snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 February 2018, 03:47 AM

Marijuana is inherently funny. There's no way to discuss it in detail without snickering, so the names might as well reflect that.

Iím not sure if you've ever used it recreationally, but it can induce paranoia in some folks. Not me; I find it very relaxing. But it's something to keep in mind.
Old 05 February 2018, 03:59 AM

Yeah, I've gotten paranoid while high before (in the distant past - I haven't used marijuana recreationally in years, partly for that reason.) But from what I've read, some strains are low in THC, which reduces the risk of that side effect. Which is one of the reasons I'm rooting for legalization - I love the idea of being able to talk to a professional about different strains and their effects, instead of just winging it with whatever is available from the local kid who sells pot.
Old 05 February 2018, 11:37 AM

Blow Your Top

The only time I've really tried marijuana recreationally was when I was at a party and my best buddies handed me a big ol' chocolate muffin and didn't tell me that it was a weed muffin. I got pretty darned paranoid and they called me a taxi and sent me home but still didn't tell me there'd been weed in the muffin, they just let me leave.
Old 05 February 2018, 03:04 PM

GM, that was extremely obnoxious of them.

Though I suppose it's possible that they were too stoned themselves to realize that you didn't know what was going on; and for that matter that you didn't know what was in the muffin when they handed it to you. You'd have a better idea of that than I would.
Old 05 February 2018, 03:09 PM

Giving people drugs surreptitiously is a shit thing to do.
Old 05 February 2018, 03:24 PM

It is also illegal, at least in Colorado.
Old 05 February 2018, 03:51 PM

Glasses

IMO, it's a form of poisoning, and should be illegal everywhere. And no, it doesn't matter what you're given--any drug can be a poison in the right circumstances.

I went to Vancouver BC yesterday looking for some trim and a single piece of fabric (Tootsie and I were, in fact, looking for fabric together for a project we're working on). Instead I found some trim I needed, two pieces of trim I didn't particularly need, a sari and a dress. Oh, and a bottle of scotch from the duty free, but I was expecting to buy something like that.

Seaboe

Seaboe
Old 05 February 2018, 08:03 PM

A couple years ago, I ate some cake that had been laced without knowing it at the time. I put it together later on. I know with 100% certainty that there was know malicious intent in offering it to me. In hind site I realized that the offering of baked goods on the dance floor was a good clue that it was more than just cake.
Old 07 February 2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
GM, that was extremely obnoxious of them.

Though I suppose it's possible that they were too stoned themselves to realize that you didn't know what was going on; and for that matter that you didn't know what was in the muffin when they handed it to you. You'd have a better idea of that than I would.
They were fully aware of what they were doing, it was straight up obnoxious.
Old 07 February 2018, 03:19 PM

Glasses

Finally, finally, I'm getting excited about this costume project, to the point that I'm staying up late to work on it. This is a good thing, given that it has to be done in 7 weeks. I almost have the back of the dress ready to be sewn in the fashion fabric. Next will be pleating the skirt, then cutting out the rest of the bodice and sewing it all together.

Unfortunately, I cannot work on this from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon, because I'll be elsewhere working on other things. Including things that will make my next costume easier to construct, so it's not all bad. ETA: ...while typing up a post in LTTMMH, I realized how I can continue to work on it this weekend.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 07 February 2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09 February 2018, 04:23 PM

Ok, so this week has been a train wreck, but on the plus side, I lost 3 pounds. Considering n two weeks I had gained 9 pounds somehow, I will take this little 3 pound loss victory with a happy heart.
Old 14 February 2018, 05:34 AM

More cars. I photographed this old Rambler in my neighborhood last weekend. At first I wasn't happy with how it turned out, mainly because of the glare coming off the chrome. But the more I look at it the more I like it. Pretty much everything about it says "California". The 1960s car with the iconic black CA plate. The perfect car for cruising on Saturday night. And the palm trees in the background. The bright, sunny day. And the tinted windows almost make it seem like the car's wearing sunglasses.

Rambler Classic by mtwilda, on Flickr
Old 14 February 2018, 03:02 PM

Glasses

You know that feeling you get when you've had too much to eat, and your stomach aches a little? I've had that feeling for three days now (and I haven't been over-eating). It's very like what it feels like if I eat too much garlic (enough to taste it = too much), but I haven't eaten any garlic, and even if I had, that would've been last weekend. Anyway, I'm at work today, but I'm not sure I'm going to stay. There's stuff to get done, and I'll do that, at which point I might go home.

I am, however, making good progress on my costume, so there's that.

