snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 07 January 2018, 11:08 AM

Default John Young, Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle astronaut, dead at 87

Legendary astronaut John Young -- who twice ventured into space in pioneering two-man Gemini capsules, orbited the moon and then walked on its cratered surface before commanding two space shuttle missions, including the program's maiden flight -- has died, ending one of the most storied careers in space history. NASA said he died Friday night following complications from pneumonia. He was 87.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-yo...er-dead-at-87/
Old 07 January 2018, 09:22 PM

RIP John Young, an amazing career in space. In a clip, I heard, he was shocked that we had not continued manned exploration.

Ali
Old 08 January 2018, 05:45 AM

United States

And that leaves 5 living people who have walked on the moon.

I always though Michael Collins, who flew with Young on Gemini 10, and whose Carrying the Fire is probably the best book by any of the astronauts (certainly of those I've read), ought to have written a biography of Young. Young did publish his own autobiography a few years ago, but the reviews I read said that it was kind of dry, very focused on the engineering aspects of the space program (as Young himself was). I still probably ought to pick it up sometime.

I will always remember him after the first Space Shuttle landing, getting out and practically dancing around the tarmac in enthusiasm for what a great flight it had been.
Old 08 January 2018, 09:32 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
And that leaves 5 living people who have walked on the moon.
Fortunately, Buzz Aldrin will be around a for a while out of sheer cussedness and driven by a mission to punch every moon landing hoaxer in the nose. Go Buzz.
Old 09 January 2018, 03:36 AM

Mouse

Buzz Aldrin punching out Bart Sibrel, is one of life’s little joys. Probably all Buzz’s attorney had to do was say, ”How many of you are thinking about punching him right now?”
Old 09 January 2018, 03:41 AM

Buzz has had enough of your disingenuous assertions!
Old 09 January 2018, 01:35 PM

Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
Fortunately, Buzz Aldrin will be around a for a while out of sheer cussedness and driven by a mission to punch every moon landing hoaxer in the nose. Go Buzz.
I remember hearing about that and thinking: beautiful! I bet that hoaxer saw some stars and maybe a few planets!
Old 10 January 2018, 02:37 AM

Mouse

I provided a link to the actual punching for everyone's enjoyment. It's even more satisfying to watch than it is to just read about it. I'm trying to figure out if it's more satisfying than watching Richard Spencer get punched out, but maybe I shouldn't try to quantify or rank it; maybe I should just enjoy assholes getting punched out.

Pro Tips for Anyone who Needs Them: However punchable someone's face may be, in a contest between the human skull and the human hand, the human hand is the one likely to come out the worse for the experience. Skulls are tough, because they are protecting the brain, which is an extremely important organ in case you didn't know. Hands are predominately sensory organs enabling us to grasp and carry things; unfortunately that means compared with the skull, the bones in your hands might as well be made out of glass. In short, if you're going to punch out assholes, work the body. You get the satisfaction of inflicting pain with a minimal amount of injury to you.

Fishslap put in because I probably shouldn't give instructions in how to commit assault. For those of you wondering, I'm a writer; that's how I know this stuff.