snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 09 December 2017, 04:21 AM

Sounds like the outsourced writing the descriptions to China.
Old 09 December 2017, 06:21 AM

Yeah I was wondering about that. But none of the other descriptions are that wacky. I mean there are typos like random punctuation and inverted commas where I would guess they are wondering if the "word" is the correct one.

But this one was so out there I had to come here and repeat it. I did wonder if the person doing the description was unfamiliar with the story and decided to cut and paste a description from the internet without reading it. I mean Roald Dayl was a bit wacky but not that far out.

Last edited by Dasla; 09 December 2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09 December 2017, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the laugh, Dasla
Old 10 December 2017, 01:00 AM

I moved into a new apartment in May. Apparently this neighborhood has a gigantic holiday block party every year, which I didn't even know about until an hour ago, when I noticed approximately one thousand cars passing down my street, searching in vain for a parking space.

So I took a walk to investigate, and found a couple of streets that had been closed off by the police. Every house on these streets was decorated to the nines, and a bunch of them even had live bands playing little concerts on their front porches. There was a huge crowd milling around, enjoying the music and chatting.

On one hand, the whole thing kind of reminded me of shows about the suburbs, like Desperate Housewives or Big Little Lies. For at least some of the people who live on those streets, the pressure to decorate their houses perfectly - knowing that hundreds of people will be walking by and checking them out - must be pretty intense.

On the other, happier hand, the whole thing was actually quite pleasant and festive. I'm glad I made the effort to check it out.
Old 11 December 2017, 09:42 AM

My neighbour gave me a stack of really thick short planks that would be great for tiered shelves for my plants so I started moving them all to the other side of the yard today and I took the opportunity to repot the ones that had outgrown their pots and that meant I got to tackle this nasty piece of work:

It's grown a bit in the past year so it's almost up to eye height, and those spines are super super sharp and several inches long in most cases. I made sure to wear my thickest gardening gloves (the spines easily went right through them but they gave some protection) and even safety goggles. Rather than trying to grasp the cactus and lift it I just cut the old pot away from it.

I planted it in a much bigger pot so hopefully I won't need to repot it for another few years.
Old 11 December 2017, 12:25 PM

What is up with you Australians? Do you have ANYTHING around your house that can't kill you? it is a beautiful plant, however.
Old 11 December 2017, 12:53 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
What is up with you Australians? Do you have ANYTHING around your house that can't kill you? it is a beautiful plant, however.
Pssssssst. Cacti are New World. Australia is Old World.
Old 11 December 2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Pssssssst. Cacti are New World. Australia is Old World.
I know, but of all the things from the New World to being into Australia, he picked that.

Actually, is Australia Old World or something different? I always thought Old World meant Europe, Asia, and Africa, the parts of the world generally known to Europeans in the early whatevers, and New World was the Americas, and Australia was...also a part of the world.
Old 11 December 2017, 03:07 PM

To me, New World is areas that have were colonized by non-indigenous peoples in "recent" history.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:40 PM

New World usually refers to the Americas though in wine the term also encompasses Oceania and parts of Africa.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:24 AM

Australia is the Under World
Old 12 December 2017, 02:58 AM

I'm still moving plants today. There were maybe 100 potted plants crammed into that part of the yard and they've all grown intertwined through each other and half of them need to be repotted so it's slow going.

I know there's a big rats nest somewhere in there as well, and every time I remove another plant I get one step closer to finding it. I thought the stray cat took care of all the rats but when I was taking a break earlier I saw a HUGE rat saunter out of the remaining plants and wander off to a different part of the garden so there's a non-zero chance there's a bunch more rats in there. I'll definitely uncover the nest sometime today or tomorrow so at the moment it feels like I'm playing a bizarre TV game show called RATSPLOSION where at any time the jackpot could go off and I'll be showered with angry rats.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:40 AM

Whalephant

I always think of Australia as Old World. Maybe something to do with the Wallace Line?

So anyhow, I get up this afternoon and my current roll of toilet paper is lying shredded on the floor of the bathroom (I leave it on the counter because if it's on the roller the cat shreds it; mostly on the counter she ignores it). I scold the pleased-looking cat and mention this at dinner with my dad. My dad's not helpful response: Sounds to me like someone broke in and did that.

I can't believe he sides with the cat.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:52 AM

We hand friends over on Saturday to do our annual backing and decorating of Christmas cookies. Here are some of the results.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TV7F6BLaRhPbPPBP2
Old 12 December 2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
My last name is an actual word in the English language and it is mispronounced often.
I read this and saw from your profile that your last initial is "W", and for some reason decided that your name must be Bob Wheelbarrow, pronounced "Wilbareau".

I'd been hoping that there would be a natural moment to drop that into the thread, but I guess the chance has gone now and I will just have to throw it in the middle like that.

(If that really is your name and you'd rather not have it up there, then let me know before the end of the edit window!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
My neighbour gave me a stack of really thick short planks ...
Ha ha, Gutter Monkey's as thick as two short planks! In fact he's as thick as a whole stack of short planks!

I would call Australia "New World" personally. My definition is the same as GenYus's (although possibly more to do with simple "discovery" by Westerners without necessarily involving colonization), and by those standards Australia and New Zealand are even newer than the Americas. The one I would be confused about is South Africa. By wine standards, again it's New World, but presumably the wine definition involves the start of viticulture. By virtue of being in Africa, it's definitely Old World, but if you go with GenYus's definition of colonisation it becomes New World again. (Hence the introduction of viticulture when it was colonised). So my definition of "discovery by the West" helps - us Europeans knew it was there long before we colonised it, even if we might not have visited, and so it's Old World.

"Did the Greeks and Romans know about it (even if all they knew was myth and conjecture)?" is probably the best definition.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:48 PM

I mean colonize more in the "moving in" sense than the "ruling the native people" sense as the latter would have made most of the planet into the New World at one point or another. Essentially I'd consider any place where the indigenous people make up a minority of the current population as a New World location.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:54 PM

Richard W, how did you figure out my last name? Now the whole world knows! I'll soon be inundated with companies wanting me to endorse their wheelbarrows. Wait. That sound like a money making opportunity. Carry on!

Actually I came to post some news that now pales in comparison.

After over twenty years I am leaving the exciting world of tax preparation to become comptroller of a local company. No more overtime or weekends in the office. Best part is no real loss of income (a bit smaller annual salary, but not enough to worry about) and looking at it as hourly pay, a big pump in hourly rate.

Merry Christmas to me and I am looking forward to a bright new year with time to take part in Florida winter activities I have missed over the years.

Festivals, art shows and the like, here I come!

Photo "Now that my last name is public info I might have to move to Canada" Bob
Old 12 December 2017, 01:56 PM

Congratulations, Bob!
Old 12 December 2017, 02:30 PM

Thanks, Lainie,

My family and I are really looking forward to this change. It has been years in the making and really took just the right opportunity for me to take the leap.
Old 12 December 2017, 02:44 PM

Glasses

I am in the office this morning, but if I finish off a box of Kleenex (TM), I will be going home.

I want my nose to stop running.

Seaboe