snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 27 January 2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post
I didn't think Nyquil had alcohol in it anymore.
The liquid does...10%. The gelcaps don't.
Old 27 January 2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
250mg of acinometaphen per tablet? Are you sure? I wouldnt attempt to relieve the pain of a slightly wounded hamster with that low a dose.
That's why the dosage is up to two pills.

And if you drink more than 3 alcohol-containing beverages per day, you should ask your doctor before taking acetaminophen.

I have never had pain that acetaminophen even touches, so I don't really ever use it. NSAIDs work to decrease the inflammation that causes my pain, so that's what I stick with.
Old 27 January 2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
I've always heard that Tylenol is incredibly hard to impossible to actually fatally overdose with. Because it's so easy to acquire, people often try to kill themselves with it, and I've never heard of anyone actually succeeding...

Not to mention, I'm talking about attempted suicides. I would think that if a woman with no intention of dying accidentally took too many Tylenols and started getting ill, she would definitely get help. She wouldn't just pass out and die.
Acetaminophen is actually pretty easy to kill yourself with, as has been said.

I sincerely doubt the "alcohol" in such a tiny amount of NyQuil is going to do someone in even if rubbed directly on to the liver, but acetaminophin is pretty bad for your liver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
There are also plenty of vicodin addicts out there taking upwards of 20, 30, more pills per day, each of which contains probably 500 to 750 mg of acetominophen - sometimes taken daily for years without lasting damage, and sometimes taken one large dose once with fatal damage. I would call this an unusual case, but not unheard of. It's a wonder we're not all dead.
This is what killed Kevyn Aucoin. I wouldn't say he was a vicodin addict per se, more that he was trying (and failing) to alleviate the pain he was in and never got a high enough dose.
Old 27 January 2010, 03:34 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post
I didn't think Nyquil had alcohol in it anymore.
Nyquil is about 25% alcohol. The generics run at about 10%.
Old 27 January 2010, 05:47 PM

Never mind, they list it in different places each time!

http://www.vicks.com/products/nyquil
Old 27 January 2010, 10:29 PM

If you're taking Nyquil and Tylenol PM, I would think the antihistamines probably wouldn't help things.

I was told by several pharmacists I worked with that it would take 4 grams (4000mg) in one day to begin irreversible liver damage, and not much more than that to OD. So...8 extra strength TY. Which would be about 16 doses of Nyquil. I find it hard to accidentally take enough to OD. If this is true, the daughter was probably "dexing" or committed suicide.
Old 27 January 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
That's why the dosage is up to two pills.
My point was that excluding childrens paracetamol, the standard OTC non-prescription paracetamol pill here is 500mg, and the dose is one or two pills every four hours as needed (I can scan a product sheet if you want). 250mg seems very feeble, and is not "the strongest painkiller you can buy".
Old 27 January 2010, 10:49 PM

But it isn't just acetaminophen in Excedrin, so that on its own isn't why it is the strongest painkiller you can buy (though I must admit I've never seen that ad).
Old 28 January 2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
But it isn't just acetaminophen in Excedrin, so that on its own isn't why it is the strongest painkiller you can buy (though I must admit I've never seen that ad).
Excedrin also contains aspirin and caffeine along with acetaminophen. I believe 250mg of aspirin and APAP and 65mg of caffeine.
Old 31 August 2011, 02:44 AM
WHATEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
I've always heard that Tylenol is incredibly hard to impossible to actually fatally overdose with. Because it's so easy to acquire, people often try to kill themselves with it, and I've never heard of anyone actually succeeding. In fact, I've heard of people taking entire bottles of Tylenol (13,000mg at least) and getting violently sick, but not dying. Part of this is due to the fact that there's a high possibility of interference,
Not to mention, I'm talking about attempted suicides. I would think that if a woman with no intention of dying accidentally took too many Tylenols and started getting ill, she would definitely get help. She wouldn't just pass out and die.

My 17 year old daughter committed suicide and died on January 20, 2011 as a result of a fatal dose of Tylenol. Now you've heard of someone succeeding.