snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 30 March 2017, 03:01 PM

Glasses

I rewatch that fairly regularly. I also love to rewatch the Beatles Anthology.

Seaboe
Old 09 May 2017, 05:44 AM

I'm (sort of) re-watching (or rather, watching episodes I missed during the original run of) H2O Just Add Water. This was something I only caught when I was an adult, but it is from the producer of Ocean Girl, which is a series I loved as a kid.
Old 09 May 2017, 06:54 AM

I'm rewatching RWBY.
Old 09 May 2017, 03:44 PM

Glasses

Okay, I'll bravely show my ignorance. What's RWBY? Running With Baby Yaks?

Currently rewatching The Hunt with John Walsh, before it disappears from Netflix on May 20th.

Seaboe
Old 09 May 2017, 03:44 PM

Right now two of the channels I get have been showing marathons of Storage Wars. This is a show I like and I don't know why - I remember getting really fed up with it a few years ago and avoiding it for awhile and now I'm baaaack! It's not the kind of show I usually watch (far from it actually) but for some reason this show appeals to me. Even as I get annoyed at the interactions of some of the cast and find myself shouting at the TV "get real, Dave, used books aren't going to get you that kind of money!"

Last edited by Sue; 09 May 2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09 May 2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Okay, I'll bravely show my ignorance. What's RWBY? Running With Baby Yaks?

Seaboe
Looks like maybe this?

As for myself, I've been rewatching Rick and Morty in preparation for season 3 this summer. If the teaser season premier is any indication, it's going to be phenomenal!
Old 09 May 2017, 07:58 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cat Named Easter View Post
Looks like maybe this?
I'm really into RWBY, though not as much as some of my cosplay / anime friends.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:18 PM

Again, not really a re-watch, but I have found the second season of Mirror, Mirror.

For those who don't recall the show, it's a kids' series about a bunch of people in different timeframes who are connected by a mirror that serves as a portal.

In this version, the Mirror appears in the attic of an NZ inn in 1996, after apparently having been owned by a girl in 1857. There are those in the present who seek to use the Mirror for personal gain this time around, after it is discovered that the girl's family is expatriate French nobility tasked with carrying the Crown (and, well, the chances of finding gold are higher when it hasn't been found yet).

Ok, the Mirror's sudden appearance is a headscratcher that detracts from the enjoyment (Is it even the same Mirror from the last season?), but Aussie kids TV also gave us The Girl From Tomorrow, which is wibbly-wobbly from the get-go, so I'm not too fussed.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:02 PM

Australia

I'm currently working my way through the first series of Round The Twist.
Old 21 June 2017, 11:06 PM

I've been alternating between watching Babylon 5 on DVD (I bought the complete series a few years back), and the early seasons of Futurama on Netflix -- the latter in particular because it's going away soon (!). Apparently, Fox pulled the license, so the first five seasons plus the four movies will all be leaving Netflix as of July 1. The Comedy Central seasons will apparently remain available, or so rumor has it.

So, I may be purchasing that series on DVD soon, too....
Old 26 June 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
the early seasons of Futurama on Netflix -- the latter in particular because it's going away soon (!). Apparently, Fox pulled the license, so the first five seasons plus the four movies will all be leaving Netflix as of July 1. The Comedy Central seasons will apparently remain available, or so rumor has it.

So, I may be purchasing that series on DVD soon, too....
Aww. While I haven't been rewatching it regularly, Futurama is kind of the show I default to if there's nothing else I want to watch. I do already own season 1 on DVD; I might have to look into getting the others.
Old 06 July 2017, 02:12 PM

I've dusted off my copy of the Cybergirl boxset. I want to send something along these lines to Linkara, but I'm currently trying to get my head around the show's ludicrous budget issues (such as the "River City Museum" [in reality the Brisbane Powerhouse, which does house a museum] being some sort of cultural be-all-and-end-all, when it's a converted power plant that in reality is very removed from the city centre. This is despite scenes in Queen Street being labelled as such and King George Square blatantly being King George Square with a few CGI screens).
Old 06 July 2017, 02:22 PM

My two brothers and I are working on a podcast discussing Twilight Zone episodes, three at a time, arranged somewhat thematically, so now I'm re-watching a whole bunch of classic TZ episodes on Netflix. Some of the classics are still fantastic; there are also some forgotten gems in there. And then there are those that really don't hold up. Whether or not the podcast ever gets off the ground, we're having a fun time re-watching and discussing.
Old 06 July 2017, 07:46 PM

Judge

I've recently worked my way through Porridge, & now onto Look Around You.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:59 AM

I recently started re-watching Star Trek: Voyager. I've only watched the first few episodes so far, but I can't help but notice the similarities between Kate Mulgrew's portrayal of Captain Janeway and Galina "Red" Reznikov on Orange is the New Black. They are, after all, both women in positions of power (well, at least in the early seasons of OITNB for Red).
Old 24 August 2017, 12:24 AM

Going to ramble slightly: Re-watching Young Justice in the wrong order -- I discovered the show is not currently on Netflix; I owned season 2 on DVD, so I watched it while waiting for a Blu-Ray set of season 1 to arrive.

