snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 10 February 2018, 01:45 PM

Whalephant

That I lost my mailbox key and I will have to pay to get a new one-they will need to replace the lock.
Old 11 February 2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
So you are doing a "job" where they don't really know what they want, they need it NOW, and they will pay you....sometime? Probably? Welcome to consulting!
They still haven't completely paid me for I job I did last September. God knows if/when I'll get paid for this job.

Oh and speaking of scale issues, I was on my way in to the workshop on Saturday morning when the guy running the whole thing texted me and said "We've nearly finished the arms!" When I got there I looked over his work and my first question was "Why are his arms as thick as his legs?" He hadn't checked the design when he was working, he just picked a random size and started making arms to that thickness and somehow never realised he'd made them 50% too wide. When I pointed out the mistake he tried to argue that they looked okay and tried to wriggle out of fixing the problem but there was no way in hell I was letting him get away with that after he'd made me redo a bunch of work because of a 5% scale issue.

The arms had been an issue for a while, the guy in charge had placed the sockets that the arms would slot into right in close to the internal framework and when I pointed out that'd cause problems down the line after we'd built the rest of the torso he shrugged it off. A few days later we had to spend several hours re-engineering the shoulder attachments so that they extended out to where I'd originally told him to put them because LO AND BEHOLD he couldn't get the arms on after we'd built the rest of the torso.

Here's the sketch of the statue we started with last week and the completed statue that was installed earlier today:

We had to pull an all-nighter to get it done, we made the hat in about 10 minutes on Sunday morning while the rest of the statue was being packed into the truck. (A LTTAM: the guy running the project spent 3 hours on Wednesday googling pictures and 3D models of hats as 'research'. I was dead sure he was wasting his time and I'd end up making it out of any old crap at the last minute and it turns out I was right.) People who saw it seemed to be pretty impressed (it's nearly 14 feet tall, it's huge) but we clearly cut a LOT of corners to get it done and I'm really not very satisfied with the results.
The guitar looks great (they designed it in CAD and cut the shapes on a laser plotter so it was super super precise) but the other guys spent most of the week working on that at the expense of the rest of the piece.

Oh and you'll note that the arms which were allegedly "almost finished" the previous morning didn't actually get finished after all.

The most annoying aspect of the entire project was that the guy running it kept insisting that I was integral to the work because I could do the things that no one else on the team could do but about 50% of the time he disregarded my advice because he thought he knew a quicker or more efficient way of doing things which meant that we wasted a huge amount of time fixing his mistakes. Poor planning was a problem throughout the entire project even at the design stage given that we only had a week to complete it and a 4m tall organically-shaped object with a very narrow base was way too much for such a small team, especially a human figure where the proportions had to be correct otherwise it would look weird. If he'd realised that and submitted a different design that played to our strengths we wouldn't have had to run ourselves ragged.
Old 11 February 2018, 04:16 PM

If they haven't paid you for the last job, why did you take another job with them?
Old 12 February 2018, 01:33 AM

The job has great hypothetical benefits?
Old 12 February 2018, 02:58 AM

When my family went out to dinner tonight, after getting done, someone had thrown up in the parking lot right next to our car. Several times.
Old 12 February 2018, 06:39 AM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If they haven't paid you for the last job, why did you take another job with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The job has great hypothetical benefits?
Mostly this. They've got a big project in the works with a certain production company who have apparently lined up most of the finance via corporate sponsors and if it all goes through I'll potentially be employed for somewhere between 6 to 12 months.

But if another big job comes up in the meantime and they still haven't paid me for the last two then I'll have to say no.
Old 12 February 2018, 05:27 PM

GM, you need to learn and practice something my sister learned long ago (she's a costumer and theater major). And that is: Art For Money. Good luck!
Old 12 February 2018, 07:39 PM

Icon605

One of the reasons I stopped doing stand up comedy was that there were way too many comedians who begged and pleaded with me to make props or costumes for their shows but pretty much most of them massively undervalued my time and efforts and paid me a pittance for my work, and even a few who borrowed my personal items and then threw them away when they were done with them or broke them and seemed offended that I'd ask them to repair or replace them.
Old 13 February 2018, 12:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3RJhoqgK8

(NFBSK language)
Old 13 February 2018, 01:32 AM

LTTAM: Mice. After about 6 years of peace and quiet, thanks to the sonic mouse repellers I installed, a batch of mice that is immune to them has moved in (it's not the repellers gone bad; those I have replaced several times). And they are canny little f***ers; using a mix of snap traps and two styles of glue traps, I have only caught three of their offspring in the last two months; I have seen the adults but they remain uncaught. I just now watched one of the juvies exploring my living room, bold as brass, in a house where I am sitting in the living room reading, lights on, TV on a music channel, and my wife is hosting her weekly Bible study with 6 friends in the other room. Not a quiet or dark house, and that little bugger is scurrying around like it's 2 a.m.
Old 13 February 2018, 01:38 AM

So you've got an infestation of deaf mice?
Old 13 February 2018, 05:38 AM

Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I can also strongly recommend the Twitter feed https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt (but only in small doses because it's maddening)
Old 13 February 2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
It's that or Biker Mice from Mars...
Old 13 February 2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
It's been a while since they came out with a new nursery rhyme.
Old 13 February 2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
It's that or Biker Mice from Mars...
Are you accusing Crius of being an evil alien fish?
Old 13 February 2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Are you accusing Crius of being an evil alien fish?
If the shoe fits....
or is it, if it doesn't fit, you must acquit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
It's been a while since they came out with a new nursery rhyme.
3 differently able mice, 3 differently able mice
See how they cunningly travel their surroundings, see how they cunningly travel their surroundings
They set up a server for crypto mining in your basement
and made a tent of your finest raiment
Did you ever see such a sight in your life,
as three differently able mice
Old 14 February 2018, 01:52 AM

Well played, all. They alternative nursery rhyme was delightful.

In a more serious vein, apparently mice born within earshot of a sonic repeller grow up essentially immune to them. More likely than not, that's what's happened. This generation is far less constrained than any prior visitors, so I am far more aware of their presence than previously.
Old 16 February 2018, 03:14 AM

Mouse

Today the temperature was in the 70s, but tomorrow, it will be in the 40s. I’ve more or less accepted that Oklahoma is known for its freakish weather and for good reason, but this still feels too much, too illogical even by the already low standards that come with living smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley. I keep wondering if I should say, “Go home, Oklahoma, you’re drunk,” or if I should say, “Go home, Weather, you’re drunk!”

And by typing this post, I have become one of those people who gripe about the weather and “people who gripe about the weather” have always been one of my pet peeves. I know there’s nothing I can do about people griping about the weather and have learned to accept it, but that doesn’t mean I like it.
Old 16 February 2018, 03:43 AM

We were having that record here in western Oregon a month ago.
Old 16 February 2018, 01:57 PM

Here, we are supposed to get a few inches of snow tomorrow and then 70 by Tuesday. We used to get a big snow almost every year, but there has only been one in the past 5 years my daughter has been alive. She thinks that 4 inches is a lot (which will make her future boyfriends happy), but I hope we get a good 2 feet or so sometime before the kids are too old to go and just revel in it.