snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 15 July 2010, 08:51 PM

Default Seriously inapropriate Hallmark card

Can anyone verify this?
Old 15 July 2010, 08:56 PM

I have no way to determine if it's Photoshopped, but it looks like it could be from one of those kiosks where you can create your own card using your own photos. The fruit border could be a standard "summertime" design theme that allows for a personal image or photo to be imported and printed on the card.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:57 PM

Hello Kitty

I don't think this is that inappropriate. I bet the inside is something about growing old and wishing you still had those boobs you wished for when you were kids. Category: Humorous Birthday Wishes Between Ageing Female Friends.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:58 PM

I'm an aging female, and it made me giggle.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:00 PM

I thought it was funny, I remember doing stuff like that when I was little, but usually with balloons or nerf balls. Looks like a birthday card that's supposed to be exchanged between two old female friends, reminiscing about silly things they did when they were kids. Had I seen that in the card aisle it would have made me chuckle, I never would have considered it inappropriate.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:01 PM

I bet the inside says something like "orange you glad you have friends?"

I don't see what's inappropriate about it.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
I don't think this is that inappropriate. I bet the inside is something about growing old and wishing you still had those boobs you wished for when you were kids. Category: Humorous Birthday Wishes Between Aging Female Friends.
If it was my daughter at home I might giggle. The rules change when it's on a card for mass production and her top is gaping open while she pretends to have boobs. YMMV And I didn't think of the Kiosk angle, I didn't know Hallmark did that.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:04 PM

Why does it change all that much? It's not like it's your daughter whose top is open for mass production. Besides, they're so young there's nothing there to be seen anyway.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:06 PM

I don't find it seriously inapropriate*. It is two girls playing dress-up by imitating how they see grownup women.

*Depending on the context of the text inside. For example, a birthday card message to a friend you've had since you were both kids would be fine.

ETA: HAB 803-1 does seem to be a match for Hallmark's card numbering. But I can't find a catalog by number.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Why does it change all that much? It's not like it's your daughter whose top is open for mass production. Besides, they're so young there's nothing there to be seen anyway.
I think that's why it bothers me so much. Let me try to explain, if it was a little girl plying on the beach in her underwear with a bucket it wouldn't bother me. But the fact that she is trying to appear more mature/sexy but do to the gaping is obviously still not developed that has me picturing the guy down the block in his van drooling over it. Maybe it's just me.

Quote:
And what is there is hidden by the oranges.

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Not to mention, these girls are probably grown women at this point. This looks like an actual family photo re purposed into a card, rather than one taken professionally. No one is getting victimized here. The fact that their facial expressions are so goofy and childish takes away any possible sexualization of the girls themselves.*

*That is, they're being silly and pretending to have boobs, not acting sexy and pretending to have boobs. There's a big difference in the creepy factor there.

ETA: Google Chrome Translate is telling me this page is in Irish and asking if I'd like to translate it. This is hilarious to me.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:15 PM

The Toddlers/Tiaras or old JonBenet Ramsey footage bothered me way more than this ever could, for those reasons--that is, it's young children being instructed to act sexy, put on the trappings of womanhood, and so on. By themselves, breasts aren't inappropriate. I do think that acting sexy in that way--a huge feathered chorus girl outfit with stuff slit up your thighs, when you're six, is. This, since it's so light hearted and it's just the kids fooling around on their own, feels harmless.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
The Toddlers/Tiaras or old JonBenet Ramsey footage bothered me way more than this ever could, for those reasons--that is, it's young children being instructed to act sexy, put on the trappings of womanhood, and so on. By themselves, breasts aren't inappropriate. I do think that acting sexy in that way--a huge feathered chorus girl outfit with stuff slit up your thighs, when you're six, is. This, since it's so light hearted and it's just the kids fooling around on their own, feels harmless.
Oh I agree.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Stuffing things in your top to pretend to have breasts is, by definition, something a little girl does, not something a grown woman does.

Which reminds me, DD once walked into my bedroom with one of her stuffed animals in her shirt to give her a big (and rather lopsided) bosom.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:19 PM

If it makes you feel better, there's a good chance that one of the girls in the photo is an employee of the company.

I can't speak for Hallmark, but I worked for their major competitor for years. One of the things the card designers did was send out general requests to employees for old photos to use in cards. Many of those vintage-ish photos you see are actual photographs rather than staged and aged.

(And I always used rolled up socks in a bikini top)
Old 15 July 2010, 09:25 PM

Even if it's mass produced, Hallmark would have permission to use the photo, granted by the subjects and their parents (right?). Even still, I dont' see how it's inappropriate. I think it's rather cute, actually, as we used to do the same kinds of things as kids too
Old 15 July 2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
If it makes you feel better, there's a good chance that one of the girls in the photo is an employee of the company.

I can't speak for Hallmark, but I worked for their major competitor for years. One of the things the card designers did was send out general requests to employees for old photos to use in cards. Many of those vintage-ish photos you see are actual photographs rather than staged and aged.

(And I always used rolled up socks in a bikini top)
Yes, oddly it does make me feel better.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
Yes, oddly it does make me feel better.
Why? Their tops are still gaping open, and just as many people are going to see the photo.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:59 PM
Vextas

Surely the card (or more specifically, the image) is only inapropriate if the person deeming it to be so sees more than just an innocent photo of a couple of girls joking around...?
Unfortunatly we now live in a society that has a habit of looking at things with what I refer to as "suspicious eyes". In short - Nothing can ever just be innocent and meaningless, there always has to be an underlaying malevolence or negative connotation, especially when it comes to children.
I used to do things like this when I was younger. The image invokes memories of childhood innocence and friendship, and in my mind, makes a fitting picture for a card that might be given to a close friend. I say this as both a parent, AND a person who used to shove oranges, apples and melons into my clothing.

Last edited by Vextas; 15 July 2010 at 10:05 PM.