snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 09 February 2018, 11:04 PM

I did my taxes today and found that I owe a fairly significant amount. Apparently I had way too little withheld with I filled out my W-4 when I started this job.
Old 10 February 2018, 09:45 PM

D'oh!

I just realized that I need to get a furnace filter because it's time to change the one already in there. I don't have one handy, so I have to go out in this nasty weather. Sigh.... And I'm still recovering from whatever crud I came down with last week. But at the same time, maybe this crud is allergy related and not the flu, so I'd best get my butt out to the Home Depot.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:49 PM

You could vacuum the old one to tide you over.
Old 14 February 2018, 11:20 AM

I had to manually scrape frost off of my car this morning--seems the defroster needs help at times.
Old 14 February 2018, 05:09 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
This evening my neighborhood smells like garbage and vomit. I don't know why.
If you lived in Köln or Mainz, or most anywhere in Germany, I would know why, but Florida ? Haven't a clue.
Old 14 February 2018, 08:19 PM

This seltzer can was too close to the back of the fridge and has tiny floating ice shards in it that feel like pulp while I'm drinking it. It makes me viscerally feel like something is wrong/"rotten" about the setlzer.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:41 AM

Royalty <- Prince Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
If you lived in Köln or Mainz, or most anywhere in Germany, I would know why, ...
Well, actually it's the South and West of Germany. North of Frankfurt and Münster and in most of the East there are only isolated brackets of Carnival.

How do you know, Keket? Do you live close to Germany?
Old 15 February 2018, 05:33 PM

I have an Android phone as my personal cell, but I have an iPhone for work. The autocorrect on the latter is so annoying. Not only does it try to turn every name or abbreviation into the nearest common noun and make texting my Spanish-speaking clients a nightmare, it also lacks a number of English words I use on a regular basis in texts with my supervisor and newer attorneys I'm instructing. I had to ask my supervisor if I should 170.6 a particular judge on a subdural hematoma/possible AHT and my phone just about asploded.
Old 15 February 2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Well, actually it's the South and West of Germany. North of Frankfurt and Münster and in most of the East there are only isolated brackets of Carnival.
And central Switzerland, but Basel's confused doesn't start until Monday. Which is after Lent starts. No idea why.

I'm tired of the cheesy decorations in the middle of town. They should have been taken down yesterday, but because of the snow/rain, the decorations are still up.
Old 15 February 2018, 06:42 PM

Esprise Me, can you just turn the autocorrect off?

-- my current first world problem: I bought a new mouse. (That's not the problem.) The old mouse ran off a USB wire, and I was sick of the wire draping around the keyboard shelf; plus which, the scroll wheel stopped working right. I might be able to fix that by cleaning it, but my usual methods of cleaning it without dismantling it didn't work, and I didn't want to take it apart to clean it until I had another mouse, in case I broke it instead of fixing it.

None of that is the problem either. The problem is that the old mouse's scroll wheel, at least when working right, moved entirely smoothly and silently. The new one has a tangible clicky ratchety feel, accompanied by a slight but, to me, noticeable sound. Googling around about this leads me to suspect that this is utterly normal, and I'm just not used to it because I somehow lucked out on the previous one.

I suppose I'll get used to it fairly soon. And it's definitely a First World Problem. But it's mildly annoying right now, all the same. -- if I press down a little harder, the sound disappears, though the ratchety feel's still there. But if I press down a little harder than that, the scroll itself clicks; which is undoubtedly supposed to accomplish something, but I haven't yet figured out what -- oh! that puts it in a fast scroll mode! That part is nice.
Old 15 February 2018, 07:38 PM

On the flip side, I hate wireless mice and non-haptic scroll wheels (non-haptic buttons or keys too). Wireless mice never seem to track as smoothly and non-haptic scroll wheels or buttons mean I have to wait for screen feedback to make sure it is doing whatever correctly. For example, each click on my mouse scroll wheel is three lines of text in my editor window. So I can mentally tabulate the clicks to know how far I'm scrolling down.
Old 15 February 2018, 07:48 PM

Just for fun I decided to search for "superb owl" on Google. All the results were for the Super Bowl! That's not what I wanted! I actually wanted to see owls! Even when I put quotes around each individual word Google gives me a a box at the top of the page with the Super Bowl score and a box on the right with information about the Super Bowl from Wikipedia, although the actual results are about owls. And "superb owl" memes.
Old 15 February 2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Wireless mice never seem to track as smoothly and non-haptic scroll wheels or buttons mean I have to wait for screen feedback to make sure it is doing whatever correctly. For example, each click on my mouse scroll wheel is three lines of text in my editor window. So I can mentally tabulate the clicks to know how far I'm scrolling down.
This works off a Logitech dongle, and seems to respond as fast as the wired one.