Seaboe
Old 14 February 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
More cars. I photographed this old Rambler in my neighborhood last weekend. At first I wasn't happy with how it turned out, mainly because of the glare coming off the chrome. But the more I look at it the more I like it. Pretty much everything about it says "California". The 1960s car with the iconic black CA plate. The perfect car for cruising on Saturday night. And the palm trees in the background. The bright, sunny day. And the tinted windows almost make it seem like the car's wearing sunglasses.
The houses look appropriately old, as well (whether or not they're actually mid century I don't know, but single story houses with porches are kind of timeless). If you could get rid of all the parked modern cars it'd be perfect.
Old 15 February 2018, 03:19 AM

Those particular houses are actually from the 1970s, buy yeah, they're almost indistinguishable from the actual mid century houses a few blocks away.
Old 15 February 2018, 12:56 PM

My daughter has decided it's best for her to move back to Ohio, at least until she finishes school (college, online). She'll be here the 28th. We're going to turn the tiny (but fortunately separate) dining room in my tiny apartment into a makeshift bedroom until we can find/move into something bigger.

I expect there will be tense moments, especially since she's bringing her high-strung calico cat back with her. The cat has lived with all the other cats in the household, but they didn't get along great then, and I'm sure she's forgotten about them. She's probably been in heaven, going for weeks or months at a time without seeing another cat or person.

I'm very proud of the way she made this decision, and of her positive attitude toward it. I did warn her that there may be people out there who want to paint this as a failure, and that she needs to reject such ideas. I spent far too much of my youth regretting things and beating myself up, and I'm hoping she can avoid some of that.

ETA: Also I've missed her, especially recently, and it will be nice to have her around again.
Old 15 February 2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

I'm very proud of the way she made this decision, and of her positive attitude toward it. I did warn her that there may be people out there who want to paint this as a failure, and that she needs to reject such ideas. I spent far too much of my youth regretting things and beating myself up, and I'm hoping she can avoid some of that.
My son lived at home for a few years after university and definitely had a few people telling him that this was a really bad idea. Well, for some people I'm sure it would have been but we found it very workable. Anyway fast forward a few years and he owns his own house, has a car and is gainfully employed. Oh and not living at home. Some people really need to understand that what worked for them isn't the blueprint for life for everyone they know!
Old 15 February 2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My daughter has decided it's best for her to move back to Ohio, at least until she finishes school (college, online). She'll be here the 28th. We're going to turn the tiny (but fortunately separate) dining room in my tiny apartment into a makeshift bedroom until we can find/move into something bigger.

I expect there will be tense moments, especially since she's bringing her high-strung calico cat back with her. The cat has lived with all the other cats in the household, but they didn't get along great then, and I'm sure she's forgotten about them. She's probably been in heaven, going for weeks or months at a time without seeing another cat or person.

ETA: Also I've missed her, especially recently, and it will be nice to have her around again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
My son lived at home for a few years after university and definitely had a few people telling him that this was a really bad idea. Well, for some people I'm sure it would have been but we found it very workable. Anyway fast forward a few years and he owns his own house, has a car and is gainfully employed. Oh and not living at home. Some people really need to understand that what worked for them isn't the blueprint for life for everyone they know!
My sister absolutely rejects the fact that she might be better off moving in with my parents, despite needing their help paying her rent on a regular basis.

Sometimes, pride just gets in the way of the best decision, and people who are able to make a clear, informed choice should be praised.

Lainie, tell you daughter that some of your imaginary internet friends approve of her decision!

ETA:
What I was actually coming to unhijackable to add:
I find the debate about immigration in the US (and elsewhere, but mostly the US) hilariously confusing when I read things like this

Lebannon?
Cairo?

Are we sure this guy was an American? He seems to have spent a lot of time in places with "arab" names.
Old 16 February 2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
My son lived at home for a few years after university and definitely had a few people telling him that this was a really bad idea. Well, for some people I'm sure it would have been but we found it very workable.
I think this society may actually be rather odd in insisting that generations are supposed to live separately.

People should do what fits the particular family and the particular individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
My sister absolutely rejects the fact that she might be better off moving in with my parents, despite needing their help paying her rent on a regular basis.

Sometimes, pride just gets in the way of the best decision, and people who are able to make a clear, informed choice should be praised.
Sometimes it's pride; but sometimes people really don't get along in the same house, however well they get along if they live separately. And problems aren't always obvious to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
ETA:
What I was actually coming to unhijackable to add:
I find the debate about immigration in the US (and elsewhere, but mostly the US) hilariously confusing when I read things like [URL

Lebannon?
Cairo?

Are we sure this guy was an American? He seems to have spent a lot of time in places with "arab" names.
Not only have most Americans come from somewhere else within the last few generations, often with name still attached; but early every* place in the USA is named either for something or somebody who was destroyed in order to create the place so named, or for some previously existing place of the same name, often someplace in another country entirely.

I live near Naples, Dundee, Syracuse, Rome, Ithaca, etc. All in New York State.

*slight exaggeration. There is Penn Yan, after all, and Crystal Springs, and Fergusons' Corners, and Pleasant Valley; also etc. But it does often seem like that.
Old 16 February 2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
but early every* place in the USA is named either for something or somebody who was destroyed in order to create the place so named
How about a place named for something that destroys itself in order to create the next generation?