snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 05 June 2014, 06:22 PM

Default First world problems

Re ATNM’s watermelon and hot pepper candy:

While Mexican candy is too sweet for my taste, those same flavors rock the 100 degree world when combined in a paleta which is basically a Mexican frozen fruit treat. Popsicle. Melon or cucumber blended without seeds, a little water, some lime, and hot chili powder then frozen in a mold with a stick will cure what ails you.

In other FWP, the tea is on the credenza behind me, but the ice is waaaayyy down the hall.
Old 05 June 2014, 08:10 PM

The cell reception inside the building at my new job is crappy. I had to go *outside* to answer a voicemail!
Old 05 June 2014, 08:24 PM

First day on the job and she's already complaining!
Old 06 June 2014, 05:51 AM

I feel like I'm the only person in the US under the age of 40 who's never owned (or even used) a smartphone or laptop or any type of portable computing device thingie. I'm not fond of gadgets and I rarely even use the prepaid phone I have now. I turn it on maybe once every couple of weeks to check if I have any calls. (I don't have any type of social life whatsoever, so any call I get is usually a wrong number.) I feel like I should get a smartphone; it would probably be convenient and would make employment situations less awkward (for example, my most recent boss kept expecting me to be able to take pictures of things and send them to her or update company's Facebook page using my phone, and I couldn't, so those tasks went to someone else). The longer I go without using any type of gadgets, the more embarrassed I become. I don't know anything about smartphones. I don't know how wi-fi works. I've never used a laptop. I wouldn't know how to turn on a tablet or what to do with it. I've always just used a desktop PC with a landline and that works just fine for me. If I need tech support, I ask my mom, who's 67 and knows far more about technology than I ever will.

So I guess my FWP is that while I personally don't have any need or desire for gadgets, I feel like I should maybe get a smartphone just so I'm not completely shut out of future employment or social situations. I can see how a smartphone might come in handy, especially when I'm travelling (all hotels have free wifi, but none seem to have computers in the lobby for guest use anymore). But then I get mad because I don't want to spend money on things I don't need just because society expects me to. And then I get embarrassed because I don't know how modern technology works and I'm also kinda jealous of people who seemingly have hundreds of dollars to drop on these devices that are basically just magic to me.
Old 06 June 2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
So I guess my FWP is that while I personally don't have any need or desire for gadgets, I feel like I should maybe get a smartphone just so I'm not completely shut out of future employment or social situations. I can see how a smartphone might come in handy, especially when I'm travelling (all hotels have free wifi, but none seem to have computers in the lobby for guest use anymore). But then I get mad because I don't want to spend money on things I don't need just because society expects me to. And then I get embarrassed because I don't know how modern technology works and I'm also kinda jealous of people who seemingly have hundreds of dollars to drop on these devices that are basically just magic to me.
I say get a tablet. Last summer my desktop computer crapped out and my Nexus has been my only connection to the online world since. I was unemployed for 6 months so getting a new computer was not an option. Now that I have a job we are just now looking at getting a new computer.
Old 06 June 2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
and would make employment situations less awkward (for example, my most recent boss kept expecting me to be able to take pictures of things and send them to her or update company's Facebook page using my phone, and I couldn't, so those tasks went to someone else).
This kind of thing grinds my gears. If an employer expects this, then the employer should provide the phone/camera/whatever. I refuse to use my personal technology for the benefit of my employer. We just had an emergency drill last week, and part of the preparation was updating contact lists for everyone. The person in charge of that came in and wanted my cell phone number. I politely refused. My home phone is sufficient; if you can't contact me through that then I'm not available. If you think you need to contact me for an emergency, then provide me with an agency cell phone. Part of my reasoning is because my boss is constantly texting people who call in sick or take a vacation day to ask them questions, and when I'm off work - for whatever reason - I'm off work. The other part of that is I'm a public employee and I don't want my phone having to be searched for a public records act request.
Old 06 June 2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
This kind of thing grinds my gears. If an employer expects this, then the employer should provide the phone/camera/whatever. I refuse to use my personal technology for the benefit of my employer. We just had an emergency drill last week, and part of the preparation was updating contact lists for everyone. The person in charge of that came in and wanted my cell phone number. I politely refused. My home phone is sufficient; if you can't contact me through that then I'm not available. If you think you need to contact me for an emergency, then provide me with an agency cell phone. Part of my reasoning is because my boss is constantly texting people who call in sick or take a vacation day to ask them questions, and when I'm off work - for whatever reason - I'm off work. The other part of that is I'm a public employee and I don't want my phone having to be searched for a public records act request.
Obviously it all depends. For instance, you are not being consistent in the 'refuse to use my personal technology' part - you allow the home landline number to be known by employer, just not your cell number. It's all technology. But you have also expressed a good reason for keeping it private - to keep it from public records act requests, and thereby possibly from even further delving into personal stuff, since it has been revealed in recent years about corrupt public officials using 'private' e-mails and/or cell phones to do official business so as to try to avoid legitimate public scrutiny. Such hidden business use makes any cell/e-mail/internet communication, particularly if it can be shown to be used at any times for work purposes, fair game for disclosure, IMHO. And that is a good reason to keep that number from the employer's records.

