snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 06 December 2011, 08:23 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What annual sports event is nicknamed "the Frozen Four"? The NCAA hockey championships. Get it? Like the Final Four? Only on ice? And no one ever watches or makes office brackets?

2. What is the national fruit of China, despite its close association in the West with a different nationality? The kiwifruit got its new name in the 1950s as a marketing gimmick. Before that, it was the "Chinese gooseberry."

3. Who was the first U.S. president voted for by women nationwide, leading critics of suffrage to claim that his good looks had won him the election? You know who's hot? Warren G. Harding.

4. What organization uses an E-meter in its auditing? Would you rather be audited by the IRS or the Church of Scientology? It's a tough call.

5. What Iberian dance, mentioned in a Queen song, also provided the original title for Maurice Ravel's Bolero? Scaramouche, Scaramouche, can you do the fandango? It's a dance about buying movie tickets on the Internet.

6. Besides white, what color is on every national flag of Central America? Most have red, but ALL have blue.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, and no others? Bolivia, Brunei, Eritrea, Kuwait, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Samoa, Vatican City, and--probably most famously--Israel? These are all the world's countries that are officially the "State of" their short names: the Plurinational State of Bolivia, the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, the State of Israel, and so on.
Old 06 December 2011, 08:25 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

I've been tallying the scores for our last ten-week Tuesday Trivia challenge, and it looks like Matt Leavitt, Shawn Winnie, and Greg Brume each went 10-for-10 on the Question Seven front, making them our latest crop of winners. Congrats to all three! Full scores are at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6596

Shawn has won a signed book once or twice before, so I may break the tie in favor of Mr. Leavitt (who was, I believe, shafted in a previous tiebreaker) and newcomer Mr. Brume, who will both receive signed copies of a Ken Jennings book just in time for the winter holiday of their choice. Confusingly, the books will be signed not by me but by late Canadian newscaster Peter Jennings.

As for the rest of you: a new 10-quiz cycle began last week...look for a new scoreboard soon at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboards/viewforum.php?f=3. Your name could be on it! And on the signed books you eventually win! Just in time for the mid-spring holiday of your choice.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. HBO's In Treatment and Showtime's Homeland are both based on TV series from what foreign--but not European--country?

2. How many basic positions of the feet are there in classical ballet?

3. What war is referred to by its other participants as the "6/25 Upheaval," the "Fatherland Liberation War," and the "War to Resist U.S. Aggression"?

4. According to a once-popular myth, oysters could only be eaten in months containing what letter in their names?

5. What river is dammed by the Hoover Dam?

6. What Broadway hit was named for a fanciful figure painted by Marc Chagall on a mural at the Moscow State Yiddish Theater in 1920?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Roberto Benigni, Kate Capshaw, Johnny Depp, Hugh Grant, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Lee, Rebecca Pidgeon, Meg Ryan.
Old 06 December 2011, 08:28 AM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
1. HBO's In Treatment and Showtime's Homeland are both based on TV series from what foreign--but not European--country?
Never seen In Treatment (or even heard of it), but I have been enjoying Homeland, so I know that it is based on a TV series from Israel.

Quote:
Absolutely no idea

Quote:
3. What war is referred to by its other participants as the "6/25 Upheaval," the "Fatherland Liberation War," and the "War to Resist U.S. Aggression"?
WAG - The Korean War???

Quote:
4. According to a once-popular myth, oysters could only be eaten in months containing what letter in their names?
R

Quote:
The Colorado

Quote:
6. What Broadway hit was named for a fanciful figure painted by Marc Chagall on a mural at the Moscow State Yiddish Theater in 1920?
Played Tevye once... lots of fun... so Fiddler on the Roof

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Roberto Benigni, Kate Capshaw, Johnny Depp, Hugh Grant, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Lee, Rebecca Pidgeon, Meg Ryan.
Wow, familiar with all of them, cut can't think of a common thread.

MacLloyd
Old 06 December 2011, 10:04 AM

Hm, 12 or 20

The letter R

Colorado?

Fiddler on the roof
Old 06 December 2011, 10:44 AM

Australia

1. HBO's In Treatment and Showtime's Homeland are both based on TV series from what foreign--but not European--country? Hboland.

