Go Back > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 02 March 2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I think that just whoever he talked to last said "people are upset, talk about gun control for a bit", and then he will talk to someone from high up in the Republican party who will calm him down. Or, he just wants to distract people. Either way, I am not too confident in anything being done.
On NPR this morning, I heard that Trump met with the NRA's chief lobby dude yesterday, who reported that Trump opposes any gun control. So yeah, that didn't last long.
Old 02 March 2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by erwins View Post
This is, again, a problem with terminology. I don't think Trump is using it correctly, but (and no offense is intended here) neither are you. I would have to reword what you said, or just go with your explanation of what you meant by it. Trump was talking about "the system" where you take the guns first and "go through due process second." That sounds to me like he has heard of gun restraining orders or similar proposals where someone such as a law enforcement officer is authorized to seize weapons on a temporary basis after which there would be a process for the person to get them back.

And when that is at least a plausible understanding of what he said, I really don't think it's effective to make hay out of what he said, unless he were to clarify that he really meant it in the most unconstitutional way one can.take it.

This is not me standing up for Trump -- this is me not wanting my side to unreasonably criticize when there is ample stuff to reasonably decry.
Fair enough. And if somebody's going to run with it, it might better be some of the NRA people -- they may get an audience among some of the diehards that nobody else would.

Don Enrico, I think Trump's a fairly firm believer in 'free speech for me but not for thee'. Nazi chants at a rally? Perfectly fine. Kneeling at a football game? Oughtta be forbidden!
Old 05 March 2018, 08:44 AM

White House pours cold water on Trump's support for gun control
Press secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters on Friday morning that Trump told top NRA official Chris Cox “that he’ll continue to support the second amendment, that’s not something that he’s backed away from. The background check system is something that he’s still very much interested in improving.”

She insisted, though, that this support did “not necessarily [mean] universal background checks” and also threw cold water on Trump’s statements that he supported raising the age limit to buy an assault weapon to 21.

“Conceptually, he still supports raising the age to 21. But he also knows there’s not a lot of broad support for that,” she said.
Old 14 March 2018, 01:42 PM
United States

And the first instance of an armed teacher injuring students is in...

Seaside High teacher accidentally fires gun in class, students injured

SEASIDE, Calif. — A teacher who also serves as a reserve police officer accidentally fired a gun inside a Seaside High School classroom Tuesday, police said, and three students were injured.

Dennis Alexander was teaching a course about gun safety for his Administration of Justice class when his gun went off at 1:20 p.m.

Alexander was pointing his gun at the ceiling when it fired. Pieces of the ceiling fell to the ground.

Three things jump out at me:

1. This happened during a course on gun safety

2. Administration of Justice class includes lessons on taking down an armed person

3. No one reported it. The injured students carried on with the class with bullet fragments in their neck and it was not tended to until they got home and the parents saw the blood.

I'm getting that meme building feeling... remember the days when teachers did not carry... remember the days when the President was honourable... remember the days when law class consisted of learning how the government and courts worked... remember the days when countries stood by their allies... remember the days when the Russians were the bad guys and not to be emulated...

I'm getting carried away.
Old 14 March 2018, 01:53 PM

Yeah, the part about "Oh, I fired a gun in school and just carried on!" is the most wrong part to me. Or the fact that the guy was not supposed to have a gun at all. Or that this highly trained person screwing up like this won't make people shut up about "Oh, just arm the teachers! That will stop school violence!"

There seems to be a three way tie for most wrong part here.
Old 14 March 2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by UEL View Post
3. No one reported it. The injured students carried on with the class with bullet fragments in their neck and it was not tended to until they got home and the parents saw the blood. .
I can't understand how any school employee thinks that's acceptable.
Old 14 March 2018, 03:49 PM

So many things wrong:
First off, he should have been using a rubber gun, not a real one. You only use a real gun when you need to fire, dry or regular.
Second, you never have live rounds anywhere near training unless it is live fire.
Third, how did no one else in the school hear the gunshot? Someone should have at least checked to make sure this wasn't another school shooting.
Fourth, was there a floor above? Bullets don't always stop in the ceiling.
ETA: Fifth, you check that a gun is not loaded by opening the action, not by pulling the trigger.
Old 14 March 2018, 04:53 PM

Just from the name and description, I'm guessing that Administration of Justice class could be described as "Intro to Being a Police Officer." It could be done as a legitimate vocational ed kind of class, or a legitimate and provocative class about how the criminal justice system is administered in this country. I'm guessing it is more the former. And this is purely speculation, but I'm also guessing that the teacher is a wannabe cop who is oy a reserve officer for a reason.