snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 24 March 2016, 12:28 PM

Default What are you re-watching?

So after prompting the first ever Parallax fanfiction (and discovering that I wasn't the only one reading into Katherine and Mundi's interactions—fic is SFBSK though and merely embellishes a moment from the actual show), I've been going on a re-watch binge.

For those who don't know, the show (which ran in 2004. Seriously, it took 12 years for one person to write a fanfic) is an Australian show about a bunch of kids who live in multiple universes. Our heroes are Ben and Katherine, the adolescent children of Veronica, guardian of the "Parallax", a series of worlds located in what is usually the backwater town of Werrinup. They're ably assisted by sometimes multiple incarnations of their friends, mostly two people named Francis (and later a third, although he's little more than a contact they use to keep appraised of events in one world). Ben's Werrinup is "our" world, Katherine's is a strict town where residents can expect a crash course in misdemeanour law. There's also Katherine's friend Melinda (whose other incarnations never find out), an environmentalist they bump into called Mundi (Ben falls into her world, and she's the only character who stays put) and sisters Fortuna (called Una) and Due (whose other incarnations barely figure in the story. One of the Francises woos both his Fortuna and Una, but his Fortuna is too spaced out/strung out to figure anything out and barely appears—although there is a funny bit where his Fortuna gets confused by her Due). Of course, shows like this have to have a baddie, in this case Veronica's evil sister Betti, who, with the help of both a spy and all incarnations of local jerkwad Martin (including Mundi's Martin, who's quite nice) is setting out to completely blandish the Parallax.

Oh, and there's a few bit characters who really make the show. Most of them are Mrs Dawes (and her brother Henry, who's the same actress with a false moustache), who appears in multiple worlds, usually in a role guarding one portal (In one world, we see her briefly but only see one portal).

So what shows have you guys been on a kick for?
Old 24 March 2016, 01:10 PM

Baseball

Over here, I destress by watching rather mindless, feel good shows. I've gone through my Futurama DVD collection once and my My Name is Earl twice.

I am now rewatching all of Corner Gas.

Lots of fun.
Old 24 March 2016, 02:33 PM

Got Netflix finally (never had a way to watch it on our very, very old TV). Started re-watching X-Files. Wow, I knew I didn't like the conspiracy storyline originally, but I didn't recall just how dull and boring it was. Think we'll skip that and stick to the monster of the week episodes

Making our way through Friends. We're at Season 7 and I've actually had a couple of episodes I didn't see originally or in syndication.

Also rewatching Buffy. Oh, and because we finally bought a big-ass TV, we rewatched some of Firefly. Shiny!
Old 24 March 2016, 02:39 PM

My wife recently got the device that allows you to stream various shows with Kodi. I've been rewatching Babylon 5, Tour of Duty,Cold Case, the Closer and In Plain Sight among others. Plus got a whole bunch more to watch later.
Old 24 March 2016, 08:31 PM

Ambulance

I've been rewatching Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

I didn't see much of it when it was on TV, but bought the DVD 2 years ago.

I was watching it again withe commentry track which points out a lot of things I didn't spot the first time round.
Old 26 March 2016, 02:05 PM

Is the track in or out of character?
Old 26 March 2016, 02:31 PM

Whalephant

Supernatural, Leverage, Criminal Minds.
Old 26 March 2016, 02:32 PM

I've recently gotten back into Frasier which has been airing on the comedy channel. I was an addict of this show until roughly season 7 but after that I had pretty much lost interest in it so my viewing became very erratic. Mainly I have to say because I loathed Daphne's family. We're heading towards season 7 now and I'm going to give it a try because I'm sure there are some hidden gems in there that I've never seen before. And if not I can always delete them . I've also never seen the finale and I would like to see how it all ended.
Old 26 March 2016, 03:42 PM

I'm doing a combination of watching and re-watching, as I'm binging on some old episodes of Cook's Country. I thought that they were all ones that I had missed, but it turns out some are ones I'd at least seen portions of, even if I had not seen the whole episode.
Old 26 March 2016, 06:10 PM

I've been re-watching The Wonder Years on Netflix. Even more than two decades after it went off the air it still holds up quite well, I think. That may be partly because it was set in the past anyway, so it can't really seem dated.
Old 26 March 2016, 08:25 PM

Hill Street Blues and other oldies on http://www.locatetv.com/listings/her...-icons-network
Old 27 March 2016, 12:44 AM

I kind of perpetually re-watch Futurama, and am working on another run-through of Justice League [Unlimited] at the moment. Also re-watched season one of Daredevil a couple of weeks back in preparation for watching season two.
Old 01 April 2016, 12:34 AM

My nephew's developed a taste for The Magic School Bus. Fortunately for us, it's on Netflix.
Old 06 April 2016, 02:00 AM

I only ever watched sporadically but I started watching Archer from the first season. I also just finished Flight of the Conchords. I recently decided to get Amazon Prime so I've been trawling their listings.
Old 06 April 2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I've also never seen the finale and I would like to see how it all ended.
IIRC, Satan calls Lilith back to the Ninth Circle.
Old 06 April 2016, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Stargate. Just finished rewatching Numbers. Next up? Probably Remington Steele.

I do not, however, make a point of rewatching every episode any more, at least for Stargate. I know the show very well and see no point in making myself watch an episode I didn't like in the first place (Shades of Gray, for example).

Seaboe
Old 06 April 2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Stargate. Just finished rewatching Numbers. Next up? Probably Remington Steele.

I do not, however, make a point of rewatching every episode any more, at least for Stargate. I know the show very well and see no point in making myself watch an episode I didn't like in the first place (Shades of Gray, for example).

Seaboe
Stargate is on all the time on Space channel here, so I end up watching episodes without really knowing what is going on. I have no idea who the Goa'uld are or what Teal'c backstory is, but for some reason I watch anyway.

and I'll watch Stargate Atlantic to see Jason Momoa and Joe Flanigan. Again, no idea what the heck is going on.
Old 06 April 2016, 10:42 PM

I'm in a classic British mood, so have been watching
Dad's Army
Only Fools and Horses
and The Doctor Series
might do some Porridge next.
Old 06 April 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Got Netflix finally (never had a way to watch it on our very, very old TV). Started re-watching X-Files. Wow, I knew I didn't like the conspiracy storyline originally, but I didn't recall just how dull and boring it was.
Might have helped if Chris Carter had actually figured out where it was going, instead of just tossing out whatever he was thinking of the time, with no attention to whether it was consistent or even coherent.
Old 07 April 2016, 02:13 PM

Glasses

That's not that uncommon for TV series, Lainie, at least at the time X-Files was made. I do think that nowadays internal consistency is more prized.

Seaboe