2. How many basic positions of the feet are there in classical ballet?On the floor or up around your ears.

3. What war is referred to by its other participants as the "6/25 Upheaval," the "Fatherland Liberation War," and the "War to Resist U.S. Aggression"?American Gladiator, series 6, episode 3

4. According to a once-popular myth, oysters could only be eaten in months containing what letter in their names? Dunno, every oyster fan in the southern hemisphere who heard that advice died from shellfish infused botulism

5. What river is dammed by the Hoover Dam? "Damn them all," the Hoover Dam says."

6. What Broadway hit was named for a fanciful figure painted by Marc Chagall on a mural at the Moscow State Yiddish Theater in 1920? The Kilroy Follies.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Roberto Benigni, Kate Capshaw, Johnny Depp, Hugh Grant, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Lee, Rebecca Pidgeon, Meg Ryan. I want them all in my bed, but Bob, Johnno, Hughie, Tony and Chris only have to operate the cameras.
Old 06 December 2011, 11:12 AM

The only one I know:
Quote:
Months containing (or if you are German: ending in) the letter "R".
Old 06 December 2011, 12:56 PM

2. How many basic positions of the feet are there in classical ballet? five
Old 06 December 2011, 01:54 PM

Israel

Five

Korean War

R

Colorado River

Fiddler On The Roof

Don't even know where to start....
Old 06 December 2011, 03:57 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Israel ETA: I'm utterly flabbergasted. I'd never heard of either show; this was the first country that popped into my head.
Quote:
Quote:
Operation Desert Storm
Quote:
Arrrr.
Quote:
Colorado. I visited the dam in August--they were expecting 120 degree temps.
Quote:
Fiddler on the Roof
Quote:
They've all played characters named for birds.

Seaboe
Old 06 December 2011, 04:56 PM

Four?

"R"

The Colorado?

Fiddler On the Roof

Tough collection today! Only one I know for sure.
Old 06 December 2011, 06:59 PM

Baseball

1. HBO's In Treatment and Showtime's Homeland are both based on TV series from what foreign--but not European--country? The only country I know called the "Homeland" is Israel. Motherland would lead me elsewhere.

2. How many basic positions of the feet are there in classical ballet? Four for each foot, so eight in total. I'm guessing entirely here.

3. What war is referred to by its other participants as the "6/25 Upheaval," the "Fatherland Liberation War," and the "War to Resist U.S. Aggression"? Fatherland Liberation and US agression? I would guess it be the Vietnamese war.

4. According to a once-popular myth, oysters could only be eaten in months containing what letter in their names? Y. Because I said so.

5. What river is dammed by the Hoover Dam? I believe it is the mighty Colorado river.

6. What Broadway hit was named for a fanciful figure painted by Marc Chagall on a mural at the Moscow State Yiddish Theater in 1920? Fiddler on the Roof. This was a musical I was acting in when the community theatre folded.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Roberto Benigni, Kate Capshaw, Johnny Depp, Hugh Grant, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Lee, Rebecca Pidgeon, Meg Ryan. All left handed?
Old 08 December 2011, 04:50 AM
Maresa

4. According to a once-popular myth, oysters could only be eaten in months containing what letter in their names? I think it's R
Old 13 December 2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
5. What river is dammed by the Hoover Dam? I believe it is the mighty Colorado river.
Is this a line from a song or something? Because Ken used the same adjective in his answers.

Answers to 1-6 follow. (Sorry about 7. MacLloyd?)

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. HBO's In Treatment and Showtime's Homeland are both based on TV series from what foreign--but not European--country? Israel! Interestingly, Sha Na Na was also based on an Israeli TV hit, Rosh Sha Na Na. There, that is the worst joke in the history of Tuesday Trivia.

2. How many basic positions of the feet are there in classical ballet? Only five! Scientists believe this is why ballet is so boring.

3. What war is referred to by its other participants as the "6/25 Upheaval," the "Fatherland Liberation War," and the "War to Resist U.S. Aggression"? That's what the Korean War is called in South Korea (it began on June 25, 1950), North Korea, and China, respectively. In the U.S., of course, it's called "That War from M*A*S*H."

4. According to a once-popular myth, oysters could only be eaten in months containing what letter in their names? 'R', based on a mistaken belief that shellfish were poisonous during the summer. In fact, only spoiled-on-a-hot-day shellfish is poisonous, as you might have guessed.

