pregnant to me.
Old 11 March 2015, 08:50 PM

Tsk, Tsk

She obviously didn't turn the "Pregnant Belly" dial up far enough to please the internet.

For shame!

~Psihala
Old 11 March 2015, 09:01 PM

They repeatedly call her 8.5 months pregnant, which implies she's due in 2 weeks, but then the presenter calls her "nearly 35 weeks" (at about 1:04), which means she still has about 5 weeks to go. In that case her size isn't that out of the ordinary for a first pregnancy at that height and fitness level, IMO. It's a bit misleading.
Old 11 March 2015, 09:12 PM

8.5 months doesn't imply she's due in 2 weeks. Women are 9 months pregnant for weeks before they are due. Pregnancy lasts close to 10 months the way it is medically calculated.
Old 11 March 2015, 09:34 PM

I think it does imply exactly that. That doesn't mean what they are saying is accurate - it means that's what they are trying to convey to their audience who are probably not bothering to do the math.
Old 12 March 2015, 04:52 AM

Yep, it looks to me like they (and the instagramer herself) are deliberately hyping a story to a culture that continues to refer to a woman's gestation as 9 months long (examples here, here, and here) in spite of that fact that we medically calculate it as closer to 10.

Erwins, I am aware of the discrepancy. My point is that I think she's exploiting it. I've never heard anyone say, "I'm 9 months pregnant, due in a month." Nine months pregnant is usually taken to mean "full term." And I'd be willing to bet that most people who read "8.5 months pregnant" did not immediately assume she was due in a little more than 5 weeks. YMMV.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 12 March 2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09 April 2015, 12:14 PM

The day I gave birth I was wearing leggings and a top that I had worn on pre-pregnancy 'fat days'. His birth weight was a healthy 6lb 13. Some women just have small bumps, and getting shamed about mine made an already crappy pregnancy a lot harder. I'm sure this woman and her doctors would take action if there was any suggestion the baby wasn't healthy in there.
Old 09 April 2015, 02:39 PM

The local morning show had their regular guest doctor on this morning and this model was one of the topics discussed. He basically said, if she has gained 20 pounds as she says and if she isn't doing any exercise that is dangerous to the fetus (he specifically mentioned high impact exercise and any activity that has a risk of falling or impact with the belly...no dodgeball) then without further information, he didn't see a problem. Also mentioned that the ab muscles are over top of the bump and if you don't have a layer of fat over the muscles, it's not abnormal to still look toned.
Old 09 April 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
8.5 months doesn't imply she's due in 2 weeks. Women are 9 months pregnant for weeks before they are due. Pregnancy lasts close to 10 months the way it is medically calculated.
Calculated this way (from the first day of the last menstrual period), a woman typically gives birth at around 40 weeks. 40 weeks is about 9.21 months. More than 9, but definitely not close to 10.

Even 41 weeks (late term) is about 9.44 months.

At 8.5 months since LMP (37 weeks), you would expect her to deliver in about 3 weeks. (If she is in fact only 35 weeks pregnant, then she would be due in about 5 weeks).

(Doesn't change the fact that people criticizing her by playing amateur doctor are idiots and/or assholes).

Last edited by Jahungo; 09 April 2015 at 10:38 PM.