snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 December 2017, 07:30 PM

Have to look at the link when home, blocked here at work. Kid just replied that any marker or multiliner would be appreciated he also added something called moleskins. Is that in line with these coated papers of which you speak? Sounded like he was speaking of papers. Kid needs to learn to be a bit more descriptive when talking to us non-artists who may not know to what he is referring.
Old 07 December 2017, 07:32 PM

Moleskine is a brand of journals/sketchbooks. I haven't used the sketchbooks, but my husband is partial to them for the journals.

https://us.moleskine.com/sketchbook-black/p0437
Old 26 June 2018, 11:44 PM

Resurrecting the thread, and the alcohol markers - has anybody used the refillable ones? I understand that some brands (Copic?) are refillable - and it seems the ones I have (Winsor and Newton) should be in theory, as you can take the nibs out and could therefore add more pigment.

I haven't been using them heavily so it took until last week for the first one to run out and need replacing. And I would quite like to be able to refill them to save on plastic, but I've never seen any evidence of separate refill packs. I don't think Winsor and Newton sell them, so either I'd have to gradually switch brands or just fill them with colours that might not quite match, but I haven't seen refills for any brands anyway. Do they exist, and how easy are they to find?
Old 27 June 2018, 02:12 AM

This is a store that I've ordered from for Art supplies. They have a brick and mortar store near me and they also have a catalog I've used to order from for my Art room.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/c...s-ink-refills/

https://www.dickblick.com/products/s...r-ink-refills/

Amazon

It doesn't look like your brand is supposed to be refillable, but if it's just applying new pigment to the marker, then it shouldn't matter other than the color match not being perfect.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:13 AM

Ah, cool, those are the sort of thing I'm looking for, thanks. I haven't seen them in any art shops near me so would probably have to go looking next time I'm in London, perhaps. I prefer buying in person, at least until I know what I'm doing. I'm sure I could use those to fill up the pens I currently have (the nibs come out easily enough to let you) but the ink wouldn't be an exact match so I might start to buy Copic markers instead... or I could scrape off the labels on my current pens and write my own...

(The art shop I went to in Chichester, which otherwise looked very good, didn't even seem to know what alcohol-based markers were - when I asked about them after looking round a bit, the guy said they didn't have them but "to be fair, I'm not sure they're even made any more"...! He must have thought I meant something else...)
Old 27 June 2018, 11:55 AM

I have a sizely collection of Prismacolor markers, which are not refillable. What I've been doing to extend the life of the markers is when they start to dry out (and this is a messy process and better done outside where there's ventilation, a lot of effort for not the best results admittedly) I yank the fatter nib out of the one end of the pen and use an eyedropper to add rubbing alcohol into the well of the pen. This doesn't refresh the ink color though, so it will be a more washed out shade of its former self and a little streakier, so it's better used for certain effects (uneven wood grain, distant grassy areas etc). For paler colors I don't bother with this at all.

The prisma refills seem to be lasting and doing well. Yes, you do have to eventually dispose of the ink bladder once it's empty of its refills but you'd do that way less frequently than throwing out the markers themselves every time they run dry.

My issue right now is that I like to do mixed media applications where I use marker over colored pencils... the problem is I haven't found a trick for this that prevents the marker nib from getting gunked up, or a way to clean the nib post-gunking. I've tried scraping the area off the marker nib with a sharp side of a scissor blade but that seems to cause as much damage as it fixes... I might experiment whether using a different colored pencil works, maybe the watercolor pencils will fare better as they're less waxy and I think that's the primary gunking agent..
Old 27 June 2018, 03:53 PM

What are you using the markers over the colored pencils for? A color change? Or a different colored effect?

Just for fun, you might want to play around with using q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol or baby oil over your colored pencils if you've never tried that before.

I prefer rubbing alcohol to the baby oil personally (partially because I don't like the smell of baby oil), but they have slightly different effects, so they're both fun to experiment with to see what they can do.
Old 29 June 2018, 01:17 AM

Yes to both- I used it once several years ago to create a night scene where I used (local color) colored pencil on all areas that were receiving some light from a window, and then went over those areas and the areas in shadow with blue markers that were similar in value. I really liked the effect, it seemed better than when I had experimented with just colored pencil on the light-receiving areas and marker on the shadow areas.

Different colored pencils react differently and I can't seem to trace exactly why. Ones all from the same brand and same package even and some will repel the marker color, leaving I guess a relief effect (as in the scene I described above), while some will "receive" the marker color to some extent and become altered/darkened/colored by it which I find helps to make an object or scene more unified... (I suppose this is based on the wax ratio in the individual colored pencil. I haven't tried it with my watercolor pencils I don't think)

That does sound like a cool idea though if I do a piece with just colored pencil and want to get painterly with it. Do you suppose the alcohol would disturb any inked lineart that was previously laid down? I suppose not since it is unaffected by alcohol based markers. I guess I'll have to play around with it