snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 01 November 2009, 06:01 PM

Borg Hallowe'en: a history of All Hallows' Eve, from Samhain to trick-or-treat

What is Hallowe'en? Where does the word come from? And why does it involve children dressing up as witches and extorting sweets with threats? We answer your questions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-or-treat.html
Old 02 November 2009, 08:47 PM

Burning Bibles huh, I don't even know what to say to that one.
Old 09 November 2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
This year the Vatican has proclaimed it a celebration of "terror, fear and death" with an “undercurrent of occultism”, to follow a cry by the Italian Catholic newspaper Avvenire last year that it was a "dangerous celebration of horror and the macabre" which could encourage "pitiless [Satanic] sects without scruples."
I had kids come to the house dressed in Disney Princess costumes. One was dressed as a ladybug. I'm not sure of the celebration of terror,fear and death of a 2 year old dressed as a ladybug. Please explain?
Old 09 November 2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
I had kids come to the house dressed in Disney Princess costumes. One was dressed as a ladybug. I'm not sure of the celebration of terror,fear and death of a 2 year old dressed as a ladybug. Please explain?
You ever seen a toddler on a sugar high? That explains the terror and fear part. I'm not sure where the death part comes in though.
Old 09 November 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a child dressed AS a ladybug, it was a child getting EATEN by a Genetically Modified Killer LadyBug!

And those princesses.. they were really Transgendered children out for a night of being normal. See how it starts?

(mind you, i am a horrible parent, as i dressed my kids up as zombies since they were 7 and able to walk the zombie walk again)..
Old 10 November 2009, 03:14 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post
Burning Bibles huh, I don't even know what to say to that one.
Only "copies of every English version of the Bible other than the King James translation", because only the King James Version was written with all the thees and thous and other funny language that Jesus used.

buf 'wish I were kidding' ungla
Old 11 November 2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
This year the Vatican has proclaimed it a celebration of "terror, fear and death" with an “undercurrent of occultism”, to follow a cry by the Italian Catholic newspaper Avvenire last year that it was a "dangerous celebration of horror and the macabre"
Funny attitude from a Church that's still enshrining and worshipping little bits of corpses, has been encouraging its clerics to acts of self-punishment and mortification, had frightful Judgment Day or Danse of the Dead paintings displayed in its churches or cemetaries, still runs a few catacombs and is generally known for its strong taste for Death, Blood and Suffering.

Maybe it's because they think they have a copyright on the Macabre, and want to keep all the fun for themselves.
Old 12 November 2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
Maybe it's because they think they have a copyright on the Macabre, and want to keep all the fun for themselves.
I don't know about that. They seem more interested in getting rid of Hallowe'en all together. Unlike Christmas and Easter, which they want to keep for Jesus.
Old 12 November 2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
I don't know about that. They seem more interested in getting rid of Hallowe'en all together. Unlike Christmas and Easter, which they want to keep for Jesus.
Well, maybe they want to keep All Saints Day (November 1) and All Souls Day (or Day of the Dead - November 2) for the Church. In most Catholic countries, this is a major holiday, with everyone going to the cemetaries and put flowers on their relatives' graves.

For the florists, it is one of the happiest moments of the year, equal only to St. Valentine's.

Anyway, the Vatican is overreacting, at least as far as Europe's concerned: in most of the continent, it's frowned upon as a pure money-making thing, artificially implanted to boost sales before the Great Christmas spend-fest. After an initial success in the late 90ies due to its novelty appeal, Halloween has quickly faded into a non-event again. In most Catholic countries, *the* great, purely pagan festival the Church never managed to cancel is Mardi Gras (and it's followed by one month of penitence - Lent). All things considered, maybe the Vatican doesn't want to tolerate a second heathen moment of fun in the year.

Last edited by Cyrano; 12 November 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12 November 2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Well, maybe they want to keep All Saints Day (November 1) and All Souls Day (or Day of the Dead - November 2) for the Church. In most Catholic countries, this is a major holiday, with everyone going to the cemetaries and put flowers on their relatives' graves.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with those days.

For the florists, it is one of the happiest moments of the year, equal only to St. Valentine's.