However, unless there is some good reason like that, i see no reason not to use your personal stuff on the job. I am expected to use my personal car for business purposes under three-hours each way. I am given a standard reimbursement which no longer fully covers that expense. For many of my meetings, I am required to wear suits or jacket-and-tie, neither of which the employer provides. Taking photos with a digital camera or cellphone for the office is no burden on the employee who has these things, since it does not wear out the equipment significantly, though if the office has problems with e-viruses, that would be good cause to refuse to link. Effo has been posting about her new high-end cooking job where she is required to provide her own high-tech knives (high-quality durable ones). Most mechanics are required to bring their own hand-tools (not the big stuff).

I guess what I am thinking is that it is a shame to have such a compartmentalized attitude toward life. Work should not take over private life entirely, of course, but we expect employers to make some accommodations for our private lives, and in return we usually make accommodations in our non-work life for our work life, if we are responsible people, like not staying up too late on a work night, or staying a bit later on a given day when there is a critical chore to be done. Boundaries are good, but unless either a particular employer or a particular employee cannot operate in good faith, the boundaries should not be so rigid.
Old 06 June 2014, 01:57 PM

I drew a pretty strict line about my cell phone when I was a contractor. I freely gave it to my boss, teammates and HR, because it's my only phone, and they might need to contact me off hours. But because I wasn't given a desk phone, some other co-workers wanted my cell phone number. My position was that if the company wanted me to be available by phone, they should give me a desk phone. I was consistently available by email and IM, and that just had to be good enough.

Now I have a desk phone. People rarely call it.
Old 06 June 2014, 02:00 PM

Giving my landline number to my employer is no different than giving my address, to me. But giving my cell phone gives the expectation that I am reachable anytime, anywhere, at their whim. Which I am not. And if I am required to use my own vehicle, which I'm not, I would expect reimbursement. Our mechanics bring their own tools - and get a tool allowance for that. I don't bring my own computer, or adding machine, or lightbulbs, or chair. And clothing? At my work, we have a pretty relaxed dress code. If a specific "uniform" is required, it is provided or a uniform allowance is provided. Hell, right now, I'm off to work in a company provided (not required) t-shirt.

I don't really care about using my cellphone camera/timer/clock/whatever if it makes my work life easier, in some way. It's the thought that it's expected or required without being provided that bothers me.
Old 06 June 2014, 02:53 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
I don't really care about using my cellphone camera/timer/clock/whatever if it makes my work life easier, in some way. It's the thought that it's expected or required without being provided that bothers me.
Sing it, sister. Although my employer's policy is the opposite: you aren't allowed to use personal devices for work. If you need them for work, you have to use the ones work provides. On the other hand, you can (to a certain, limited extent) use work devices for personal stuff.

I don't know that this is a first world problem, but Roadie's post made me think of it--I really hate, and will decline where possible, meetings scheduled during lunch. Usually (but not always) they are for the volunteer work I do at work. However, IMO, since this is volunteer work intended to benefit my employer (such as being a Volunteer Disaster Responder), I don't see why I should give up my personal time to participate. If my employer wants me there, they should be willing to pay for my presence.

Seaboe
Old 06 June 2014, 05:19 PM

my company does expect us to be available 100% of the time -- they dont pay us overtime, and our wages are below the national average, but they claim we are over compensated for our positions. they do give us cell phones, with data, but then tell us not to use them -- to use our home phones, our home internet for business.

they just sent out an email whining about the amount of social media that was accessed on the devices --- which also means they are tracking our usage
Old 06 June 2014, 05:39 PM

I have two ugly yellowish bruises on my right wrist, and I have no idea where they came from.

I think the bruise fairy is angry with me for revealing her existence!
Old 07 June 2014, 02:53 AM

I belong to a writing website where you can earn points for critiquing others' work, then "spend" those points by posting your own work. This is a good system. My FWP problem is that I currently have 13 points, which is a bad number. I know this irrational and silly, but it irks me.

I've been commenting on other people's stuff, but the comments have to be approved by the writer who's receiving the critique before you can get your points. So I keep checking the site to see if my comments have been approved so I won't have 13 points anymore.

I know this sounds a little OCD-ish, but I don't quite meet the diagnostic criteria for that. I'm not having panic attacks or feeling serious dread about having 13 points. It's not interfering with my ability to function. It's just mildly bugging me.
Old 07 June 2014, 04:27 AM

Back when I lived downtown, I used to walk home for lunch and take my full hour. Now that I can't do that, I usually eat a packed lunch at my desk and either goof off a bit or pick away at work. Since then, I've noticed a lot more phone calls and urgent emails coming in, and people dropping by during that time. I know it's probably just my imagination, but it makes me feel guilty and irritated, like I'm being caught doing something wrong. I guess that even though I'm taking less lunch time overall, I feel a slacker. Sometimes I do work straight through, but sometimes I just want to eat and chill for a bit.

