snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 07 April 2016, 02:17 PM

True, but most TV shows, especially 20 years ago, weren't trying to create anything remotely like the X-Files "mythology."
Old 07 April 2016, 02:25 PM

Not even mythology, there was a time when it wasn't possible to endlessly rewatch television shows, the makers just didn't need to care about continuity in the same way that they should (note I said should) be caring about it today. I can understand why writers don't want to be tied down in the 5th season to a chance remark that might have been made in the 1st season (dedicated viewer: "hey wait a minute now they're saying his mother died when he was a child but in season one, episode five they talk about how his mother lives in Switzerland with her current husband) but I think they still need to respect that they've created a back story for their characters that people are going to remember but even more importantly if they've established something on the show and referenced it numerous times they really shouldn't just forget about it or totally change it just for the needs of one specific episode. Well if they don't want viewers grinding their teeth and getting annoyed they shouldn't anyway!
Old 13 April 2016, 08:38 PM

My brother gave me a box set of The Underwater World of Jacques Cousteau for Christmas that I've been slowly working through. There's a lot of it, but it really grows on you.

He got it for me because we'd watched the Wes Anderson film The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou together, but neither of us knew at the time what his inspiration had been. So we watched the first few Cousteau episodes together partly for the 1960s camp value. But it really is amazing... Its thunder has been stolen since by more modern filming techniques in programmes such as The Blue Planet, but a lot of the things in The Blue Planet are filmed here as well, in ways that would be just as amazing except they're in 1960s film stock rather than modern high-def digital. And these are ultimately a hell of a lot more interesting, in various ways, I think.

For one thing the crew don't try to pretend that they're not present, as is often the case in more modern equivalents. You might get a little "making of" segment at the end of those, but in this one the divers and cameramen are fully visible throughout, which I think's a lot more honest. They're doing research as well as just filming, so it can be far more hands-on than we're used to seeing, with people poking things or chasing things to see what happens, and so on.

Sometimes that can be a bit jarring. There have been a couple of episodes so far about different whale species. The first was more or less as you'd expect from a modern crew, other than that they showed how they tagged a baby sperm whale with a balloon to be able to track it. Other than that, they were careful to keep a bit of distance from the whales and not bother them too much.

The other one was about fin whales of Baja California and could almost have been made by a different team... when chasing the whales in the little speedboats, they rammed them at several points... then the narrator said, in the usual portentous tones used in serious documentaries, something like "No matter how long you have spent swimming with and filming whales, you will never truly know them until you try to ride them." And they cut to a guy in a wetsuit and snorkel actually trying to ride one of the whales, rodeo style!

In another film in Lake Titicaca, there were some indigenous people who live on floating islands but don't like being filmed, so they got one of the crew to emerge from the lake in his scuba gear and chase them around like a swamp monster so that the cameraman could film them without being seen!

They show the life of the crew too, hence some of the camp value (and a lot of homo-erotica featuring muscular men in small swimming trunks... sometimes it feels a waste to watch this as a heterosexual man...) when the narrator - often Cousteau himself - suddenly mentions "the crew string quartet" or something. You realise how much clout and respect Cousteau had back then when you see them coming into port to great acclaim, or when he manages to get a substantial number of all the world's research submersibles together in one place for a group dive. The last couple of episodes I've watched have made parallels between undersea exploration and space exploration, too, and have featured some pretty interesting footage from Apollo missions. They're also generally very optimistic about the future, and hugely excited about all the new possibilities that are opening up and the new things they were finding out, which is rather a contrast with today.

And because it's occasionally so random, you never know quite what's coming next. The episode I just watched featured everything from a Los Angeles art show of one of the crew's underwater paintings, to a psychedelic, totally out-of-the-blue merge cut between a sea otter grooming itself and some WWII Japanese fighter aircraft diving on a ship with guns blazing...

So, yes, although I wasn't sure how well the initial camp value and slightly shoddy-by-modern-completely-spoiled-standards photography would hold up in the longer term, it's turned out to be a very good present.
Old 16 April 2016, 05:34 AM

Default Can't remember the name of the movie

Just re-watched Earl Hamner's "The Bewitchin' Pool", the last episode of The Twilight Zone. It reminded me of a more recent movie in which the protagonist keeps jumping into a pool and emerging in parallel universes. In his absence his bills go unpaid and eventually his house is sold, so when he re-emerges he is run off his former property as a trespasser and can't get back to the pool portal, wandering around homeless without so much as a shirt on his back.
What is the name of the film?!
Old 24 March 2017, 01:10 PM

I found a show called Foreign Exchange on YouTube. It's not really a re-watch since I only caught one episode back when it originally aired. It seems to be pure Channel 9--not boring, but not as spectacular as the Channel 10 stuff I used to love.

And no, it has nothing to do with actual foreign exchange programs. It's a vaguely sci-fi show about a portal that connects...Australia and Ireland. I can think of three Aussie kids' shows with portals (oddly enough, all from Channel 9), and this is the only one that has two real-world places.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:24 PM

Glasses

I'm glad you revived this thread, Jusenkyo. I did not move on to Remington Steele last year, but to Numb3rs, instead (which I'd never seen before so it did not qualify as a rewatch). However, I am now rewatching RS as I sew. The second season is the best. The third season they traveled too much. However, some of my favorite scenes occur in seasons 4 & 5. The show holds up very well.

One thing that feels odd, after Stargate and NCIS, is to see the same guest actors playing wildly differing characters. Both SG & NCIS make it a point to have character continuity (unless make-up prevents you from realizing it's the same actor). It's one of the things that makes it fun, knowing that if you see Actor X, s/he's going to be playing character Y.

