snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 03 April 2018, 03:39 PM

1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain? Telephone

3. In an electric circuit, a rheostat is the most common "variable" type of what component? Resistor

6. What nation is divided into 34 provinces, the two newest being West Sulawesi and North Kalimantan? Indonesia
Old 04 April 2018, 02:00 AM

Baseball

1. We played Chinese Telephone in our communities. Good thing that has gone by the wayside, I hope.

2. Only one that jumps to mind is Brady (James?) of the Reagan assassination.

3. This is where I wish I learned more from my Dad, the electrical engineer. I would submit a capacitor, just because.

4. Good? All I can think of is Good Will Hunting.

5. Bone? I've heard of bone china, just don't know what it is.

6. I'm guessing Indonesia, for no other reason than these names sound somewhat Indonesian.

7. All made some sort of prediction that, despite their original misgivings, was found to be true
Old 04 April 2018, 12:03 PM

UEL, I agree that particular version of the name should go by the wayside; but the game itself I think should stay around.

It teaches people to be wary of friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend rumors.
Old 04 April 2018, 01:53 PM

Glasses

I don't recall the game ever having a nationality attached to its name when I was growing up.

Seattle
Old 04 April 2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I don't recall the game ever having a nationality attached to its name when I was growing up.

Seattle
Probably because it wasn't called Chinese Whispers in the US.
Old 10 April 2018, 12:38 PM

Tuesday trivia time.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain?
"Chinese whispers" is a game of whispering sentences that are so hard to hear they might as well be in a different language. We call it "telephone."

2. What man's death in August 2014 was ruled a homicide, though the fatal bullet had been fired 33 years prior?
Former Reagan press secretary James Brady died in 2014 from gunshot wounds inflicted by John Hinckley, Jr. decades before.

3. In an electric circuit, a rheostat is the most common "variable" type of what component?
It's a variable resistor.

4. Robin Williams' first and last Oscar nominations were for movies whose titles begin with what word?
Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting both begin with the same word: "The." They are actually titled The Good Morning Vietnam and The Good Will Hunting. No, come on, that's not true.

5. In 1800, Josiah Spode revolutionized the fine china industry by adding what ingredient to his firm's porcelain clay?
It's called bone china because it actually contains calcinated animal bones. Enjoy your skeleton tea, sickos!

6. What nation is divided into 34 provinces, the two newest being West Sulawesi and North Kalimantan?
Kalimantan is the Indonesian part of Borneo, and Sulawesi is the Indonesian island formerly known as Celebes.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Henry VIII, Thomas Jefferson, Lucretia Mott, John D. Rockefeller, John Ruskin, Sun Yat-sen, Rabindranath Tagore, Booker T. Washington.
Each one founded a college or university--or is at least credited by some modern school as a co-founder, due to their service on the first board or something. Albert Einstein and Oral Roberts have SO MUCH in common.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What unusual effect is produced by photographing a scene with the selective focus technique called "tilt-shift"?

2. Two Korean family names are so common that one in every three South Koreans has one of them. Name either of the two most common Korean surnames.

3. What kind of body tissue is affected by myopathy?

4. What host, whose show originated in Dayton, Ohio in 1967, had the top-rated daytime talk show in America until Oprah Winfrey dethroned him in 1986?

5. According to the title of his latest album, Justin Timberlake is a "Man of" what unexpected locale?

6. What successor weapon to the catapult takes its name from the French word for "to overthrow"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these teams? Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals, Washington Senators.

Enjoy!
Old 10 April 2018, 12:44 PM

1. It makes the scene look miniature.

2. Kim. Guessing the other is either Park or Lee.

3. Muscles.

4. Phil Donahue.

5. Don't know.

6. Trebuchet.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 10 April 2018, 12:48 PM

1. It makes the scene look like a miniature model shot with a short focal length.

2. Kim is the more obvious... I should probably know the other as well.

3. I'm not sure about the "kind of tissue" but it would be something in your eyes, presumably - corneal tissue? Sclera? Your pupil? Or maybe that's barking up the wrong tree entirely.

6. Trebuchet? Although that sounds as though it should have more to do with mouths or buckets. I can't remember the names of other variants at the moment...

I don't know 4 or 5, and have no chance of getting one about baseball!
Old 10 April 2018, 01:01 PM

Ah, are these baseball teams?

My guess for 6. would have been the same as yours, and I had no idea for the others. I should have guessed 2., though.
Old 10 April 2018, 01:16 PM

5. According to the title of his latest album, Justin Timberlake is a "Man of" what unexpected locale?
Of the woods
6. What successor weapon to the catapult takes its name from the French word for "to overthrow"?
Not to be pedantic but trébucher means to trip. But my guess is still trebuchet
définition ici
Old 10 April 2018, 01:22 PM

1. What unusual effect is produced by photographing a scene with the selective focus technique called "tilt-shift"? It makes actual landscapes look like miniatures.

3. What kind of body tissue is affected by myopathy? Eyes?

4. What host, whose show originated in Dayton, Ohio in 1967, had the top-rated daytime talk show in America until Oprah Winfrey dethroned him in 1986? Dick Cavett?