It never occured to me to keep track of where I am in something I'm writing by counting the lines; I always look to see what it's saying in any case. But then, I prefer to work in wrap-to-window anyway, and just convert to page view when I'm done if it's going somewhere that needs one; so the line counts don't necessarily stay the same anyway. [ETA: and, when I'm scrolling through a browser window, or an email someone else sent me, I wouldn't know what line number I want to be on anyway.]

That would depend on what you're working with, of course. If you're working with something that needs frequent reference by line numbers, my technique wouldn't work at all.

ETA: I do like feedback in keys and buttons; including audible feedback in the form of a slight click.

Last edited by thorny locust; 15 February 2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 16 February 2018, 02:19 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Just for fun I decided to search for "superb owl" on Google. All the results were for the Super Bowl! That's not what I wanted! I actually wanted to see owls!
What you want is the verbatim function. Go to Tools, All Results and click the drop down arrow. That's the only way I know of to get Google to give you exactly what you ask for.

Seaboe
Old 16 February 2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
It never occured to me to keep track of where I am in something I'm writing by counting the lines; I always look to see what it's saying in any case.
It isn't strictly counting as in 1...2...3, three! Three clicks of the scroll wheel! Ah-ha-ha! More like having the scroll wheel clicking allows me to know where I am moving to better. And I deal in strict line counts all the time as I'm mostly writing code, which doesn't wrap, so a line will always be in the same place no matter how long it is or how wide the screen is.
Old 17 February 2018, 03:32 AM

My ATM is gone!! When I first moved in to here about 19 years ago there was a branch of my bank just done the road. It went years ago but as there was still a ATM is was ok. I went done to get some money out yesterday and it gone, gone. No sign explaining, no indication of where there is another, nothing, just a boarded up hole.

I went online to see where there is another but according to my banks website it is still there. And there is no sign to explain that it is just temporary while they update or whatever.

Now I get I can withdraw cash from the supermarket but I live week to week at times. For example the pension went in Thursday, but the mortgage repayment came out yesterday so I really like to get the print out docket from the ATM so I can track how much I have.

This is all due to change very soon* but it may be a week or so before this happens, so I really need to keep track of how much I have. Very annoying.

*and I will let you all know when it all officially official.
Old 17 February 2018, 05:03 AM

I just realized that Monday is a holiday, so if I try to go see Black Panther, the theater is probably going to be crowded. I'll have to wait until Tuesday.
Old 17 February 2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
What you want is the verbatim function. Go to Tools, All Results and click the drop down arrow. That's the only way I know of to get Google to give you exactly what you ask for.

Seaboe
The other way is to search with a minus sign. That will remove that specific search term from the results. So you would do "superb owl" -"super bowl"
That should get you the results you want.
Old 17 February 2018, 11:06 PM

iTunes has become a total piece of excrement. It destroys every setup, copies things without asking, deletes things without asking! You really have to try to make it this awful and even then it takes real talent. The most annoying thing is Apple doesn't let you do it any other way.

To top it all off, every other system has its own problems that are collectively worse, in aggregate, than this dumpster, which is itself an amazing feat performed every day by every Android device in existence. I just want to plug a device into a computer and add or remove anything I want on it. Is that really that difficult to do? We know it isn't because that's how various systems used to work. But all these companies are so focused on the one goal of keeping us in their own ecosystems that it's become totally pointless to have all this computing power. They've made crappy entertainment appliances that make cable TV look good. I can understand why other companies want a slurp of the never-ending payment trough but Apple is making enough money that they should be able to provide some user freedom without fear of losing a few cents on the dollar.
Old 17 February 2018, 11:53 PM

That's why I haven't bothered updating my iPod in four years.