Seaboe
Old 24 March 2017, 08:32 PM

Am deeply into Star Trek Voyager. I know the popular wisdom is that Jeri Ryan was brought in as Seven of Nine to be "eye candy" but I have to say the show got better when she joined the cast. It was good before, don't get me wrong, but after Seven came on board it went from strength to strength.
Old 24 March 2017, 09:46 PM

Icon402

I've been re-watching several shows recently, currently I'm half way through I, Claudius, which is great even without the number of actors who are better known for other things.
Old 24 March 2017, 10:28 PM

Icon106

I'm rewatching Sun Ship Game, Robert Drew's 1971 cinema verite docudrama about the 1969 US National Soaring Championships at Marfa Texas. I've been trolling the grainy takeoff grid and pilot meeting footage in slo-mo trying to identify the backmarkers and their aircraft. I've also been re-reading the Joe Lincoln contest report for that meet, and the report for the World Championships that convened at Marfa the following year.

The first time I saw the movie, the Bee Gees (not kidding!) soundtrack sounded dated and corny. Then it kinda grew on me. But now it's back to corny again. And don't get me started about Brautigan's Horsechild Breakfast.
Old 25 March 2017, 08:51 AM

In between new shows we're watching Angel and Buffy, in the prescribed order. Joss Whedon's dialogue is still excellent and it's interesting to see the different faces that later show up in the Whedonverse or other shows/films. Probably will add some more songs to our collection too. There are those who say the fashions are dated, and they are probably correct, but we think they're fun.
Old 26 March 2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Am deeply into Star Trek Voyager. I know the popular wisdom is that Jeri Ryan was brought in as Seven of Nine to be "eye candy" but I have to say the show got better when she joined the cast. It was good before, don't get me wrong, but after Seven came on board it went from strength to strength.
I need to get back to ST Voyager to finish re-watching.

Just recently finished with The Wonder Years.

Am (re)watching another series over on Amazon Prime and have two others-one of them being Leverage- I had never seen that one until I started watching with parents sometimes on cable during dinner- queued up.

Really wish I could somehow get my hands on some of my favorite 80s shows but they aren't streamed or on any of the three- Amazon, Hulu or Netflix. Purchasing- well the cost is a tad much lol.
Old 27 March 2017, 11:22 AM

TV

Quote:
It was good before, don't get me wrong, but after Seven came on board it went from strength to strength.
The Mrs. has just gotten into Voyager, and I sometimes watch along. I don't know if I'd categorically say it was GOOD before, but it surely got better with Seven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
Really wish I could somehow get my hands on some of my favorite 80s shows but they aren't streamed or on any of the three- Amazon, Hulu or Netflix. Purchasing- well the cost is a tad much lol.
Used DVDs are sometimes quite cheap.
Old 27 March 2017, 02:12 PM

Again, not so much a re-watch as I only really caught their Dynamo detergent commercials back when those were a thing (and only one episode thereafter), but I did find that Mother And Son is on Netflix here. Oddly, ages ago, I did catch Ruth Cracknell as Martha on Seven Little Australians.
Old 27 March 2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have to agree. Among other things, she added that Spock/Data/Odo factor...examining humanity from an outside lens. It also was the time that Kes left the show. Another improvement IMO.

I follow Jeri Ryan and Robert Picardo (Voyager's Doctor) on Twitter. Both are very anti-woo, pro-science. And they are still close in real life, which makes me weirdly happy.
Old 27 March 2017, 02:37 PM

Glasses

The more I hear about Leverage, the more I think I need to take a look.

Seaboe
Old 27 March 2017, 06:44 PM

Snake

I've been having a re-watch marathon the last few months, having covered all the colour Dr Who on DVD, I moved on to Thunderbirds, Capt. Scarlet, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Some Mother's Do 'Av 'Em among others.

I'm currently half way through I, Claudius, which has some good performances, & a chance to see a few stars before they were well known.
Old 27 March 2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
In between new shows we're watching Angel and Buffy, in the prescribed order. Joss Whedon's dialogue is still excellent and it's interesting to see the different faces that later show up in the Whedonverse or other shows/films. Probably will add some more songs to our collection too. There are those who say the fashions are dated, and they are probably correct, but we think they're fun.
I finished rewatching Buffy a month or so ago, and decided to rewatch Angel. I had watched most of Buffy many times, but I had never rewatched Season 7. I had memories of it being bad and annoying, most of which I think, on rewatching, were probably rooted in disappointment at the show ending when I watched it at the time they aired. I wound up really liking S7 a lot.

I've only watched Angel once before, a long time ago. I remembered my issues with it pretty well. I did come across a recommended viewing order that gets the crossover episodes to line up right. I've been reading some entertaining recaps of the Buffy episodes instead of rewatching them again.

It's a reminder of what a great series Buffy was in so many ways, and despite the major weaknesses of the show every season. (Reading recaps really highlights both of those things.)

I do think the next time I rewatch Buffy, I may watch Angel at the same time to get the full experience, but I don't know--i like it so much less that I may not want to.
Old 27 March 2017, 07:51 PM

I'm re-watching Buffy, too. In my case it's because I read various articles about the twentieth anniversary of the first episode recently. Currently on Season 2 episode 9 - part 1 of "What's My Line". (It's on pause at the moment). This is the one where Kendra appears, and where Oz finally meets Willow to talk to.

I had to go and get a new DVD / Bluray player because my old one packed up...
Old 30 March 2017, 01:27 AM

United States

Ken Burns' The Civil War
Old 30 March 2017, 03:45 AM

By an amazing coincidence, that's what I'm rewatching as well.