snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 31 July 2018, 06:32 AM

Whalephant

Before you go on Pirates of the Caribbean you now must sit through a lecture on pirates that lasts for 30 minutes and is deadly dull.
Old 31 July 2018, 11:17 AM

Blow Your Top

There's been a freak snow squall in this area! In July! Very weird seeing the county plows crews doing their thing at this time of year!
Old 01 August 2018, 01:12 PM

I'm joining the military again (for at least the third time).

I'm being wined and dined by recruiters trying to get me to join.

I suddenly realized what today's date is and I'm just a little bit over the age limit to join. They assured me that they could work around that.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 06 August 2018, 06:41 PM

I have a large yellow cat who just came home after having been missing for some time.

Only I hadn't been missing him. I'd entirely forgotten about him until he showed up again; and was feeling somewhat guilty about that, but not so guilty that I didn't just let him right back out the door without checking him over thoroughly first.

-- when I woke up, I thought about it, and realized the dream yellow cat looked just like a cat who showed up here years ago and moved in for a short while, but who I had to give away to a friend because he was trying to drive off my other male cats and was harassing the then-half-grown female. IRL the large yellow cat lived an apparently happy life for a number of years with my friend but has been dead for some years now.
Old 07 August 2018, 12:24 PM

Wait, what?

Yellow?
Old 07 August 2018, 01:32 PM

Do you like orange better?

https://www.google.com/search?q=yell...nt=firefox-b-1

The cat in the dream was on the darker end of the spectrum; so orange might actually be more accurate. But around here, they're commonly called yellow cats. Quite common in tom cats; rarer in females, but not extraordinarily rare.
Old 07 August 2018, 02:52 PM

Ginger. Those cats are Ginger!

I have never heard them being called yellow before! (With the exception of Henry’s Cat, but that is entirely different.)

I learned something today!
Old 07 August 2018, 04:17 PM

So did I! (There's probably no way to do a joint post in the thing-I-learned-today thread.)

If I'd heard somebody refer to a ginger cat, I'd have figured out what they meant; but I've never heard that term used around here. It's not usually used for a hair color, either -- we'd call that red hair or redheaded. (A few yellow cats are closer to a human blond.)
Old 07 August 2018, 04:30 PM

A variation of this, from earlier this year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

(2) I attend an informal religious service every week.

It's held in somebody's front yard in my aunt's old neighborhood.

It's mostly the same attendees each week, with a little variation.
I joined a family in my neighborhood to attend an informal outdoor religious service in another part of town.

After the service, I lost track of the family and had to come home without them.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 18 August 2018, 12:16 PM

Whalephant

There is a small liberal arts college in the middle of nowhere Illinois called The University of Poland. No one knows why, as it has no connection to Poland, teaches nothing Polish and was not founded by Poles.
Old 18 August 2018, 03:55 PM

Meant to post this yesterday, but work has been incredibly busy the last few days (transitioning all of our station and vehicle computers over from City Hall's system to our own):

I am part of a group of what seems to be intergalactic adventurers; none of us are human, but some are humanoid. We are in a vast warehouse/factory of some kind, and our group is tangling with another group. All of my group is taken prisoner except for me, and I am chasing them through this building. The stockpiles and operating automated machinery are creating enough obstacles that I am losing ground; getting hold of a blaster gun makes it worse, since I am usually running on all fours, and I have to hold the gun in one hand (wishing there was a strap so I could sling it across my back). Eventually I lose them completely when they get outside the building and lose themselves in the city outside.

Thing I learned: apparently I am Rocket Raccoon, at least in this dream.
Old 18 August 2018, 08:45 PM

Last night: I’m part of some secret organization that has me flying all over the world doing secret things. My last mission was to found a new town in Australia near Melbourne because of reasons. At first it was supposed to be a reproduction of a traditional aboriginal village but that didn’t work out. But changing the name of the town to “Tropical Paradise” made it a success. So much so that the Hard Rock Cafe is opening their newest restaurant there.

The night before last: I’ve been kidnapped by a group of witches in their self propelled rail car. The car is full of rings that one might chain or handcuff a prisoner to (similar to those seen in the latest season of Orange is the New Black). I guess my kidnappers are witches—they are dressed in typical goth fashion are it’s obvious to me in the dream that there’s something occult about them. When I asked them where they are talking me and what they plan to do with me they give me vague answers at first but then they grow annoyed with my questions and start speaking in tongues. Then one of them stuck her head right through my body, as in it passed right through me like a ghost. So I guess she was a ghost which.
Old 18 August 2018, 09:39 PM

Or maybe you were the ghost! OOOOOoooooOOOooooo!
Old 19 August 2018, 01:15 AM

Serena Williams is a client of ours, and she came in with a long list of things she wanted from us. Most of them we could accommodate. But when I had to call a coworker for assistance, the coworker started fangirling and not-so-secretly taking pictures of her. I chastised her for her rudeness and apologized to Serena.

However, I accidentally threw away one of Serena's sandwiches, thinking it was someone's garbage (it had been dropped in the sand on the beach) and I had to scramble around to get her a new sandwich and iced tea without her realizing. I'm not sure why I was being secretive, because she's a very nice person and wouldn't have been angry, but I felt like I had to make up for my coworker's embarrassing behavior.
Old 19 August 2018, 04:20 PM

One of he department store chains opened up a large "warehouse" store near me, with clearance items on sale for a discount.

Low-income customers who qualify may take items home without paying for them in advance, through a new government program called "pennies from home," in which they're given a small envelope to mail in the money when they get home, on the honor system.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 22 August 2018, 01:16 PM

Icon106

I learned that promotion in the theatre can come very swiftly. I was working as a sound technician at a local playhouse but, due to my conscientious work, I was promoted to be an actor in a Shakespearean play.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I woke up before I could read my reviews

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "The world is but a stage" ab Arthur
Old 22 August 2018, 01:31 PM

Apparently I carry a range of tree-trimming equipment in my car, and I am eager to use them when tree branches are in inappropriate places. Also, trees are now apparently all crown and virtually no trunk, which admittedly makes tree trimming much, much easier.

I am not a fan of work dreams, even if it's work I don't have to do at actual work.

That's 3 things I learned this morning!
Old 23 August 2018, 01:07 PM

One of my neighbors has a swimming pool in his basement.

He also has an extensive collection of back issues of newspapers going back to the 1960. Apparently that's how he knows so much about do-it-yourself projects because he uses them for reference.

Also, another part of my basement that I haven't visited lately has a door that when opened leads to the post office downtown. When I opened the door it surprised some of the postal employees.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 26 August 2018, 03:50 PM

The town where my mother used to live had some kind of promotion or festival pretending that it's the 1930s or 1940s again.

I went to the place where my mother used to work (which was still there and staffed like it used to be) and asked the person there if I could work there. I explained to him, "Look, I know it's not really 1930 or 1940 (?), I know it's really 2018, but . . . ." He eventually agreed to hire me.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 26 August 2018, 09:04 PM

I learned that when the telephone rings in the middle of the night, it's not my father asking when I'm gonna live my life right, because I pick it up and it just goes on ringing, and when I yell, "Why won't it stop ringing?" I'm just dreaming it's ringing, and my wife is ready to snatch the phone away from me and brain me with it.