snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 03 January 2018, 01:42 AM

Default Little things that annoy you

The cold, dry air here is really irritating the inside of my nose. As usual, I've already had a couple of nosebleeds, but even without that it's rather painful.
Old 03 January 2018, 12:24 PM

Heavt breathing

A humidifier--either whole house or desktop one--is your friend. You can also try some saline spray.
Old 03 January 2018, 02:16 PM

One my of my cats likes to walk under foot. It is an outdoor cat, so most of the time, I'm not around it. The cat also likes to rub all over and walk under foot of one of my dogs when he (the dog) is outside. I'm surprised I haven't either tripped over it and hurt myself or the cat.
Old 03 January 2018, 02:52 PM

My family gave me a new computer. This doesn't annoy me in the least; very much the reverse. What annoys me is this:

The instructions say to read a guide before setting up the computer. The guide, however, is not included as a printout in the box: it's available online. In Apple Books format. Which requires an OS that my old computer is not capable of updating to. It's because I can't update the old one that I need a new one. So . . . I can't get the guide that I'm supposed to read before setting up the new computer until after I set up the new computer. I'm annoyed that they didn't just make it a PDF.

(There is something of a workaround, which makes it only a little thing annoying me: I can read it online on the old one, and copy bits of it and print it out. I can't read it online on the old one while setting up the new one, however, because I have to disconnect the old one before setting up the new one, because there's only one monitor and keyboard involved (they're both mini macs.)
Old 03 January 2018, 02:58 PM

1. My co-workers send OOTO calendar items with reminders on them. I don't need a reminder 15 minutes before Horatio leaves for his afternoon off.

2. WageWorks once again sent me a bus pass that cannot be activated and used, because the hard expiration date on the back is 12/31/2017. At least this time I found out before I tried to use the damn thing. But now I have to leave early one day, or make a special trip, to stop at the transit office and exchange it for a usable pass.
Old 03 January 2018, 03:11 PM

A gift card was rejected since it was expired. The clerk pointed out that it expired on October 25th, and didn't understand when I explained that 10/25 means October of 2025. He just looked at me and said "October was a couple of months ago." I was able to use the card elsewhere, but the point of the gift card was my sister wanted my son to be able to take me to the Last Jedi and binge on movie food, not for me to pay for the movie and food and use the gift card to buy groceries the next day.
Old 03 January 2018, 03:13 PM

[head-desk] Did you thank him for idiot-splaining the calendar to you?
Old 03 January 2018, 03:22 PM

Glasses

I have two:

1. My computer refused to recognize my smart badge this morning (obviously, I got it to work or you wouldn't be reading this).

b. I sent a legal hold out before Xmas, and am now getting people saying "what is this about?" Well, maybe if you read the d*mn thing you'd be able to figure it out. And don't expect me to believe the reminder is the first message you got when I got your out of office for the original.

I was actually more annoyed by the first than the second; the second is, sadly, business as usual.

Seaboe
Old 03 January 2018, 04:47 PM

My feet.

I know I've complained about them here before but god, nothing makes me feel lousier than going shoe-shopping. I'll see shoes I like, but don't love, and I can't justify spending howevermuch money on a pair of shoes I don't love. Even if I love them, I try them on and it feels like standing on a bunch of fabric covered rocks at best. That's if they fit at all. Why do designers make shoes with absolutely no cushion on the bottom whatsoever? I know, because unfortunately for us they know we'll buy them anyway. So I wind up spending ages in the store and leaving emptyhanded, exhausted, and bad about myself.

So I guess my problem is multifold-
1. Having feet that are too wide and too short and with too high an arch
2. Caring about having shoes that don't feel like crap
3. Not having enough money to afford good quality shoes.
Old 03 January 2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
So I guess my problem is multifold-
1. Having feet that are too wide and too short and with too high an arch
I would really like to introduce quite a few manufacturers, some of them of expensive items, and in fact would really like to introduce society as a whole to a Radical New Concept:

Shoes and other clothing are supposed to fit the body.

Not the other way around.

-- Your feet are not too wide, too short, and too high-arched. The shoes available are too narrow, too long, and not high-arched enough -- at any rate, for your feet. It might be more accurate to say that the shoes available are not made in enough shapes.

There are actually lots of people with wide short feet. (Raises hand. Which is also wide and short; glove manufactures please take note, though a few of them have.) And while there are certainly people whose feet taper more than mine do at the toes, there is almost nobody whose toes are shaped the way almost all women's, and some men's, shoes are shaped.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:02 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
A gift card was rejected since it was expired. The clerk pointed out that it expired on October 25th, and didn't understand when I explained that 10/25 means October of 2025. He just looked at me and said "October was a couple of months ago."
This joker must be the only person in the world who looks at that date format and thinks it means 10/25/current (or preceding) year.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:03 PM

We're lucky to have a nearby shoe store that specializes in wide width shoes. I used to have to get size 12 or 13 shoes to get enough width. Now I can actually buy the size I need. Not the cheapest, but excellent quality.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:10 PM

Bang Head

My father was one of those rare men whose shoe width was not D or E. He had no problem finding work shoes, but there was only one semi-local shoe store that sold dress shoes in his size.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:20 PM

Theme Icon

The little thing that annoys me now is people who are already taking down Christmas decorations. I realize Christmas is a secular one-day holiday for some, but for most Christians (and those who hold on to their traditions) December 25 - or the evening of December 24 - is the START of Christmas, and nothing comes down until the evening of January 6 at the earliest.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:24 PM

The reserve function on my library's website apparently is not working. Fortunately I checked my list of requests after submitting one today, or I wouldn't have known that it, and the one I submitted earlier this week, hadn't gone anywhere. I think those are the only two that are "lost," but it's possible I submitted others that never went anywhere. I tend to forget about them until I get the notice that they're ready for pickup.

Both the missing requests are for books that I expect there to be a lot of demand for due to current events, so the delay caused by this malfunction may have pushed me to the bottom of a long list.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
This joker must be the only person in the world who looks at that date format and thinks it means 10/25/current (or preceding) year.
Now that the year has rolled, that card is good for another 10 months. Clearly they just don't want it to be used in November or December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
The little thing that annoys me now is people who are already taking down Christmas decorations. I realize Christmas is a secular one-day holiday for some, but for most Christians (and those who hold on to their traditions) December 25 - or the evening of December 24 - is the START of Christmas, and nothing comes down until the evening of January 6 at the earliest.
Even for Christians, what percentage of their decorations are celebrations of the Christian Christmas season? I could see keeping a nativity seen up, but surely there is nothing wrong with taking down a Santa Claus decoration after the 25th.
Old 03 January 2018, 08:04 PM

Theme Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
As a rule, my inside decorations come down on the first weekend after New Year's. The yard light displays will be turned off at the same time with just the eaves lights on until mid January when everything is shut off.
Old 03 January 2018, 08:26 PM

LTTAM: The Capitalization In This Thread Title.
Old 03 January 2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Even for Christians, what percentage of their decorations are celebrations of the Christian Christmas season?
Depending on how strict you want to interpret things, no typical Christmas decoration is Christian. The standard Nativity scene with both shepherds and wise men does not match any biblical scripture and is countered by Matthew 2.
Old 03 January 2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
LTTAM: The Capitalization In This Thread Title.
Funny. Lack of capitalization in the titles of other threads annoys me.