snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 15 April 2015, 01:50 PM

Driver See An Astronautís Daughter Use Cars To Compose A Message Visible From Space

Stephanie, a 13-year-old astronautís daughter from Houston, Texas, who deeply misses her father during his trips to space, wanted to send a message heíd never forget. Her dad, whose name was not released, is spending much of his time aboard the International Space Station. Hyundai had an idea. Using a dry lake as large as a city and some extra spiky tires bolted to 11 of its Genesis sedans, perhaps it would be possible to write a note to her father that is visible from space.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/see-an-a...398297787.html
Old 15 April 2015, 02:04 PM

I've always liked the aesthetics of the smooth, dry surfaces of the playas in the western Mojave. This probably really messed that up.

This was probably done legally, but still strikes me as being a bit like vandalism.
Old 15 April 2015, 03:01 PM

I'm sure the wind will take it back to it's natural condition soon enough. Googling around for the location, it's been used for a lot of other things. It's not inaccessible, people camp there, NASA has used it for a landing strip, Boeing just tested a space capsule drop there a couple of years ago. The lake will be fine.

The headlines keep saying that the daughter did this, when in reality this is a nice piece of marketing by Hyundai. It was a huge project. This video shows what all was involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOAXrTrsOE It's also the kickoff to a whole campaign for this car.
Old 15 April 2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
The headlines keep saying that the daughter did this, when in reality this is a nice piece of marketing by Hyundai.
The opening sentence of the article also implies she is the daughter of a 13-year-old astronaut.
Old 15 April 2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
I'm sure the wind will take it back to it's natural condition soon enough. Googling around for the location, it's been used for a lot of other things. It's not inaccessible, people camp there, NASA has used it for a landing strip, Boeing just tested a space capsule drop there a couple of years ago. The lake will be fine.
Wind has nothing to do with smoothing the surface of playas. Water does that. Driving on a dry lake bed can be a very different thing than disturbing the surface.

I used to spend a lot of time around dry lake beds. When dry, they can be driven on and camped on without making much of an impact. However, once the surface is torn up, it can take years to smooth back over.
Old 15 April 2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
some extra spiky tires bolted to 11 of its Genesis sedans
Emphasis mine..

The familly must be rich if they can afford 11 Genesis sedans to bolt spiky tires onto.

So it's really, really not her idea.
Old 15 April 2015, 07:57 PM

Glasses

My favorite part was that they made it look like her handwriting.

Seaboe