snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 08 February 2014, 01:38 AM

It isn't my area of expertise, but didn't women do a lot of jobs that were traditionally male during WWII? ie "Rosie the Rivittor". There were female pilots but they mainly delivered the planes to the men in combat zones, and weren't fighter pilots, although the planes were armed and they did shoot to protect themselves.

So it was excepted that women could do these things, alhough perhaps not as well as the men. After the war they were expected to give up the jobs for the returned service men. Besides they were only "doing their duty" and would actually be more happy in the home.

Except some women said "Hang on a minute, I like doing this and earning money and so on"

It was one of the factors that lead to the women's movement a decade or so later.

So women pilots or even fighter pilots sometimes in the future isn't much of a stretch, even as far back as the 50's
Old 08 February 2014, 02:18 AM

United Kingdom

There were also women who manned (hmm... womaned?) the "ack ack" antiaircraft guns. I can't imagine that was a low-stress job.
Old 08 February 2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
It isn't my area of expertise, but didn't women do a lot of jobs that were traditionally male during WWII? ie "Rosie the Rivittor". There were female pilots but they mainly delivered the planes to the men in combat zones, and weren't fighter pilots, although the planes were armed and they did shoot to protect themselves.
Do you have a cite for that last one? They did ferry planes to rear areas of combat zones, tested aircraft and towed gunnery targets but I've never come across any instances of having to defend themselves (for WASPs anyways).
Old 09 February 2014, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=firefighter_raven;1800889][QUOTE=Dasla;1800844]It isn't my area of expertise, but didn't women do a lot of jobs that were traditionally male during WWII? ie "Rosie the Rivittor". There were female pilots but they mainly delivered the planes to the men in combat zones, and weren't fighter pilots, although the planes were armed and they did shoot to protect themselves.
Quote:
Do you have a cite for that last one? They did ferry planes to rear areas of combat zones, tested aircraft and towed gunnery targets but I've never come across any instances of having to defend themselves (for WASPs anyways).
Not really. It was from a fiction book, but it was just a very minor aside, not the main focus of the story, so I assumed it was based on fact. If that makes sense.
Old 09 February 2014, 02:48 PM

Just incase anyone is interested I did a quick goggle search on Women Pilot in WW2 and here are some sites.

This one is on the WASP

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...1939-1949.aspx

This one is on the US version

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/s...riipilots.html

And because it is topical this about how they were honoured in the recent Rose Parade.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/31/us...i-rose-parade/

Note to self: Female pilots could be a topic to add to your list or things to research in your spare time to keep up your research skills. Your therapist told you to do this so get on with it. (That is find topics to research not fly planes. )

Last edited by Dasla; 09 February 2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09 February 2014, 10:11 PM

In addition to aircraft delivery and ferry duties, the (American WASPS) also worked as flight instructors, training new pilots fresh out of basic training.

If you've ever seen the movie TORA TORA TORA, you'll remember at the beginning of the attack a flight instructor giving her pupil a lesson until she spots the Japanese aircraft and takes the controls to get away.

That role was based on Cornelia Fort, who later died during a ferry flight to Texas.

http://www.tommcmahon.net/2008/05/cornelia-fort-t.html

Last edited by DrRocket; 09 February 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10 February 2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
In addition to aircraft delivery and ferry duties, the (American WASPS) also worked as flight instructors, training new pilots fresh out of basic training.

If you've ever seen the movie TORA TORA TORA, you'll remember at the beginning of the attack a flight instructor giving her pupil a lesson until she spots the Japanese aircraft and takes the controls to get away.

That role was based on Cornelia Fort, who later died during a ferry flight to Texas.

I think that the TV show Cold Case did an episode about these female pilots. Or something very similar.
Old 10 February 2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
I think that the TV show Cold Case did an episode about these female pilots. Or something very similar.
Making allowances for my bad memory but I remember that epi. Wasn't it a potential suitor who didn't take rejection or a man threatened by her ablilties?
Old 10 February 2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post

Thanks for that DrRocket, I enjoyed reading her story. And the page is added to my list.
Old 10 February 2014, 12:28 PM

It's not that old, but I'm quite surprised on re-watching the Simpsons episode Homer's Phobia (which I think was the first episode to include an explicitly gay character) by just how progressive it was in some ways and how, despite the gags about gay steelworkers and so on, the main gay character wasn't just a walking stereotype. He was camp, but also had unique interests, didn't lust after Homer and ended up saving the day.

I was also surprised in a negative way about a line Marge said - keep in mind she wasn't portrayed as homophobic - which was something like 'I don't think there's anything wrong with Bart, but if there is it's probably because you don't spend enough time with him'.
Old 10 February 2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Making allowances for my bad memory but I remember that epi. Wasn't it a potential suitor who didn't take rejection or a man threatened by her ablilties?
Nope. There was a saboteur, indeed, and he was arrested, but the main culprit was [hide]the female squadron leader who didn't want news of the sabotages to reach the brass for fear said brass would close the programme[/hide].

One thing which surprised me watching the old british series Department S :

At a time where, in the US, blacks were relegated to second bananas (the only exception being Barney Collier, without whom those missions really would have been impossible), in that series, the chief of said department was a black man, Sir Curtis Seretse, played by Denis Alaba Peters. But european TV series have always been a bit more progressive than similar american TV series. When the brass at Paramount didn't want a woman as second in command of the Enterprise, in "Raumpatrouille Orion", there was a woman admiral. Something that, in real life, was yet to happen (BTW, that german series was filmed in 1966).
Old 10 February 2014, 08:09 PM

Witch

Quote:
Just incase anyone is interested I did a quick goggle search on Women Pilot in WW2 and here are some sites.

This one is on the WASP

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...1939-1949.aspx

This one is on the US version

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/s...riipilots.html

And because it is topical this about how they were honoured in the recent Rose Parade.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/31/us...i-rose-parade/

Note to self: Female pilots could be a topic to add to your list or things to research in your spare time to keep up your research skills. Your therapist told you to do this so get on with it. (That is find topics to research not fly planes. )
IIRC the Soviets had an all female front-line squadron, known as the Night Witches as the normally flew nightime missions.
Old 11 February 2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Not really. It was from a fiction book, but it was just a very minor aside, not the main focus of the story, so I assumed it was based on fact. If that makes sense.
I can understand that(one of my favorite alternate history authors has a Phd in Byzantine History and often uses real events from history that he turns into events in his books). Not a problem, I was hoping you had found a source that I hadn't heard about yet.
Old 11 February 2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davies View Post
IIRC the Soviets had an all female front-line squadron, known as the Night Witches as the normally flew nightime missions.
We simply couldn't grasp that the Soviet airmen that caused us the greatest trouble were in fact women. These women feared nothing. They came night after night in their very slow biplanes, and for some periods they wouldn't give us any sleep at all.
- Hauptmann Johannes Steinhoff, Commander of II./JG 52, Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross, September 1942.

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A5849076