snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 20 November 2008, 01:30 AM

Icon401 Hitler HAD only got one ball

An extraordinary account from a German army medic has finally confirmed what the world long suspected: Hitler only had one ball.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1945960.ece
Old 20 November 2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
An extraordinary account from a German army medic has finally confirmed what the world long suspected: Hitler only had one ball.

Ugh, nice earworm...thanks a lot, snopes. And Dr. Spidle my history prof who first performed it for me.
Old 20 November 2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Blassius said that when the Nazis swept to power Johan began to suffer nightmares and blame himself for saving Hitler.
No-one can lay blame at the medics feet for doing what he did at the time he did it, but that must have been something hard for him to deal with.
Old 20 November 2008, 04:54 AM

From the article:

Quote:
The lyrics are: “Hitler has only got one ball, the other is in the Albert Hall. His mother, the dirty b****r, cut it off when he was small.’
What's b****r?
Old 20 November 2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
From the article:

What's b****r?
Bugger.

Guess the Sun was feeling a bit coy yesterday.
Old 20 November 2008, 05:04 AM

This is the first I'd heard of this song, and I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out what was wrong with the headline.

It took me twice as long to work out what b****r was. But I did work it out before my British BF.
Old 20 November 2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
It took me twice as long to work out what b****r was. But I did work it out before my British BF.
That's quite enough about your sex life thank you.
Old 20 November 2008, 05:26 AM

The American version of the song -- or at least, the one I've heard -- goes something like:

Hitler had only got one ball
Goering had two, but very small
Himmler
Was very sim'lar
And Goebbels had no balls at all....

(To the tune of the "River Kwai" song)
Old 20 November 2008, 06:44 AM

Of course, otherwise the Hitler smiley would be inaccurate:

/:=) .-
Old 20 November 2008, 08:33 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
The American version of the song -- or at least, the one I've heard -- goes something like:

Himmler
Was very sim'lar

(To the tune of the "River Kwai" song)
In this mornings paper it called this version the Australian version, which would seem to tie in with the River Kwai tune.
Old 20 November 2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft;805067
Himmler
Was very sim'lar
That's the only version I've ever heard and I have always assumed it is British.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

The autopsy results have been known for ages, but I suppose this is the first explanation of why he had only one testicle.

On the other hand, a second or third-hand note of a remembered conversation that itself might have occurred seventy years after events (or did it - when did the conversation with the priest happen? It doesn't make that clear) might not actually be good enough evidence to convince historians that weren't already convinced by the autopsy.

I guess it depends when and why the conversation with the priest happened, and why the priest made a note of it. If I were a priest making case-notes in that instance I'd have thought I'd try to disguise the identity of the third party who lost a testicle at least...

I was wondering the other day exactly when the "Hitler has only got one ball" song became popular. Obviously we think of it as a wartime thing, but it occurred to me that it might have been "retrofitted" in memory from a song after his autopsy results would have become known. Because it is very specific, and it seems more than a coincidence that it was accurate; I couldn't see any likely means for the information or rumour to have leaked otherwise.

But if the loss of the testicle was already a public event by the time of his rise to power - albeit one known only to a few people - then it's the sort of gossip that could easily have got back to the British side. That makes a lot more sense of it all, at least.

(eta) I knew both versions, or verses, of the song but the one we sang in primary school was the one quoted by The Sun. I didn't hear the other until later. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's not British, just that it's more complicated and assumes you know who Goering, Himmler and Goebbels were. I don't think we generally did in primary school, whereas everybody knows who Hitler was.

I vaguely remember a third verse that started "Hitler has only got one tit, the other is in a pile of shit..." but that could just have been something made up later on the primary school verse circuit. It didn't have a very memorable or satisfactory ending, I don't think. Alas, the Opies don't mention these songs in their section about Hitler rhymes in The Lore And Language Of Schoolchildren.

Last edited by Richard W; 20 November 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Currant Bun
The second verse is: “She threw it over Germany, it landed in the deep blue sea, the fishes got out their dishes, and had scallops and b******s for tea.”
The version of the second verse we sang at cubs was "The wind blew it out the door, the wind blew it out to sea, the fishes got out their dishes and had scallops and bollocks for tea".

I can't imagine they'd let you sing that around the campfire at cubs anymore. Better stick to never getting to heaven in a baked bean tin.
Old 20 November 2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
The version of the second verse we sang at cubs was "The wind blew it out the door, the wind blew it out to sea, the fishes got out their dishes and had scallops and bollocks for tea".

I can't imagine they'd let you sing that around the campfire at cubs anymore. Better stick to never getting to heaven in a baked bean tin.
I'd not read the sidebar and was going by the verses quoted in the thread. Was that second verse sung during the war too, I wonder?

It seems to me that The Sun is muddling up the actual wartime versions with their reporters' own primary school memories. The verses that people sing now aren't necessarily the ones they sang then. I can believe the "Albert Hall" one, and definitely the "Goebbels" one, but some of the others seem more like juvenilia and less like propaganda...
Old 20 November 2008, 01:36 PM

As far as I know it was sung as morale-boosting during WWII by adults (my mother definately heard it during the war); as such there were almost certainly many versions - the one I have heard (and only one verse) was the one listing the various Nazi leaders and was purely designed to be derrogatory with little factual content (I doubt that Goebbels, with six children, "had no balls at all"). The Russian autopsy is of very dubious origen (as is the tale of Hitler dying by self-administered poison) as there is now evidence that he shot himself and his body (along with others) was then burnt.
Old 20 November 2008, 01:53 PM

I thought there were rumors about Hitler's testicle(s) going back to the stories surrounding Geli Raubal, Hitler's niece. Hitler was extremely close to her. She committed suicide under suspicious circumstances. I cannot find any cites for this, but the event happened either just before or after Hitler assumed power in Germany.
So, the lyrics could have been based on this, but as has been noted, the point was propaganda not veracity.

Ali "the first casualty" Infree
Old 20 November 2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
The Russian autopsy is of very dubious origen (as is the tale of Hitler dying by self-administered poison) as there is now evidence that he shot himself and his body (along with others) was then burnt.
None of which is inconsistent with the Russian autopsy... the main problem was that some of their records weren't as they should have been. There's also no evidence from the autopsy of a bullet wound to the head, although there was a big chunk of skull missing from fire damage from when the corpse was burned. I don't think the questions around the autopsy have much to do with this; the gist of it's not really under question.

And I realise the propaganda songs weren't "meant to be factual", but it still seems to me more than a coincidence that they contain such a specific claim that turned out to be accurate (at least, according to evidence from several separate sources). It's not as though there's a previous British tradition of denigrating enemies by claiming they have only one testicle - not that I know of, anyway. The nearest equivalent I can think of is the rumours about Napoleon's penis size.
Old 20 November 2008, 03:15 PM

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Many humorous or satirical verses have been sung to this tune; some of them vulgar ... The best known, which originated in England at the outset of World War II, goes by the title "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Kwai_March
Old 20 November 2008, 03:25 PM

Didn't Burke and Hare have only three balls between them?
Old 20 November 2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Guess the Sun was feeling a bit coy yesterday.
They're always coy with swears. Less coy with nipples though.