snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 14 August 2018, 03:39 PM

When someone on Facebook asks a specific question do not answer unless you have an actual answer.

For instance someone asked if anyone knew what the Red Tide conditions are at Stump Pass, and answer of "it was bad three weeks ago when I was there" is really irrelevant since the conditions change daily (hourly in some cases).

Same for he question "a helicopter has been circling my neighborhood all night. anyone know what the issue is?" "Training?" "Police activity?" are not at all helpful.

Some folks just have to chime in and post even though they have no idea what the answer might be.
Old 14 August 2018, 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, not answering is not always an option. I know of a couple of people that, if no one answered, would then start complaining that no one will talk to them, and why can't anyone help out with a simple question, do you all hate me now?
Sometimes you just have to give some sort of answer, so that the person asking knows that you read the question. I don't like it either, but I've come to accept it.

The people I really don't get are the people who answer questions asked on products at Amazon with "I don't know?" They don't have a personal relationship with anyone involved, but they get the question from Amazon and decide that they are going to chime in with how they don't know the answer. If I had asked a question, and they sent a message saying someone answered, I'd be highly annoyed with that.
Old 14 August 2018, 03:52 PM

I know I had the habit of volunteering opinions and theories because that's encouraged in University. Fortunately, some of the first people I worked with were irascible enough that I soon lost the habit (at least at work )
Old 14 August 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
Same for he question "a helicopter has been circling my neighborhood all night. anyone know what the issue is?" "Training?" "Police activity?" are not at all helpful.
Relevant
Old 15 August 2018, 03:09 AM

That was brilliant.

My thing I shouldn't have to tell co-workers: if you want to reach me during the work day, text my work phone, not my personal. You know I'm in court all day, and you know there's a training at lunch. You also know I have my work phone connected to my smartwatch for this very reason, while my personal cell might not see the outside of my purse for eight hours straight. If you needed an answer within 10 minutes, as you apparently did, you're a dope.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:08 PM

Throw Tomato

Hans Off, that was beautiful! I should post a link to it on my local Nextdoor.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:44 PM

Did you spot This one too?
Old 15 August 2018, 06:05 PM

Icon27

Hans Off--
Occasionally choppers fly over my house; I figure they're either looking for someone or flying someone to a hospital.
Old 15 August 2018, 07:26 PM

"Whizz whizz flashy flashy."
Old 17 August 2018, 04:44 PM

Icon84

There are some words you cannot say on the radio, and that is one of them! Think of that as you ask why Local Talk Show Host dumped you.
Local Talk Show Host, you'd best keep your finger hovering over that dump button!
Note that I have no problem with hearing profanity over the air, but I don't want the wrath of the FCC coming down on the station for an honest mistake.