snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 14 February 2018, 12:22 AM
RichardM RichardM is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 4,044
Default

Casey, that is a part of Obama care that doesn't receive much notice and that is controlling unneeded testing. Physicians are supposed to be keeping track of testing so that if a patient is referred to a specialist, that specialist doesn't order the same tests as previously done. That part of Obama care is liked by insurance companies. I personally try to understand what tests are being run on me so that I don't have to put myself through something not needed. I also keep track of what test results are. For example, every blood test I have had for the past several years shows high potassium levels. Not overly high, just a little bit high. So unless that changes, I don't worry.

ETA: One reason to order extra tests is to reduce the liability to the physician. If a patient comes in complaining of a stomach ache and then dies of a heart attack, you might be liable for not ordering an EKG (assuming I got the initials right.)
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 14 February 2018, 01:31 AM
dfresh dfresh is offline
 
Join Date: 11 November 2005
Location: Oxford, PA
Posts: 3,968
Default

Yeah, but I think a lot of the unneeded testing is due to doctors owning shares in the testing places. I had extreme neck pain and went to the ER to get it looked at (the urgent care place had shut for the night.) I figured it was a major infection. The doctor ordered a MRI and a CAT scan. Officially, it was just to make sure that there wasn't anything more than an infection. In reality, it was since the testing place was owned by the hospital, and they got to charge me a couple of thousand dollars. In the end, I got what I would have gotten a lot faster if the doc in the box was open: a bottle of antibiotics.
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 14 February 2018, 03:04 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 11 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,009
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Dear Casey: You may want to have this on a continuous loop in your office.
If you get tired of the song, I'll provide a few Scrubs clips to have on playback. Doctor Cox saying No! and Wrong Wrong Wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 14 February 2018, 12:17 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 15,854
Icon06

Dear Flanders:
You would have turned 14 today. I still can't believe you left this world so suddenly. One minute you were fine, five minutes later, you'd lost the use of your back end. Earthly life can really suck sometimes.
~Me
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 15 February 2018, 07:46 PM
Casey's Avatar
Casey Casey is offline
 
Join Date: 15 December 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Casey, that is a part of Obama care that doesn't receive much notice and that is controlling unneeded testing. Physicians are supposed to be keeping track of testing so that if a patient is referred to a specialist, that specialist doesn't order the same tests as previously done. That part of Obama care is liked by insurance companies. I personally try to understand what tests are being run on me so that I don't have to put myself through something not needed. I also keep track of what test results are. For example, every blood test I have had for the past several years shows high potassium levels. Not overly high, just a little bit high. So unless that changes, I don't worry.

ETA: One reason to order extra tests is to reduce the liability to the physician. If a patient comes in complaining of a stomach ache and then dies of a heart attack, you might be liable for not ordering an EKG (assuming I got the initials right.)
I get the reduction of liability, but the insanity was one particular doc. He would order CTs on everyone. That's not a reduction of liability, that's just sloppiness. I know that I don't own any part of any imaging center (nor does the PA or the other MD) but I don't know about that doc we let go.

If you're tracking results, that's the kind of thing I love to see. Makes my life infinitely easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Yeah, but I think a lot of the unneeded testing is due to doctors owning shares in the testing places. I had extreme neck pain and went to the ER to get it looked at (the urgent care place had shut for the night.) I figured it was a major infection. The doctor ordered a MRI and a CAT scan. Officially, it was just to make sure that there wasn't anything more than an infection. In reality, it was since the testing place was owned by the hospital, and they got to charge me a couple of thousand dollars. In the end, I got what I would have gotten a lot faster if the doc in the box was open: a bottle of antibiotics.
Some cases, I'm sure. I know I don't own part of anywhere, but that other doc may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
If you get tired of the song, I'll provide a few Scrubs clips to have on playback. Doctor Cox saying No! and Wrong Wrong Wrong!
Today we've just been pointing to the Canadian CT Rules or the New Orleans Rules. It's shutting that corner up quite nicely.

What also worked (at least for now) was reiterating that excess testing makes problems for me- you can lose your license for that. It doesn't affect them at all, they can look all they want, but if there's trouble, I'm the target.

I refuse to be.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Letters you wish you could send your pet! TallGeekyGirl Wild Kingdom 474 19 February 2018 03:38 AM
Letters you wish you could send DawnStorm SLC 997 29 May 2016 01:41 AM
Letters you wish you could send DawnStorm SLC 1003 13 February 2014 11:26 PM
Send this to everyone you know! snopes Snopes Spotting 0 27 February 2010 07:32 PM
3 Letters from a Veteran Amigone201 Inboxer Rebellion 1 05 December 2009 09:58 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.