snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 25 September 2009, 09:12 PM

Icon22 Full moons, late afternoons, Fridays won't faze your doctor

Is it safer to have elective surgery first thing in the morning rather than in late afternoon, when doctors and nurses might be tired?
For the same reason, is it smarter to schedule surgery earlier in the workweek than later?

And is it better to avoid having elective surgery in July and August, when a new crop of residents has just started training?

Also, is it foolish to have elective surgery when the moon is full and, tradition has it, people can go a little off-kilter?

No, no, no and no, according to a Cleveland Clinic study that found timing isn't anything, at least when it comes to elective coronary bypass surgery.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...y-timing_N.htm
Old 26 September 2009, 01:18 AM

I wouldn't consider a coronary bypass to be "elective"! Elective surgery, by my definition, is cosmetic.

But most people don't really get a choice of when to schedule surgeries, do they? You're limited to the surgeon's and the hospital's schedule - and even then you can get bumped or moved around if someone has complications.
Old 26 September 2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I wouldn't consider a coronary bypass to be "elective"! Elective surgery, by my definition, is cosmetic.
There is a medical definition of "elective," which means surgery done at a time chosen (or "elected") by the doctor and/or patient. The opposite of elective surgery is emergency surgery.

Nick
Old 03 November 2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post

But most people don't really get a choice of when to schedule surgeries, do they? You're limited to the surgeon's and the hospital's schedule - and even then you can get bumped or moved around if someone has complications.

Everybody's mileage varies, but when I had surgery last year, I could choose the date as long as I didn't choose a date that was too far in the future. My case wasn't an emergency, but my doctor advised me not to dawdle.