snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 06 May 2010, 03:53 PM

Default Prince Charles: Breast Man

I can't remember if we've had this one up before.

Comment: Is this how he sizes up military readiness?

Old 06 May 2010, 04:00 PM

It appears to me he is looking her in the eye, and just making a typical gesture people make while speaking. He's not one of my favorite celebrities, but this is such a nothing.
Old 06 May 2010, 05:07 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
It appears to me he is looking her in the eye, and just making a typical gesture people make while speaking. He's not one of my favorite celebrities, but this is such a nothing.
What do you mean? He's not a 'celebrity', what could he possibly do in his life that makes him a 'favourite' or otherwise? Do you have a list of favourite 'Royalty' from around the world?
Old 06 May 2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I agree the gesture is typical. It looks to me like he's looking a bit lower than her eyes, but one can't really tell from the side.

Years ago I had a male co-worker who, for reasons I can only guess at (social anxiety?), was unable to look people in the eyes while talking to them. So he looked at their chests. In the few weeks it took us to figure out that he did it to men as well as women, the poor guy got a very frosty reception from his female co-workers.
Old 06 May 2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
What do you mean? He's not a 'celebrity', what could he possibly do in his life that makes him a 'favourite' or otherwise? Do you have a list of favourite 'Royalty' from around the world?
What do you mean? Of course he is a celebrity. Every dictionary reference I looked at defines celebrity as some close variation of "a famous person".
Are you saying that Prince Charles is not famous? Or that you don't think that definition should apply to royalty for some reason?
Old 06 May 2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Of course he is a celebrity - he is famous, which is enough in itself, but also his various goings-on are covered by media http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/celebrity

He has too often come across as something of a boor, and often quite ignorant. No more so than a lot of other people, but so what.

As for having a list of favorite Royalty, I cannot say that I do. I really do not pay attention to the information about royals to form much of an opinion. As far as I can go is to say that the Queen Mum was just adorable in her last several decades and Elizabeth II seems to have always had a keen sense of duty to the country (and I just love the stories of her pitching in as a mechanic for the military during WWII - even if it was not entirely a fulltime gig, it was a great example to set).
Old 06 May 2010, 08:39 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
. . . He's not one of my favorite celebrities . . .
Quote:
What do you mean? He's not a 'celebrity' . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
What do you mean? Of course he is a celebrity. . . .
??? Was the first post edited some time after it was quoted? The difference between "not one of my favorite X" and "not an X" seems too plain to be overlooked?

Silas
Old 06 May 2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
??? Was the first post edited some time after it was quoted?
ATNM said Prince Charles wasn't one of his favorite celebs, and JayTea disputed the comment by saying Prince Charles isn't a celeb at all.

Darth Credence and ATNM pointed out that they believe he is. No editing that I can see.
Old 06 May 2010, 09:01 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
ATNM said Prince Charles wasn't one of his favorite celebs, and JayTea disputed the comment by saying Prince Charles isn't a celeb at all.

Darth Credence and ATNM pointed out that they believe he is. No editing that I can see.
I'm presuming that Jay Tea is taking the piss out of people's admiration and affection for royalty, which for the most part are famous for being famous.
Old 06 May 2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufungla View Post
I'm presuming that Jay Tea is taking the piss out of people's admiration and affection for royalty, which for the most part are famous for being famous.
A trait that is hardly mutually exclusive of being a celebrity. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Old 06 May 2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Years ago I had a male co-worker who, for reasons I can only guess at (social anxiety?), was unable to look people in the eyes while talking to them. So he looked at their chests. In the few weeks it took us to figure out that he did it to men as well as women, the poor guy got a very frosty reception from his female co-workers.
I still occasionally do this(not so much looking at the chest but not looking in the eyes) because I have needed glasses since the 5th grade to read the board but didn't actually begin wearing them full time til I was around 20. Once I started wearing them it made me more uncomfortable since everything was much clearer then I was used to.

Throw in several years in a job where situational awareness is very important and I still rarely look someone in the eye when talking to them.
Old 07 May 2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Do you have a list of favourite 'Royalty' from around the world?
My list goes:

1. Princess Mary of Denmark
2. nobody else.
Old 07 May 2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Throw in several years in a job where situational awareness is very important and I still rarely look someone in the eye when talking to them.
This guy's not looking into people's eyes wouldn't have been such a big deal if he had looked, say, over our shoulders, or at our noses. Or if his eyes moved around. But he gazed steadily and directly at people's chests.
Old 07 May 2010, 06:23 AM

Shifty Eyes

It looks like he has his eyes closed--in the middle of blinking. It is hard to tell from that angle.
Old 07 May 2010, 08:01 AM

Of course, if it were his dad, that gesture would probably have been intentional and accompanied by an unwise comment.
Old 07 May 2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
He has too often come across as something of a boor, and often quite ignorant.
I think you're mixing him up with his father, Prince Philip. I'm no fan of Charles's, but I can't recall him being boorish. Well, unless you count that three-people-in-this-marriage stuff.
Old 07 May 2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
My list goes:

1. Princess Mary of Denmark
2. nobody else.
What about princess Madeleine of Sweden?
Old 07 May 2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
I think you're mixing him up with his father, Prince Philip. I'm no fan of Charles's, but I can't recall him being boorish. Well, unless you count that three-people-in-this-marriage stuff.
What really troubled me was the whole "let's pick a nice virgin, spin it as a love match, and assume she'll look the other way like her great-grandmother would have done," especially since Diana was known to have romantic fancies about Charles. I have no ethical objection to a marriage of convenience if both parties understand and consent to that. I suppose one could argue that Diana should have known the score, but I'd bet next month's rent that she didn't, and "the person I ripped off should have known better than to trust me" isn't much of a defense anyway. Whatever Diana's failings, she didn't deserve to be taken advantage of and deceived, especially in such an intimate way.

More to your point, I don't think Charles deliberately preyed upon her; he did what he was expected and even urged to do. I also think he realized, too late and very painfully, that it was wrong.

So no, I don't think he's a boor, either. But his father is.
Old 07 May 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
I can't recall specifics, but I know which prince I am speaking of. Philip has always seemed courtly, rather formal and stodgy, but accepting his part well. Charles, OTOH, has seemed often abrasive and far more self-important than his position as a figurehead-in-waiting warrants. I am well-disposed toward the UK monarchy in general, and I do not loathe Charles as many people seem to, but I have no particular regard for him either.
Old 07 May 2010, 03:39 PM

Philip is famous for saying inappropriate and even rude things to people, often in the course of his official functions. This fun site offers an interactive map of some of them: click on a pin to see what stupid thing Philip said in that particular location (the site also misspells his name).

Gift of the gaffe: Prince Philip's top ten embarrassing moments
(one of a number of such compilations available on the web). Excerpts:

Quote:
3. “You are a woman, aren't you?" Philip to a Kenyan dancer during a State visit.
Quote:
7. Speaking to British exchange students during a 1996 tour of Beijing: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed."

8. "You look as if you're ready for the bed."
Philip’s greeting for the Nigerian secretary-general of the Commonwealth, who has dressed up in his ceremonial robes for a state dinner.

9. It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."
The Prince meets the then Paraguayan dictator General Stroessner:
ETA: I think it's quite possible he really doesn't recognize the inappropriateness of his comments. And I don't mean that as an excuse, because I don't think it is. I just think the gaffes are a symptom of something larger in his character.

Last edited by Lainie; 07 May 2010 at 03:49 PM.