In general, I tend to prefer the first season: at least, it has more of my favorite individual episodes. Because of the smaller core cast, they were able to get more deeply into the individual characters; many of the potentially interesting new members in season 2, such as Batgirl, Wonder Girl, Beast Boy, and Tim Drake's Robin get very little development. Also, probably my two favorite characters from season one are Artemis and Zatanna; Zatanna makes only a few cameos in season 2, and while Artemis plays a pivotal role, the great majority of it is undercover in disguise, so she's not really being Artemis. I can't help but wonder if the second-season putting the spotlight mainly on the characters of Impulse, Blue Beetle, and Arsenal might have been a deliberate effort of the producers to shift the demographics of the audience (for those who don't know, it's said that a major reason the show was cancelled was that the audience leaned too heavily female, and therefore, supposedly, resulted in lower-than-desired action-figure sales.)

Other factors: my favorite villain from season one is Clarion the witch-boy, who I don't think even gets a line of dialogue in season 2 (he makes one tiny cameo in the next-to-last episode; that's all I noticed). Batman is also absent from all but the first and last episodes -- I know the show's not about him or his team, but his presence was always a high point. Also, of course, Miss Martian has shorter hair, but hey, she's a shape-shifter, so that's easily fixed.

But, watching season two first has somewhat increased my appreciation for it. The story line is more connected, I think. Seeing first the more mature/less angry version of Superboy, and the more confident Miss Martian (apart from her breakdown at one bit of trauma I won't mention in case anyone hasn't seen it and might -- but she recovers fairly quickly), sharpens the contrast with their more introductory versions. And although the large cast does mean a lot of them get very little screen time, they are well used when they do appear.

In any case, I am certainly looking forward to the eventual third season, which I believe is slated to be on Netflix sometime next year. Even if I nitpick at some points, the show is just darned good.

(Means I haven't gotten around to watching The Defenders yet, but this is the wrong thread for that, anyway....)
Old 24 August 2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
my favorite villain from season one is Clarion the witch-boy
One of the many reasons I love Young Justice is that the take on the villains is generally better (more nuanced, slightly different in interesting ways, better written) than what we got in all of the previous animated and live action shows... and, I think, often better than many of their comic book appearances. Varies from villain to villain and even episode to episode. But Klarion is, in season 1, possibly the best villain, and certainly had some great lines.

Klarion the Witch Boy: Give it up, Nabu! Order went out of style in the 20th century.
Dr. Fate, Wally West: This battle is pointless. You sought to take the helmet before it gained a host. But you are too late.
Klarion the Witch Boy: SHUT IT, YOU OLD FART!
Old 24 August 2017, 05:00 PM

The thing I didn't like about that episode was the skepticism regarding magic. It never makes sense when you've got a universe with superpowers and happen to be someone with superpowers, but consider magic is unrealistic. Really, it should just be regarded as another type of superpower, just an extraordinarily versatile one.
Old 24 August 2017, 05:37 PM

I kind of agree there, actually. A *bit* of skepticism that it's actually "magic" rather than a "different" variety of super-power or trickery is one thing, but it's pretty clear there are mystic forces around in that universe, and the Justice League has an active magician as a member. I assume it was mainly for the purpose of playing up Wally as working overly hard to impress Miss Martian, and the start of sparks of a sort with Artemis (particularly given Kent Nelson's speech about "finding your own little spitfire." (Nice job by Ed Asner there, too.)

And yes, Klarion is delightful in all of his appearances. I love the bit in a later episode when Professor Ivo shows up when he's expecting T.O. Morrow. Quoting roughly from memory:

Klarion: "Where's T.O. Morrow? I didn't order this! Send it back!"
Someone: "Morrow is in a coma."
Klarion: "Oh. Let's see, did I already know that?"
Ivo: "Morrow's skills have been in a coma since the 1940's. But I won't stay where I'm not wanted."
Klarion: "Oh, don't get pouty. I invented pouty."
Old 24 August 2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I kind of agree there, actually. A *bit* of skepticism that it's actually "magic" rather than a "different" variety of super-power or trickery is one thing, but it's pretty clear there are mystic forces around in that universe, and the Justice League has an active magician as a member.
Wally West: Nothing. This isn't simple camouflage.
Artemis: So what do you think, Adaptive micro-opto-electronics combined with phase shifting?
Wally West: Absolutely -
[M'gann comes up to them]
Wally West: - Not! Clearly mystic powers are at work here.
Klarion the Witch Boy: [Hidden] Hey, Abra Kadabra, aren't you using adaptive micro-opto-electronics and phase shifting?
Abra Kadabra: [Begrudgingly] ... Yes.

(particularly Abra's VERY grudging "...Yes.", which was voice acted pretty perfectly. My kids and I quote that "yes" a LOT to each other.)