5. What river is dammed by the Hoover Dam? The mighty Colorado.

6. What Broadway hit was named for a fanciful figure painted by Marc Chagall on a mural at the Moscow State Yiddish Theater in 1920? Chagall's mural features the original Fiddler on the Roof.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:07 PM

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Ken says: "I'm a little but under the weather today, but here I am, rising from my deathbed to make sure the Tuesday Trivia trains run on time. I'm an American trivia hero."

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. British newspaper columnist Benjamin Mee wrote a 2008 book about his unusual experience in Dartmoor, England, where he bought what?

2. Which U.S. state's quarter shows a map of a territory containing not just that state but also thirteen others?

3. Which Olympic sport uses the smallest ball?

4. What band is releasing a new beer, an India pale ale called MMMhop?

5. It was proved in 1964 that 0, 1, and what other number are the only perfect squares in the Fibonacci sequence?

6. Where do 4,000 tourists travel every year to see the 887 world-famous "moai"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down," "A Better Man," "Crush on You," "Earth Angel," "Hotel California," "(I'm) Stranded," "Indian Reservation," "It's Too Soon to Know," "Lies," "My Boyfriend's Back."
Old 13 December 2011, 04:29 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Is this a line from a song or something? Because Ken used the same adjective in his answers.
I've heard it referred to the mighty Colorado for years. I think I originally picked it up as a kid watching a documentary on the Grand Canyon, and the fact that the Colorado river is what carved it. Mighty!

1. British newspaper columnist Benjamin Mee wrote a 2008 book about his unusual experience in Dartmoor, England, where he bought what? A Hound? Is Dartmoor where the Hound of the Baskervilles takes place.

2. Which U.S. state's quarter shows a map of a territory containing not just that state but also thirteen others? Maryland? I suppose it had to be one of the original 13 states, so I took a guess.

3. Which Olympic sport uses the smallest ball? Squash. That's my guess. I know it isn't basketball.

4. What band is releasing a new beer, an India pale ale called MMMhop? Crash Test Dummies. mmm mmm mmm mmm

5. It was proved in 1964 that 0, 1, and what other number are the only perfect squares in the Fibonacci sequence? 144. Finally, one I know.

6. Where do 4,000 tourists travel every year to see the 887 world-famous "moai"? Hawaii. Only place I know where vowels routinely outnumber consonants.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down," "A Better Man," "Crush on You," "Earth Angel," "Hotel California," "(I'm) Stranded," "Indian Reservation," "It's Too Soon to Know," "Lies," "My Boyfriend's Back."
All written by teenagers.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:39 PM

2. Lousiana
4. Hanson
Old 13 December 2011, 04:41 PM

2. Which U.S. state's quarter shows a map of a territory containing not just that state but also thirteen others?Lousiana

3. Which Olympic sport uses the smallest ball?Field Hockey(I'm assuming permanant sports, not exhibitionary sports)

4. What band is releasing a new beer, an India pale ale called MMMhop?Hanson (are they all old enough to drink?)

5. It was proved in 1964 that 0, 1, and what other number are the only perfect squares in the Fibonacci sequence?4

6. Where do 4,000 tourists travel every year to see the 887 world-famous "moai"?Easter Island
Old 13 December 2011, 04:46 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. British newspaper columnist Benjamin Mee wrote a 2008 book about his unusual experience in Dartmoor, England, where he bought what?
a prison. Or possibly the Baskerville mansion.
Quote:
2. Which U.S. state's quarter shows a map of a territory containing not just that state but also thirteen others?
the 14th state.
Quote:
golf
Quote:
the Nelsons
Quote:
5. It was proved in 1964 that 0, 1, and what other number are the only perfect squares in the Fibonacci sequence?
21 (yes, I do know).
Quote:
6. Where do 4,000 tourists travel every year to see the 887 world-famous "moai"?
Easter Island
Quote:
They're all fantasies.

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2011, 04:53 PM

WAG - A castle?
Louisiana
Did ping pong make the cut? I seem to remember it being an exhibition sport once.
Hanson? (Could that really be true?)
WAG - China? ETA: D'oh! After seeing some others' answers, I finally remembered what "moai" were.

Hmm... The Eagles did "Hotel California," the Penguins did "Earth Angel," The Angels did "My Boyfriend's Back" - I was thinking band names with wings, but that doesn't seem to work for Paul Revere & the Raiders. I'm stumped.
Old 13 December 2011, 05:10 PM

Canada

A zoo.

Louisiana

Ping-pong

Hanson

eight

Easter Island

No idea.
Closed Thread