snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 December 2017, 11:25 AM

Airplane Unhijackable

Housemate: Hey GM do you have any Western-themed items I can borrow for a display at work?

GM: I don't think so but I'll have a look

/5 minutes later

GM: What the heck, why do I have so many Western-themed items???

I was going to use the saddle for a stunt but I can't even remember why I own actual wearable metal spurs.
Old 06 December 2017, 11:28 AM

Posting to add: my housemate's workplace decided to assign all the teams a different theme for their Christmas decoration competition and her team got a 'Western' theme. That's weird but cool I guess?
Old 06 December 2017, 01:25 PM

GM, at this point it wouldn't surprise me to find out you had a full size animatronic horse.
Old 06 December 2017, 01:34 PM

Made of cardboard!
Old 06 December 2017, 01:37 PM

If we are talking cardboard constructions, I'd expect nothing less than a full sized working replica of a Concord stagecoach.
Old 06 December 2017, 02:07 PM

GM, that's not a western saddle.

https://www.equisearch.com/articles/...-saddles-20068
Old 06 December 2017, 02:46 PM

Glasses

It's not a western American saddle. Maybe it is in Oz.

I wanted to link to Photo Bob's last post in the closed thread, but don't know how. It was about the person who kept alive their dog who'd had a stroke.

When I was 19, the dog we'd had since I was 5 had a stroke. She could not stand, so we had her put down. When we took her to the vet school, the student at the intake desk said "Oh, dogs don't have strokes. They only have [insert medical term that means stroke]."

In contrast, my friend S's cat had a stroke, and recovered sufficiently to be taken home from the vet's. He only lived about three more months, but that was because he was a very old cat, not because of the stroke.

I guess my point is that while it was cruel in this case not to put the animal down, some can recover and continue to live worthwhile lives.

Seaboe
Old 06 December 2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
It's not a western American saddle. Maybe it is in Oz.
Well, that's a point. But it's accompanied in the picture by a rope. The thing is, Western saddles are designed to accomodate roping, both by being designed so the rope can be wrapped to the saddle and by being designed to help the rider stay in the saddle while holding a rope that's being pulled on. English/hunt seat/saddle seat saddles are not designed for such use, and have neither of those arrangements.
Old 06 December 2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
GM, that's not a western saddle.
Yeah I know but it's all I've got and I'm betting that most people won't even know the difference.
Old 06 December 2017, 04:08 PM

Cardboard/paper mache pommel and cantle?

Presumably nobody's actually going to be using the thing, so they wouldn't need to be sturdy. The stirrups still wouldn't be right, but you'd have made a swipe at it.

You may, however, be right that almost nobody will notice.
Old 07 December 2017, 07:09 AM

Whalephant

Just overheard: So I told him, "you're my intellectual equal. I don't get that nowhere else."
Old 07 December 2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I guess my point is that while it was cruel in this case not to put the animal down, some can recover and continue to live worthwhile lives.

Seaboe
I was a bit surprised about the stroke thing. I've seen friends' dogs recover from a stroke in a matter of days with little evidence that anything had happened.

I kind of got the impression that there was more at play here, that there were preexisting medical condition that the poster chose to ignore.
Old 07 December 2017, 02:38 PM

Glasses

Or it was just a particularly severe stroke. The one Ladybird (my childhood dog) had was severe. Her whole left side, particularly left front, was paralyzed. She could not stand. Her only underlying medical issue was a bad back (if you don't count old age).

Still the situation you describe was cruel and unusual punishment for the dog, for no other sin than being loved. Sigh.

Seaboe
Old 07 December 2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Just overheard: So I told him, "you're my intellectual equal. I don't get that nowhere else."
A titan of intellect, with the double negatives...
Old 07 December 2017, 04:59 PM

An advantage (in some situations) of having a last name spelled differently, is that people mispronounce it. For distance, when I had a landline phone, I could always tell it was someone asking for money or a scammer because they would always say it wrong. My last name is somewhat common, but the way I spell it isn't. So it would always get misspelled or said wrong. It really isn't that annoying. I'm used to hearing it wrong, seeing it misspelled, or having to spell it out for people. If I had my mom's maiden name, I would have to be doing the same thing.
Old 07 December 2017, 06:51 PM

Glasses

I once worked for a law firm called (at that time) Foster, Pepper & Shefelman. We always spelled Shefelman when giving the name over the phone.

Then we received a package addressed to Forster, Peppermint & Shefelman, after which we spelled Foster, specified "Pepper, like the spice" and spelled Shefelman.

Seaboe
Old 08 December 2017, 05:56 AM

I have an uncommon first name, that isn't easily recognisable as male or female. When I had a minor surgery last week, I afterwards got a letter from the hospital to my doctor specifying the surgery done and the aftercare administered. It started with "Mr. Lastname presented himself..." and "Mr. Lastname was admitted for surgery...", but after telling about the surgery it went on "Mrs. Lastname was admitted to the post-operative ward..." and "Mrs. Lastname is released home..." It certainly looks like they operated more than I agreed in!

In reality, I guess someone started writing the letter assuming the patient was female, and later changed it, but only on the first page. I was told it was a busy week in the hospital.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:51 PM

My last name is an actual word in the English language and it is mispronounced often.

Not sure why. I could understand if English was not their first language, but in most cases it is.

On a similar note some company we dealt with (I think for phone service) abbreviated Robert as Robt. I would get calls asking for Robt. Not sure if they wee pronouncing it correctly or not, but it often included the mispronunciation of my last name.

I am also often referred to as Mr. Jr. in both written messages and via phone. I am named after my father so I am a Junior" though I prefer *Full Name* the last.
Old 08 December 2017, 06:19 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
A titan of intellect, with the double negatives...
Her entire 2 hour conversation with her two friends was like that snippet but with at least one obscenity in every sentence. Bonus points for publicly declaring that she didn't give a NFBSK about following HIPAA privacy laws.
Old 09 December 2017, 01:42 AM

I was checking what was coming on up on TV for the next few days and noticed that "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was listed and clicked on the on screen information to see if it was the Gene Wilder (?) version or the Johnny Depp version (although the name would suggest it was the Gene Wilder version) only to get this summery of the plot

"Charlie receives a golden ticket to a factory. His sweet tooth wants going into the lushing candy. It turns out there's an adventure in everything"

.....What?