snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 19 June 2018, 03:53 PM

France Snopesters helping Snopesters

I hpe I'm in the right section here, but I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I'm planning a trip to London for this november, and would like to know if and where I can find a "Pearly Queen" (or a "Pearly King") doll as a birthday or Christmas gift for my Goddaughter. Can I find one at a souvenir shop, or must I look for it in specific addresses, and if so, where exactly ? Because my Google-Fu has so far failed me. So if any british Snopester could help me, taht would be much appreciated. Thanks by advance.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:40 PM

United Kingdom

A lot of the museum-linked gift shops (exit through the gift shop!) in London, and elsewhere in Europe, have bins of soft sculpture historical figures for Christmas ornaments. I've bought a Viking, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, and a British bobby on previous trips. I don't recall seeing this specific one, but it's of the same type so you might see them at, for example, the V&A or Museum of London gift shops.

Edit: the image was from Pinterest so I don't know the source.
Old 19 June 2018, 09:24 PM

I would have thought that any of the souvenir shops on Oxford street would have a doll like that, if anywhere does. But geographically, pearly kings and queens are particularly associated with the East End (or at least, I'd thought they were - apparently they're just working class in general, and I'd thought that because the East End was the main working class area... they're also a more recent and more specific and organised phenomenon than I'd thought!). So you could head out eastwards to Whitechapel or wherever if you're having trouble finding one.
Old 19 June 2018, 09:47 PM

Royalty

The company that makes those soft ornaments is St. Nicolas, and they do have both pearly king and queen ornaments. Perhaps you could contact them and see if they could point you to some retailers who carry them.
Old 24 June 2018, 09:40 AM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, as I was in London earlier this week. I was rather surprised to see how many souvenir shops there are near the main entrance of the British Museum, which is rather close to St. Paul's Church in Covent Garden, which seems to be their regular meeting place.

The Museum of London offers a Pearly King necklace on their website. Maybe they have something more in the physical shop?