Quote:
Anyway, the Vatican is overreacting, at least as far as Europe's concerned: in most of the continent, it's frowned upon as a pure money-making thing, artificially implanted to boost sales before the Great Christmas spend-fest. After an initial success in the late 90ies due to its novelty appeal, Halloween has quickly faded into a non-event again. In most Catholic countries, *the* great, purely pagan festival the Church never managed to cancel is Mardi Gras (and it's followed by one month of penitence - Lent). All things considered, maybe the Vatican doesn't want to tolerate a second heathen moment of fun in the year.
I take it that Halloween is not as popular in Europe as it is in North America?
Old 13 November 2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
I take it that Halloween is not as popular in Europe as it is in North America?
At least not in Continental Europe, as it is a festival of Celtic origin, while most countries have deep-seated Latin, Germanic or Slavic traditions. As I said, it became a new fad in the late 90's - early 2000's for a while, but the pushy way it was done (suddenly, all shops had tons of Halloween-related stuff for sale, some even opening a whole Halloween department) rather irritated people, who saw it as just another way to make bucks by importing a foreign festival in low-business period of the year.

On the other hand, kids and amateurs of horror movies (like me) were delighted. But, as the "surgery" didn't work, Halloween, after a few rather good years, quickly faded back into obscurity. Now (I can only speak of the region where I live, but I assume it's the same everywhere), it's still celebrated by a few, but mostly as a private event (students' parties, night club Halloween nights, or village balls). You no longer see trick-or-treaters roaming the streets, alas.

In fact, the only thing that remains of this short "boom" is the pumpkin that has become a very popular seasonal veggie in European cuisine.
Old 13 November 2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Continent, but here most Hallowe'en dressing up involves dressing up as something "scary": skeletons, zombies, ghosts, horror film characters etc.
Old 13 November 2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
In fact, the only thing that remains of this short "boom" is the pumpkin that has become a very popular seasonal veggie in European cuisine.
And that's not such a bad thing to come out of it either, pumpkin is tasty!!
Old 13 November 2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Funny attitude from a Church that's still enshrining and worshipping little bits of corpses, has been encouraging its clerics to acts of self-punishment and mortification, had frightful Judgment Day or Danse of the Dead paintings displayed in its churches or cemetaries, still runs a few catacombs and is generally known for its strong taste for Death, Blood and Suffering.

Well, let's face it. The competition's tough. If you're a small kid, which would you rather do:

A. Go to a mass you don't understand and are bored in, not even allowed to have the Body of Christ yet
B. Get to wear a costume with your friends and pig out on mini Snickers bars people give you for free all night long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
I'm not sure about the Continent, but here most Hallowe'en dressing up involves dressing up as something "scary": skeletons, zombies, ghosts, horror film characters etc.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think we had about three Grim Reapers as well. But for every scary costume, there's about 2 more tv, movie or cartoon themed costumes, full of cuteness and win. My fave was the little boy dressed up as Jack Sparrow, and when I announced to Ma that "the most awesome pirate is at our door", that little boy just beamed. (1, 2, 3...AWWWWWW)

Besides, it's not Halloween they should worry about, it's Cabbage Night (the night before). That's when the serious mayhem happens. Lots of shaving cream on store windows, tp attacks all over the place, smashes pumpkins in the road...
Old 13 November 2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
. My fave was the little boy dressed up as Jack Sparrow, and when I announced to Ma that "the most awesome pirate is at our door", that little boy just beamed. (1, 2, 3...AWWWWWW)
Last year we had the kewtest little boy that couldn't decide if he wanted to be a pirate or a dinosaur so he was a Dinosaur Pirate.

He had on the Jack Sparrow dreadlock wig/hat combo, a little penciled in moustache & the rest of him was a chubby little green dinosaur suit complete with chubby dino-feet!
Old 22 November 2009, 12:57 PM

A dinosaur pirate - well, maybe he would have gotten something from me. Apart from that I usually get 2-3 kids knocking on my door. But since I am a frowner, I decided to not be at home that night, so I do not have to disappoint kids on a night they should be having fun. I often get toothpaste on my door for that, but that's okay with me.

But yes, Helloween has faded in these parts. It was good for not having christmas decoration in August, but we have that back again. Well, maybe not decoration, but the "seasonal sweets". Which apparently are sold out in November now. I just wait for the first easter things to appear any minute.