snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 23 April 2009, 04:08 PM

Icon27 Former Apollo astronaut calls on the US government to 'open up' about aliens

The truth is out there. And a former Apollo 14 astronaut wants you to know about it. Edgar Mitchell, who made the longest moonwalk in history in 1971, says alien life does exist and the US government is blocking the information from getting out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/dead...raterrestrials

Two notes: Mitchell's moonwalk was not the longest in history -- it was the longest up to that time, but the EVA's on Apollos 15-17 were considerably longer.

Also, Mitchell is the astronaut who performed ESP experiments en route to and from the moon, attempting to broadcast numbers to friends back on earth. He's also apparently made claims that a "remote healer" helped cure him of kidney cancer.
Old 24 April 2009, 01:18 AM

Bang Head

Alien life probably does exist, but right now we have no proof of it. Also, there is NO PROOF that extraterrestrials visited our planet in the past.

Mitchell's call for the government to open up is futile. I don't believe they are covering up alien existence or crashed alien craft. Why would they?

BTW, an online poll by AOL revealed that about 75 percent of Americans believe in Mitchell's government cover-up!

Geez! Why don't people get more intelligent?

Barb Rainey

Last edited by barbrainey; 24 April 2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: wrong word "now", should be "no"
Old 24 April 2009, 02:42 AM
Altered Statesman

Ed Mitchell: Going to the Moon doesn’t mean you’re right
Old 24 April 2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
Good article. I was thinking along the same lines: Unless he is claiming he saw native creatures when he was on the moon, what does being an astronaut have to do with it?
Old 24 April 2009, 04:49 AM
Altered Statesman

That's what I've always though about most things, 'argument from authority' is fine but you need evidence too, which is why I love this site. I was looking for some quotes or videos of Neil Armstrong being interviewed about him because from memory, he doesn't really like the man.
Old 24 April 2009, 06:33 AM

Airplane

Quote:
Mitchell's call for the government to open up is futile. I don't believe they are covering up alien existence or crashed alien craft. Why would they?
I always recall an interview of a NASA guy debunking this "we've hidden the aliens" claim. His answer was something like, "Can you imagine the amount of funding we'd get if we showed proof of life in space". He reacons they'd all be in work for decades.

I also feel that being an astronaut does not make you an expert on space. While they were all highly educated, their typical background was air-force pilot.
Old 24 April 2009, 06:47 AM

He obviously is aware of the chimps who came back super-intelligent.
Old 24 April 2009, 12:37 PM

This is nothing new. Ed Mitchell has been saying this kind of lunacy for years. As may people have said before, simply because you are an astronaut and have been to the moon, doesn't mean that you get a pass to say loony things and be taken seriously on it.
Old 25 April 2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I also feel that being an astronaut does not make you an expert on space. While they were all highly educated, their typical background was air-force pilot.
EXACTLY. I love my pilots. Really, I do. (It's the same kind of love that keeps you from murdering your children after they burn your house down while playing with matches). But if there is one thing I have learned over the years from the hundreds of pilots I've dealth with, the intelligence of the average pilot rapidly decreases as his/her physical physical distance from his/her airframe increases.