snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 December 2017, 01:20 AM

But after more than a century it's time for a moratorium on remakes. Please.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:47 PM

And is not limited to movies either. Comic books have rebooted classic characters set them in alternate universes multiple times. Authors do it too, Mercedes Lackey has had a number of successful novels where she retells classic fairy tales. David Drake does it with science fiction re-tellings of the adventures historical figures such as Sir Francis Drake (no relation*) or Commodore William Perry.

* In his first novel, he tells the story of how a distant ancestor had a genealogy study done to prove that the ancestor was not related to the common-born pirate Francis Drake.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I can actually answer this one! It seems like that, because this is when you are living and you don't know the full history of film. The first feature length sequel was made in 1916 - The Fall of a Nation, sequel to The Birth of a Nation. The first remake was in 1905 - The Great Train Robbery was remade after first being filmed in 1904. It comes down to remakes, sequels, prequels, or offshoots are some of the most bankable things in Hollywood, so they've been doing it all along. The norm in Hollywood is to be awash in these things, not to be free of them.
So the current presidency is the third movie in the trilogy with "Birth of a Nation" and "Fall of a nation"?
Old 01 December 2017, 04:18 PM

I'd like to see more new stuff myself, but I don't need or expect a moratorium on remakes any more than I expect one on action movies, which I'd also prefer to see less of.

ETA: And it's more than a century. Re-telling old tales is a very old tradition. I don't see a significant difference between doing so orally, in print, or on film.
Old 03 December 2017, 01:25 PM

Yesterday, I was driving around and saw two political signs for races that are over. One for a mayoral race, and the person that the sign was supporting didn't make it past the primaries. The other sign was for a person that, I think, was running for city council. The election this guy was in was over a year ago. Both the signs were in spots that weren't the easiest to get to. One was on a big mound of dirt. The other was a tree high enough where you would need to get on a ladder or stand on something to put up/take down.
So my stupid question is: why do people put up political signs in places, and then for whatever reason don't take down?
Old 04 December 2017, 02:27 AM

My tomato plants have a bunch of green tomatoes left on them. The weather hasn't yet gotten cold enough here to kill the plants, but it's cool enough that they're not likely to ripen if just left on the plants. Is there anything I can do with green tomatoes? That Southern dish of fried green tomatoes doesn't sound too appealing to me (And the times I've tried making similar fried vegetable dishes, like eggplant, didn't turn out too well. So I prefer leaving them to trained chefs if I'm going to eat them) but are there any other dishes that can be made with green tomatoes? Or if I pick them and bring them inside will they ripen?
Old 04 December 2017, 08:34 AM

Friends of us ripen tomatoes on the windowsill.
Old 04 December 2017, 12:33 PM

You could probably find recipes for relish/salsa/chutney.
Old 04 December 2017, 01:03 PM

We have ripened them in a brown paper bag, as I believe some gas they give off makes them ripen faster. Or just make relish.
Old 04 December 2017, 01:39 PM

FWIW, the key to breading/frying veggies like eggplant and tomato, IME, is removing enough moisture.
Old 04 December 2017, 02:25 PM

If they're close enough to ripe, they may ripen indoors. They won't develop full flavor, but may still have more flavor than most of the ones in the grocery store -- depends on how close to ripe they were. Keep them somewhere that's above 50.

There are lots of green tomato recipes. As others have said, green tomato relish comes to mind. You can even just cut some into a stirfry with other things.

I will admit, however, to just being not all that wild about green tomatoes, though I love the ripe ones.
Old 04 December 2017, 02:30 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I will admit, however, to just being not all that wild about green tomatoes, though I love the ripe ones.
Agreed. I'm ecstatic when my tomatoes are ready to harvest each year, but I've never found a way to make the green tomatoes palatable.
Old 04 December 2017, 03:13 PM

Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Do cows commonly 'make friends' with other cows such that when they are spread out over a field grazing each day they generally form the same groups?
Huh, I just coincidentally stumbled over this article called 'The Science of Cow Friendship': https://www.barnsanctuary.org/blog/s...-best-friends/

It doesn't exactly answer your question but it does suggest that cows do indeed form special friendships
Old 04 December 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Friends of us ripen tomatoes on the windowsill.
That's always worked for me.
Old 04 December 2017, 04:12 PM

GM, thank you; that's a fascinating article and it answered my question well enough.
Old 04 December 2017, 04:42 PM

Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Huh, I just coincidentally stumbled over this article called 'The Science of Cow Friendship': https://www.barnsanctuary.org/blog/s...-best-friends/

It doesn't exactly answer your question but it does suggest that cows do indeed form special friendships
And in a moment of serendipity, my iPod starts playing For All the Cows by the Foo Fighters as I read this post.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:31 PM

I was reminded by one of the photos in this article of something I've wondered about before:

When ancient coins (those minted up to late medieval times, I suppose) were new, were they actually round, or were they the irregular shapes that they always seem to be when they're dug up?

I used to assume that they would have been round, and the odd shapes just came from long usage and then being buried for a thousand years or so. But I'm not so sure any more. Some of the irregularity could be from erosion or wear-and-tear or from practices such as clipping, but a lot of them look as though they were actually stamped on irregular pieces of metal as well. For example, in the picture of coins in the article above, you can see some where the circular design is well inside the edge of the coin - rather than off the edge, as it would be if part of the edge had gone missing.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:46 PM

When touring the Mary Rose museum in England, there was a demonstration of coin minting of the time (1500's). The coins were hand stamped from a blank using two dies. With the variations inherit in hand stamping, plus the expected variations in blank size and weight, none of the newly minted coins were perfectly round.
Old 05 December 2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
We have ripened them in a brown paper bag, as I believe some gas they give off makes them ripen faster. Or just make relish.
Bananas give off ethylene which is the plant ripening hormone. If you put it in a paper bag with a ripe banana it might help. If you can get a ripe banana.

I have been reading my plant science book and apparently ethylene is used in commercial crops of tomatoes that are picked all at once by machine. But this is while they are still on the plant.
Old 05 December 2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
When touring the Mary Rose museum in England, there was a demonstration of coin minting of the time (1500's). The coins were hand stamped from a blank using two dies.
I should go there - it's not that far from my parents and I'm interested in that sort of thing. I think I saw the Mary Rose once soon after it had been recovered, but it wasn't set up in an impressive museum like it is now.

One of my parents' friends was a naval diver and has an MBE for being Prince Charles's dive buddy when Charles visited the wreck.