6. What successor weapon to the catapult takes its name from the French word for "to overthrow"? Trebuchet?
Old 10 April 2018, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What unusual effect is produced by photographing a scene with the selective focus technique called "tilt-shift"?
Sun dogs.
Quote:

2. Two Korean family names are so common that one in every three South Koreans has one of them. Name either of the two most common Korean surnames.
Kim
Quote:

nerve tissue
Quote:

4. What host, whose show originated in Dayton, Ohio in 1967, had the top-rated daytime talk show in America until Oprah Winfrey dethroned him in 1986?
Phil Donahue.
Quote:

Showing how little I know about Mr. Timberlake, he's a man of the moon.
Quote:

Menopause brain. As soon as I went to type the answer, it fled my brain. I'm going to say trebuchet because that's the only thing that comes to mind (although it's wrong). ETA: I guess I should trust my subconscious more.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these teams? Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals, Washington Senators.
Are they the only non-expansion teams left? That's about as good as I can do with a sports team question.

Seaboe
Old 10 April 2018, 02:38 PM

The answer to #4 is Phil Donahue, or as his father-in-law (Danny Thomas) used to call him in a running joke, Geraldo Rivera.
Old 10 April 2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Are they the only non-expansion teams left? That's about as good as I can do with a sports team question.
Since two of those teams, the Boston Braves and Brooklyn Dodgers have moved cities, I don't think it can be said that they are still left.
Old 10 April 2018, 03:36 PM

1. What unusual effect is produced by photographing a scene with the selective focus technique called "tilt-shift"? Don't know if Mr. Jennings is looking for a specific term, but the general effect appears to make real-life photography appear to be miniature models. Well worth Googling (post-contest week, of course); it's a really cool effect.

2. Two Korean family names are so common that one in every three South Koreans has one of them. Name either of the two most common Korean surnames. Pretty sure that one is Park. I think the other might be Kim.

3. What kind of body tissue is affected by myopathy? Muscle?

4. What host, whose show originated in Dayton, Ohio in 1967, had the top-rated daytime talk show in America until Oprah Winfrey dethroned him in 1986? Phil Donahue?

5. According to the title of his latest album, Justin Timberlake is a "Man of" what unexpected locale? The woods. Hence the godawful Super Bowl getup.

6. What successor weapon to the catapult takes its name from the French word for "to overthrow"? Trebuchet?

I feel pretty good about 1-6 this week; no idea about #7.
Old 10 April 2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Since two of those teams, the Boston Braves and Brooklyn Dodgers have moved cities, I don't think it can be said that they are still left.
The Washington Senators also moved. Twice. Once to Minnesota (now the Twins), and the second incarnation to Texas (now the Rangers).
Old 10 April 2018, 04:10 PM

Baseball

1. My favourite technique. Making life sized photos appear to be done in miniature. I almost bought a tilt-shift lens, but it was far too much for me to have a toy.

2. I know a lot of Kims and Parks. I'm guessing those two.

3. Guessing eyes.

4. I am guessing Phil Donahue. Only talk show host of that era I can recall.

5. Wilkes-Barre? Big guess on my part.

6. In the artillery, we refer to the trebuchet quite frequently in our history sessions.

7. I just recognise them for being baseball teams from a long time ago (some still around today). That's the limit of my baseball knowledge.
Old 10 April 2018, 05:27 PM

Kim
Old 10 April 2018, 09:12 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
The Washington Senators also moved. Twice. Once to Minnesota (now the Twins), and the second incarnation to Texas (now the Rangers).
And here I thought the current team in Washington was called the Senators. I realise now that they are the Nationals.

I need to pay more attention to that sport when it does not involve the Blue Jays.
Old 17 April 2018, 12:11 PM

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

It's amazing how just a tiny bit of blurring can make a "tilt-shift" subject look miniaturized.

Twenty-seven million South Koreans are named either "Kim" or "Lee."

Myopathies include diseases like dystrophy, and they affect the muscles.

Phil Donahue was Oprah back when an extremely white male could be our Oprah.

He's a man of the woods now. Wearing flannel and such.

The French verb for "topple" is "trebuchier," which is how the trebuchet got its name.

These are the names of major league baseball teams, sure, but they're also defunct (or transplanted) NFL teams!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the largest island in the Indian Ocean?

2. In a famous 1969 ad, what kind of bird became the mascot for Tootsie Pops?

3. What "Grand Slam" event was not held in 1986, since that was the year organizers decided to move it ahead one month?

4. What famous American owned the Castro Camera store until his assassination in 1978?

5. What kind of particle accelerator did Ernest Lawrence invent in 1932, using an 80-ton surplus magnet from a telegraph company?

6. What was the real-life occupation of the subjects of Picasso's painting Les Demoiselles d'Avignon?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary characters? Antigone, Babar, Bambi, Jose Arcadio Buendia, Deucalion, Victor Frankenstein, Jacob/Israel, Jude the Obscure, Cathy Linton, Metis, Fanny Price, Jack Worthing.

Enjoy!