snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 12 September 2017, 10:28 PM

Default Boy, 11, and parents die after falling into volcanic crater near Naples

An 11-year-old boy and his parents have died after falling into a volcanic crater near Naples.

Italian press reports said the boy walked into a prohibited area at Solfatara di Pozzuoli, one of 40 volcanoes in the Campi Flegrei area west of Naples.

He is believed to have fainted due to gas fumes before falling into the crater. The boy’s parents tried to save him, but the crater collapsed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ra-di-pozzuoli
Old 12 September 2017, 10:52 PM

This might make me a horrible person, but the first thing I thought was that the volcano god demanded the sacrifice of a young virgin.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

The first thing I noticed in EQ's quote was that the boy walked into a prohibited area, and thought stupidity was its own reward (for the boy, not for his parents who tried to save him).

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2017, 04:29 PM

If everyone who did something stupid when they were 11 years old got the death penalty for it, the overpopulation program would have been solved a long time ago.
Old 13 September 2017, 05:35 PM

My 10 year old son is a huge fan of volcanos. He's a smart, dependable kid, as kids go, but I can see him slipping under a barrier to get a closer look in his excitement. Maybe the OP kid was particularly stupid. Maybe he was just a kid.

And for the 7 year old brother to see his family fall, to run back all the way back to the restaurant, alone, crying for help...poor little guy. How do you recover from that?
Old 13 September 2017, 05:43 PM

Icon06

My first thought was why the parents didn't think one of them should stay with the other child...
Old 13 September 2017, 06:32 PM

Probably because they didn't think their lives were in danger. Or maybe because its not so easy to think perfectly clearly when one of your childrens' life is in danger.
Old 13 September 2017, 07:19 PM

My first reaction to the OP was to get very very sad. No one deserves to die for going into a restricted area. Children make mistakes of judgment all the time. They are children. Parents will put themselves in danger to try to save a child. And many parents would think so clearly and rationally in that situation that one of them would have thought to remain behind just in case. It was a tragedy.
Old 13 September 2017, 07:25 PM

It reminds me of the cases that occasionally happen on farms involving silos or manure pits, in which one family member after another goes in, and dies, trying to rescue those who have already been overcome by fumes.

I don't know whether the people in this case knew that the fumes were hazardous. I also don't know how much warning they were given by the people running the place; or how much attention they gave to whatever information they were given.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
It reminds me of the cases that occasionally happen on farms involving silos or manure pits, in which one family member after another goes in, and dies, trying to rescue those who have already been overcome by fumes.

I don't know whether the people in this case knew that the fumes were hazardous. I also don't know how much warning they were given by the people running the place; or how much attention they gave to whatever information they were given.
That is the problem. We don't know. I would assume that a tourist attraction based on something deadly like a volcano would have lots of signage about the dangers (like the signs about the geysers in Yellowstone)... but none of the articles I've read have any details.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:33 PM

Articles I read said there were signs with warnings in multiple languages, but they did not detail what the signs said. They also mentioned that the crater is surrounded by mud that is like quicksand, and multiple articles referred to the parents as being sucked in. There apparently had been heavy rains that made that effect worse.

My opinion doesn't change, even if the signs were clear. This would not be the first 11 years old to make a very serious error in judgment and ignore a sign. Parents are unlikely to just stand by and not try to rescue their child, and will often not act entirely rationally about it. No one deserves to die for those errors.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:10 PM

Mother Nature sometimes exacts the death penalty for momentary stupidity.

If she did so all the time, I very much doubt any of us would live to grow up.

-- Alarm, the story reads somewhat as if the parents sent the younger child back to get help, though it's not clear to me whether they did so or whether it was his own idea. If they did, that may also have been an attempt to care for the younger child by getting him away from the danger and to people who could help him if needed.
Old 17 September 2017, 10:29 PM

I visited Solfatara in 2010--there are many areas blocked by fencing and large yellow signs warning of extreme heat in multiple languages. There are also signs warning of danger in restricted areas. This is a horrible, heartbreaking story. I'm sure the parents weren't really thinking rationally--I wouldn't have been. How awful for everyone involved.
Old 17 September 2017, 10:35 PM

Several reports say a portion of the crater crumbled beneath the parents. Since they probably couldn't have predicted that, the way they acted may have seemed safe and reasonable to them at the time.
Old 18 September 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Several reports say a portion of the crater crumbled beneath the parents. Since they probably couldn't have predicted that, the way they acted may have seemed safe and reasonable to them at the time.
Just as a general heads up to anybody reading this:

If there is reason to suspect that somebody has passed out from hazardous fumes: do not, do not, do not go in wherever it is after them. Go get help. Help with scuba gear. Do not, absolutely do not go into any such situation without a selfcontained breathing system that you are certain is working. That applies to manure pits, silos, any enclosed area in which someone is spraying or otherwise applying something toxic, and, apparently, volcanic calderas.

You will not save your friend's or family members' life. You will only add to the death toll.
Old 18 September 2017, 01:07 AM

Good point, TL. I was assuming they just had seen their child fall, and didn't realize it was fumes.
Old 18 September 2017, 02:58 AM

They may not have realized it. I don't know whether the signage Ariadne testified to warned of fumes, or for that matter of collapse.

And even if the signs mentioned fumes, they may not have realized the extent of the danger. Many people have never heard much about it -- my own education on the subject mostly dates to having run into this story; and I'd been living in farm country quite a few years before then. So I now tend to make loud noises about it when the subject comes up.
Old 18 September 2017, 05:23 AM

I was trained as a "evacuation helper" at work, and part of that training included that if you see smoke coming from under the office door of a co-worker, do not go in to help, but call the fire department/raise a fire alarm. Otherwise, there mght well be to persons lying unconcious in that room and still nobody knows about the fire.

The instructor even sounded like thorny locust in the post above...