snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 21 March 2016, 11:59 AM

Mister Ed Woman charged for slapping police horse at KC Trump protest

A woman in the midst of the protests outside the rally for presidential candidate Donald Trump on March 12 was arrested on Friday for abuse of a police service animal.
http://fox4kc.com/2016/03/19/woman-c...trump-protest/
Old 21 March 2016, 12:03 PM

http://fox4kc.com/2016/03/19/woman-c...trump-protest/

Terribly constructed first sentence, as it makes it seem either that the arrest occurred in the midst of the protest or that while she happened to have been at the protest, she abused the horse separately from that. Might I suggest: "A woman was arrested on Friday for abuse of a police service animal in the midst of the protests outside the rally for presidential candidate Donald Trump on March 12." However, the purpose of the first line seems to have been to put the focus on the Trump rally rather than the criminal behavior.
Old 21 March 2016, 12:24 PM

Or to identify when and where the event took place, which is long-established journalistic practice.
Old 21 March 2016, 01:17 PM

Okay, fair enough. Maybe the real problem is that there is too much in that sentence. Perhaps the better approach would be a presentation such as "A woman slapped a police horse at the protests at the Trump rally in Kansas City, Mo. An arrest in that incident was made on Friday." and then the remainder of the article. Of course that would run afoul of the modern trend of having one sentence per paragraph, but I suppose they could have spaced those two sentences into two paragraphs. It would even make some sense, with first para being "Here's what happened then" and 2d para "Here's what happened recently about that"
Old 21 March 2016, 01:34 PM

Based on my memories of Newswriting 101, cramming as much information as possible into the first sentence of the article is also established journalistic practice.
Old 21 March 2016, 01:47 PM

The most astounding thing about that article is that it contains a quote from PETA that is sane, and that I don't entirely disagree with.
Old 21 March 2016, 02:15 PM

If the report's accurate, the woman was being both really obnoxious, and really unwise.

I at first assumed that "slapping" meant that she'd been crowded next to the horse and had slapped it on shoulder or side trying to make it move away -- which, unless one does something not ordinarily included in the term "slapping", wouldn't have particularly bothered the horse. But she apparently repeatedly slapped the horse in the face.

And I have got to say, that is one really well behaved horse. Because if it had slapped back, she might easily be in the hospital. Things you shouldn't need to tell people: an animal many times larger than you can hurt you!

(actually, so can one many times smaller than you . . . They are not stuffed toys!)
Old 21 March 2016, 02:24 PM

I wonder what she hoped would happen? It's unlikely she expected the horse to burst into tears - it sounds like what she wanted was either for the horse to bolt, which could have resulted in injuries to the protesters or else to buck and toss the policeman off which obviously could have resulted in injuries to him. I guess what it comes down to is someone getting carried away in the heat of the moment and doing something that is going to haunt her for a good long time.