snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 03 July 2015, 04:26 PM

Read This! Fleetdown Primary School head teacher in term-time holiday threat

A head teacher has threatened pupils with losing their school places if they take family holidays during term time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-33380465

I don't know what the system is elsewhere in the world but in England parents are fined 60 per day if they take a family holiday during school term time. Schools are anxious to maintain their attendance levels because during a Government inspection (Ofsted) the schools are mainly judged on three things - maths, English and attendance. Popular schools, such as this school, usually have far more applicants than places available.

(FYI: At present School Summer Holidays in England are mostly for five or six weeks from late July to early August. Soon schools will be able to choose when their Summer Holidays are taken so it could be that a local Seconday School (for pupils aged 11 to 18) has its summer holidays at a different time from the local Primary Schools (for pupils aged from 3 to 11). Parents of children in different schools could soon be placed in an impossible position as regards holidays.)
Old 05 July 2015, 07:19 PM

I can't speak for anywhere else but around here the school I am aware of may discourage children being taken out for holidays during term time but there are no financial consequences. I'd be very surprised to hear that this could happen actually. I guess the biggest consequence might be that children who missed tests or assignments would not be allowed to make them up.

I know when my daughter was in high school and had the opportunity to travel to Greece she missed a week of school and at least one teacher told me she'd learn more having the chance to go to Greece than she would in that missed week of school. Of course I'd be surprised if the teacher would have felt the same way if the reason for the missed week was a trip to Disneyland.