snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 24 July 2018, 12:57 PM

I loathe the commercials but I don't buy skittles, or any other comparable product for that matter. Given that these commercials keep resurfacing - that gross one with the girl eating skittles off the boy has been around awhile - I guess whoever is creating the marketing strategy knows who is laughing and buying and who isn't!
Old 24 July 2018, 02:09 PM

I've probably posted this before, but I feel now is a good time to bring it up again:

Old 25 July 2018, 02:07 AM

Mouse

I still lean towards my Putin theory, but I also haven't ruled out that the company that makes Skittles, secretly hates Skittles and is trying to deliberately sink the brand. Me, I've never much cared for them, even before Skittles Pox.
Old 06 August 2018, 04:49 PM

Teacher

Here's one I just don't get:

Alternate location: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d248/walmart...lack-eyed-peas

All the parents, teachers, and staff line up outside the school to welcome the kids back? Who does this???!!??!?? And that's an awful lot of touching that most schools don't allow these days.

(Also, as someone on YouTube pointed out, the kids going to this "Middle School" are all grade school age.)
Old 06 August 2018, 05:42 PM

Middle school can be for 5th graders, who would probably be 10, possibly even 9 at the start of a school year.

Do you mean the hug that the blond man gives the child or the black man with the goatee who cups the child's face? I think those are supposed to be their kids. The blond man is shown picking up the first child's backpack and the black man is shown picking up a backpack that could be the second child's.

The large crowd to welcome them is odd, I will grant you that. Maybe it is too much concentration on history, but a very large crowd outside a school on the first day makes me think of much less fun things.
Old 06 August 2018, 06:31 PM

Icon05

Even if those are the parents of the kids involved, who's policing this? What's to keep basically anyone in that crowd from grabbing any of the kids inappropriately? (I'm actually someone who believes in hugging people you know, like kids in your class, but current attitudes in schools and among parents are not so touchy-feely.) And for that matter, why are parents lined up at the door to send off the very kids that were in their car a minute ago?

The comments on YouTube from people who actually went to this school say the kids are too young for it.
Old 06 August 2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
What's to keep basically anyone in that crowd from grabbing any of the kids inappropriately?...And for that matter, why are parents lined up at the door to send off the very kids that were in their car a minute ago?
The same things that keeps any random adult from grabbing a child on the street? It is on the steps of the school, but I don't know if a school's in loco parentis responsibilities would exist on what is essentially a publicly accessible sidewalk.

The commercial shows students arriving by bus and by crosswalk, I don't know that any of them were dropped off. And since the fathers* are shown arranging for the pickups at work, it is possible that the father would normally be at work and took time off to surprise the child at their first day.

* Just to pile on, why is every working parent in the commercial a man?
Old 06 August 2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
ust to pile on, why is every working parent in the commercial a man?
Yeah. Wow. Interesting message they're sending there.
Old 10 August 2018, 06:38 PM

There's a new Ore-Ida French Fries commercial that shows a father bribing his kid into eating her vegetables by offering her French fries. Way to promote healthy eating habits (not that we could expect much different from a commercial for frozen potato products).
Old 11 August 2018, 09:53 AM

I really hate the common propaganda that all children naturally hate vegetables.

It is just plain not true. If they haven't had it drummed into their heads that vegetables are awful, lots of kids love vegetables. Not all of them love the same ones, of course; but vegetables are certainly not universally repellent to all kids. And I can't think of any better way to put children off eating vegetables than to tell them that this is something horrible that has to be disguised, or served with bribes, in order for them to eat it.
Old 11 August 2018, 01:26 PM

Speaking of children in commercials my current pet hate is one for some kind of Bear Paws cookies for toddlers. The commercial is two parents on a plane with a small child who is going wild, the reason I hate the commercial is because at one point the father tries to grab the child, gets his coat and throws it right in the wife's face. I get that they are conveying his frustration and aren't saying the husband is an abusive jackass but that's not how it comes across for me in this moment.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I really hate the common propaganda that all children naturally hate vegetables.

It is just plain not true. If they haven't had it drummed into their heads that vegetables are awful, lots of kids love vegetables. Not all of them love the same ones, of course; but vegetables are certainly not universally repellent to all kids. And I can't think of any better way to put children off eating vegetables than to tell them that this is something horrible that has to be disguised, or served with bribes, in order for them to eat it.
And sometimes it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Someone hates vegetables as a kid, and never learns how to cook them properly. So they serve vegetables that are probably overcooked mush to their kids, who hate it...