1. New Mexico.

2. Tempertaure.

3. Mariska Hargitay?

4. Leopard.

5. Queen.

6. Don't know.

7. Nothing springs to mind.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:08 PM

1. What U.S. state is home to the world's largest hot air balloon festival?

Arizona

2. According to a 2007 study, what can be calculated by counting the number of cricket chirps in a 13-second interval, then adding 40?

The temperature

4. Congolese dictator Mobutu Sese Seko's trademark fashion accessory was a cap made from the skin of what animal?

A leopard

5. According to the popular mnemonic, which chess piece is always placed on its own color?

The queen
Old 12 September 2017, 12:47 PM

I've got number seven. They were all captured by pirates.
Old 12 September 2017, 01:06 PM

Frying Pan

Aargh! I knew the answer to last week's question about The US city named after a President, but for some reason I thought he was asking about state capitols, thus my answer of Jefferson City.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:20 PM

If number 5 is not just about initial set up, then it's the king's bishop, but I don't know the mnemonic, so I don't know exactly what he's asking.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:23 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV stars? Gillian Anderson, Jessica Capshaw, Claire Danes, Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Naturi Naughton, Amy Poehler, Phylicia Rashad, Keri Russell, Kerry Washington.
At some point, each had to conceal a pregnancy, in various digitally-assisted or shopping-bag-holding ways, on their TV series.
Seriously? That's not a particularly unusual situation. I can think of at least one other show (Diane Farr in Numb3rs), and I'm sure there were others.

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

New Mexico.
Quote:

2. According to a 2007 study, what can be calculated by counting the number of cricket chirps in a 13-second interval, then adding 40?
Temperature in degrees farenheit.
Quote:

3. Who's the only Law & Order: SVU cast member to have been a regular for the show's entire run?
This would require me to have seen the show. Since I haven't, I can't name any of the cast members.
Quote:

4. Congolese dictator Mobutu Sese Seko's trademark fashion accessory was a cap made from the skin of what animal?
Cheetah
Quote:

5. According to the popular mnemonic, which chess piece is always placed on its own color?
rook. I don't play chess, and barely know the names of the pieces.
Quote:

6. In what country did Speedo release its first swimwear line, in 1927?
Italy. Actually, I don't have a clue, but thought I'd go for Europe over Africa or South America.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these historical figures? Julius Caesar, Miguel de Cervantes, Diogenes, Fra Filippo Lippi, Hugh Glass, James I of Scotland, Saint Patrick, Captain John Smith.
Well, Caesar crossed the rubicon, Cervantes wrote his novel in jail, Diogenes never found his honest man, Browning wrote about Lippi, St. Pat was a slave (and not Irish), and John Smith didn't marry Pocohontas. I'm going with the spent time as a prisoner/ slave option.

Seaboe
Old 12 September 2017, 03:32 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Seriously? That's not a particularly unusual situation. I can think of at least one other show (Diane Farr in Numb3rs), and I'm sure there were others.
Well, way fewer than 50% of TV actors have done it--almost no* male actors have ever had to conceal a pregnancy, and you know, also #notallwomen.

just hedging
Old 12 September 2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That doesn't seem at all unusual to me. So were Lucille Ball, Debra Messing, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Katey Sagal -- that's just off the top of my head.
At least two of women I mentioned in the above post -- Courteney Cox and Debra Messing -- concealed pregnancies during their show (with varying levels of effectiveness).
Old 12 September 2017, 04:53 PM

Icon97

Quote:

3. Who's the only Law & Order: SVU cast member to have been a regular for the show's entire run?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these historical figures? Julius Caesar, Miguel de Cervantes, Diogenes, Fra Filippo Lippi, Hugh Glass, James I of Scotland, Saint Patrick, Captain John Smith.
1. New Mexico?
2. Temperature in Fahrenheit
3. Mariska Hargitay or however you spell it.
4. Cheetah?
5. Queen on Qolour
6. I think Speedo started out as an Australian company
7. No idea
Old 12 September 2017, 06:42 PM

1. What U.S. state is home to the world's largest hot air balloon festival? No idea. Let's go with Nebraska, if only for the Wizard of Oz/Omaha connection.

2. According to a 2007 study, what can be calculated by counting the number of cricket chirps in a 13-second interval, then adding 40? Temperature (in degrees Fahrenheit)?

3. Who's the only Law & Order: SVU cast member to have been a regular for the show's entire run? Mariska Hartigay?

4. Congolese dictator Mobutu Sese Seko's trademark fashion accessory was a cap made from the skin of what animal? Leopard, I think.