FWP because I love having a flexible workplace, but sometimes I kind of wish there was a clock to punch to say 'I'm off now'.

We don't really have a lunch area, and I don't want to buy my food, so I'm kind of stuck in my office. Maybe I'll go for a walk now that it's nice, just so I can have sometime away from the desk.
Old 07 June 2014, 01:13 PM

I worked through lunch for a long time, and I will still field a call, as mine are usually brief and if they are made then, it is the only chance for a client during the day. But I shut the door and do not feel guilty about taking the time to get my head off work. I eat and take a short nap and it rejuvenates me for the afternoon's tasks. A lunch BREAK is supposed to be a break. It is no more 'slacking' to take it than it is for an athlete to catch his breath when the opportunity presents itself.

the First World Problem here is probably more that so many of us have jobs that allow us to work through lunch, but our brains need the break as much as manual laborers need the rest, but we have trouble taking the rest.
Old 07 June 2014, 07:14 PM

I work in two different clinic settings- the main one, where we have a lunch room and I have recently been trying to go and sit there for a short lunch break. But in the other location, I share a clinic room with the physician and nurse and we are expected to eat lunch there. I haven't gotten any comments about using my phone, but I do tend to go on my phone and check facebook and so on while eating, but I always feel guilty about it. The problem is that the physician is constantly overbooked and so works through lunch, and seems to expect us all to do the same, which is irritating because my clinic schedule doesn't go through lunch.
Old 07 June 2014, 07:24 PM

Frankly if you are not being paid what a physician gets paid you shouldn't be expected to put in the hours they are putting in. I've been in situations similar to that before - most recently I came into a situation where I was replacing a manager who took pride in not taking lunch or breaks and shamed her employees when they did so. It took me a long time to get my staff to accept that the world would not come to an horrific end if they took the breaks they were entitled to and on a regular basis.

Last edited by Sue; 07 June 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07 June 2014, 07:59 PM

Years ago as a teacher I used to stay every night until 7:30 getting things done...I don't take things home with the exception of things like report cards.
Then, I got sick - not really sick per se but small things one after the other - bronchitis, a sinus infection, the flu, a perforated eardrum, bronchitis again... for about 3 months. After that I was just exhausted and it was a struggle just to get through the day and then I left each day.
Much to my surprise not too much changed. Sure, the kids didn't get to do as many really fun and stimulating activities, but other than that the world kept spinning on its axis.
Things changed for me after that. I still stay late but if there is a night that I stay until 7:30 it is with a specific objective in mind. Sometimes I will lose track of time and discover that it is 6 all of a sudden, though. Since school ends at 3:15 it's startling how often that happens. The clock seems to go from 4 to 4:30 to 5 to 6 or 6:30. That last jump seems really fast.
Old 07 June 2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Frankly if you are not being paid what a physician gets paid you shouldn't be expected to put in the hours they are putting in. I've been in situations similar to that before - most recently I came into a situation where I was replacing a manager who took pride in not taking lunch or breaks and shamed her employees when they did so. It took me a long time to get my staff to accept that the world would not come to an horrific end if they took the breaks they were entitled to and on a regular basis.
This is what I have to keep telling myself with the engineers I work with when I come in in the morning to find someone sent me something at 8pm or 1am or on a Saturday. I do work late when I want to get caught up or get ahead on something, and no one would ever expect me to actually respond to something sent at 4:30 Sunday afternoon, but I still get that antsy feeling when work accumulates while I'm not there. I think part of that comes from back in my retail days when I had to work insane (unpaid) hours or the store wouldn't function. My current job involves deadlines, but I just have to accept that what our project managers and senior engineers have to do to ensure we're on time and what I have to do is at a different level (and our salaries reflect that). I can get caught up in the morning, and I'll happily work late if I can't, but I'm still learning to tell myself that I don't have to feel guilty for not pulling some of the same hours as the others.
Old 07 June 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I drew a pretty strict line about my cell phone when I was a contractor. I freely gave it to my boss, teammates and HR, because it's my only phone, and they might need to contact me off hours. But because I wasn't given a desk phone, some other co-workers wanted my cell phone number. My position was that if the company wanted me to be available by phone, they should give me a desk phone. I was consistently available by email and IM, and that just had to be good enough.

Now I have a desk phone. People rarely call it.
I have a similar situation. My boss regularly sends out emails during the school day, and I do not have access to a school laptop (with the email program on it) to get these emails. I do have a smartphone, and could download the program so I could access these emails during the day, but it's my phone and my data plan that I pay for, so no.

I have the school email program on my desktop at home and check it in the morning just before I leave for work, and my boss has my cell phone number and can therefore text me at any time.
Closed Thread