5. According to the popular mnemonic, which chess piece is always placed on its own color? Queen

6. In what country did Speedo release its first swimwear line, in 1927? Australia?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these historical figures? Julius Caesar, Miguel de Cervantes, Diogenes, Fra Filippo Lippi, Hugh Glass, James I of Scotland, Saint Patrick, Captain John Smith. Hmmm.... something about famously apocryphal biographical episodes? (Doesn't seem that unusual, though, for historical figures.)
Old 13 September 2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
1. What U.S. state is home to the world's largest hot air balloon festival? No idea. Let's go with Nebraska, if only for the Wizard of Oz/Omaha connection.
Okay, I'm sure I should know this, but what's the connection with Nebraska and "The Wizard of Oz">?
Old 13 September 2017, 12:33 PM

Was Baum from Nebraska? The story was set in Kansas in the movie, and I think in the book, too.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:39 PM

Glasses

I think musicgeek got mixed up. All those midwestern states look alike, anyway.

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2017, 08:30 PM

Since the whited-for-spoilers is out of the bag.... (and since I'm reasonably sure it's not the correct answer in any case):

In the original story (and in the 1939 film), the wizard was a hot air balloonist from Omaha whose balloon was somehow blown off course, landing him in Oz, where the denizens took his descent from the sky as a sign of his great power and installed him as Wizard/ruler.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Since the whited-for-spoilers is out of the bag.... (and since I'm reasonably sure it's not the correct answer in any case):

In the original story (and in the 1939 film), the wizard was a hot air balloonist from Omaha whose balloon was somehow blown off course, landing him in Oz, where the denizens took his descent from the sky as a sign of his great power and installed him as Wizard/ruler.
Oh, of course! I'd forgotten that, even though I have read the book. I was thinking of the movie, with which I'm more familiar (as are most people) and in that, he says he's "an old Kansas man, myself".

I have no idea if your answer is right or not, but thanks for the Oz trivia!
Old 19 September 2017, 10:36 AM

Tuesday Trivia Time ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

New Mexico. Hot air balloonists: you should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

That's apparently the most accurate cricket-based algorithm for calculating air temperature. Or you could just, you know, look at the weather app on your phone.

Mariska Hargitay, still hanging in there. Ice-T is just a year behind in seniority.

I know what he really loves you for: itís your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat!

Queen on her own color. The queen is a huge racist, is what I'm saying.

Speedo was an Australian company born and bred, though the corporate headquarters have been located in Nottingham, England for decades.

Each was, in fine literary tradition, captured by pirates at some point in their lives. The incidence of pirate kidnapping is dramatically lower among modern celebrities. Get on it, Ariana Grande.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What religion's followers take a vow of ahimsa, meaning non-violence?

2. What word was used to describe a best-selling 1980 "Handbook" by Lisa Birnbach as well as the 1986 "Murder" of Jennifer Levin by Robert Chambers?

3. What ancient Roman observance fell on the thirteenth day of every month, except in March, May, July, and October?

4. In what two films has Tom Hanks played a former military pilot?

5. When can one see "Baily's beads," named for the French scientist who explained them?

6. Entertainment is the canonical middle name of what American restaurant mascot?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "After the Gold Rush," "A Day in the Life," "Digital Love," "It Ain't Me," "It's the End of the World as We Know It," "La Isla Bonita," "Manic Monday," "Say You Say Me," "The Song Remains the Same," "The Sound of Silence," "Spill the Wine," "Via Chicago."

Enjoy.
Old 19 September 2017, 10:42 AM

Jainism
Old 19 September 2017, 11:33 AM

2. What word was used to describe a best-selling 1980 "Handbook" by Lisa Birnbach as well as the 1986 "Murder" of Jennifer Levin by Robert Chambers? Preppy

3. What ancient Roman observance fell on the thirteenth day of every month, except in March, May, July, and October?
Ides?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "After the Gold Rush," "A Day in the Life," "Digital Love," "It Ain't Me," "It's the End of the World as We Know It," "La Isla Bonita," "Manic Monday," "Say You Say Me," "The Song Remains the Same," "The Sound of Silence," "Spill the Wine," "Via Chicago." They all mention dreams
Old 19 September 2017, 12:49 PM

The Ides

4. In what two films has Tom Hanks played a former military pilot? Scully and Apollo 13?

5. When can one see "Baily's beads," named for the French scientist who explained them? During a total solar eclipse
Old 19 September 2017, 01:07 PM

Jainism

2. What word was used to describe a best-selling 1980 "Handbook" by Lisa Birnbach as well as the 1986 "Murder" of Jennifer Levin by Robert Chambers? Preppy

3. What ancient Roman observance fell on the thirteenth day of every month, except in March, May, July, and October? the Ides

4. In what two films has Tom Hanks played a former military pilot? Apollo 13 and Castaway