snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 September 2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriccoloratura View Post
My phone is so full that I can't take even one more photograph.
I've got a crappy phone like that with too little memory. The annoying thing is that when it gets like that, it won't even let me open the media app to delete them! It tells me that it has too little memory and to delete some files before opening it! You have to do it through some other far fiddlier interface.

The other annoying thing is that it's nothing (or very little) to do with your own photos in the first place. (Or at least it wasn't on mine). When I first got the phone, I knew it didn't have much memory or storage but it was fine - it could run the three or four apps I needed and had room for a word game and the odd interesting things as well. I got to the point where I needed to remove a couple of things to install new ones, so an app that turned a painting of a vase of flowers in a gallery in Bucharest into 3d augmented reality went; the word game and a non-standard mapping thing went when I needed to install Eurostar booking, and so on; but that was OK. The interesting and fun stuff went to make room for more useful things.

But then WhatsApp started to insist I updated it, and eventually stopped letting me ignore it and refused to work. In order to update WhatsApp, I had to remove almost everything else that had been on it. I managed to leave Messenger, which is the main other app people I know use to communicate, but I had to remove Slack which I also used, and all the other useful bits. It kept blaming my own media files and telling me to delete them, but when I looked at the memory usage, those took up very little space anyway - I think I could have freed at most something like 300Mb when it needed several Gb for the update. WhatsApp itself is now taking up nearly half the space. (And no, it's not all media in threads - I've deleted all those bits that I don't need, and they were small anyway as I said).

WhatsApp eventually let me update it and started working again, but Messenger is also giving a countdown (several years off yet) before I'll be forced to update it, and also doesn't have enough space to let me actually update it. And there's nothing left to remove. WhatsApp and Messenger between them have eaten all the space on my phone, shoved everything else I needed off it, and are now fighting between themselves.

I really need to get a memory card for it - that should help, although there's no obvious slot (I think there's a slot behind the battery). But apart from its relative lack of memory and storage, I don't think there's anything special or particularly crap about my phone. WhatsApp and Messenger presumably behave this badly on any device, but it's just less apparent if you've got more space for them to expand into.
Old 19 September 2018, 04:12 AM

Mouse

I wrote a wonderful post, but highlighted some stuff I accidentally put in that I didn't want to, and when I hit the backspace, it took me away from my post, thus discarding it into the nether and depriving the Snopes community of my wisdom. :sigh: I could retype it, but then I'd have to do work and I'm tired right now. So the community is just going to have to wait until later for me to retype it. I hope you guys manage to cope until them.
Old 19 September 2018, 12:00 PM

D'oh!

Last night I realized that I'd forgotten to put my night guard in, so I had to get out of bed, head to the bathroom, and insert said night guard. But only after running it under warm water to soften it up.
Old 20 September 2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
I mailed two USPS medium flat rate packages from the Fleming Island, FL, USPS, this morning and just noticed an interesting expected delivery date print on the receipt.

I mailed two identical medium size flat rate boxes from the Fleming Island USPS outlet, one to Gordon, one to Shayna and I noticed an interesting
comment regarding the expected delivery date.

The package to Deltona, FL, EDD 9/20.

The package to Seattle, EDD 9/19.
The Deltona package arrived on the 19th.
Old 24 September 2018, 04:05 PM

I picked up a frozen pizza for lunch without looking carefully at its description. After cooking it I discovered it's made with a cream sauce instead of a tomato-based sauce. This is not what I wanted and I'm mildly unhappy.

It's also made the kitchen reek of cheese and not in a good way.
Old 24 September 2018, 04:07 PM

I feel your (stomach) pain. I don't know who decided cream sauce was a good idea on pizza, but they're a bad, bad person.
Old 24 September 2018, 05:31 PM

Baseball

I think some cream sauces are great on pizza. But definitely not all.

There is a donair pizza down here with the sweet cream sauce that is the cat's pyjamas. Yumm.
Old 24 September 2018, 05:34 PM

Canada

Oh my god. Donairs in New Brunswick :drool:. I hate to tell you this UEL but for us New Brunswick is that big expanse of land we have to travel through to get to PEI but we always stop and get a donair. That sweet sauce, oh yum! It's a lot like Montreal smoked meat sandwiches. Other places try to do it but it just doesn't taste the same!
Old 24 September 2018, 06:52 PM

Bang Head

It's raining--again--so Pearl and I won't be able to go to dog park or for a walk.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:21 AM

One of the best, most savory pizzas I've ever eaten was a "cheeseburger pizza" topped with Alfredo sauce, ground beef and shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. The only downside to it, flavor-wise, was that it lost 90% of it's flavor after it had cooled down to room temperature - and even after it was reheated. But fresh, it was incredible! So, yes, I vote that certain cream sauces on the right pizza are just fine.
Old 25 September 2018, 10:54 AM

I had a fantastic artichoke pizza with a creamy sauce at a place in Manhattan. It wouldn't work on everything, but that one didn't need tomatoes. Creamy sauce hasn't caught on over here yet anyway.

For me, using BBQ sauce rather than a tomato sauce base is the crime!
Old 25 September 2018, 04:17 PM

FWP: The original programming on Netflix seems to be written almost with the assumption that you're going to binge watch it. There's no recap of the previous episodes at the beginning of each episode; you're just expected to remember what happened. The problem is that I don't binge watch. Mostly because I don't have time to watch more than one, or at most two episodes per night most nights, and also I'd prefer a little variety in my entertainment rather than watching the same thing every night until I've watched every episode. So I end up with a routine of watching one episode per week, just like a regular broadcast series. Then I end up forgetting details that happened in the early episodes that end up being important in later ones. For example in the latest season of Orange is the New Black (white out in case it's a spoiler) in the early episodes where the inmates are being interrogated about riot from the previous season, some inmates lied and threw other inmates under the bus in order to get better deals for themselves. But I watched those episodes like two months ago, and now I can't keep track of who betrayed whom, which seems kind of important now. I guess I need to go read a recap of those episodes online.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:58 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Oh my god. Donairs in New Brunswick :drool:. I hate to tell you this UEL but for us New Brunswick is that big expanse of land we have to travel through to get to PEI but we always stop and get a donair. That sweet sauce, oh yum! It's a lot like Montreal smoked meat sandwiches. Other places try to do it but it just doesn't taste the same!
Next time you and Mr.Sue are on the way to PEI, stop by and I'll treat you to a donair pizza!
Old 25 September 2018, 08:42 PM

Before or after Mr Sue beats up his father for giving him that name?

My FWP. I have a minor cut on the ball of my thumb. Which is both my phone unlocking thumb and my smart phone clicking thumb.
Old 26 September 2018, 11:51 PM

I decided to go to Eugene today and discovered that my favorite restaurant in town closed yesterday or the day before.
Old 27 September 2018, 05:01 AM

I love the blue gradient on bottles of Milagro tequila and wanted to use one as a vase. I looked up ways to remove the painted-on label and went with a vinegar soak. This was effective, but it turns out that pretty blue gradient is not part of the glass, but is also painted on. D'oh!
Old 27 September 2018, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I decided to go to Eugene today and discovered that my favorite restaurant in town closed yesterday or the day before.
Forever closed, or vacation closed?

Seabpe
Old 27 September 2018, 04:35 PM

There were workmen taking the sign down as I drove up.

The restaurant is part of a regional chain (MacGrath's Fish House), but the next-nearest location is in Medford, which is a harder drive (lots of mountain passes and a generally less-well maintained highway) and also not a place I ever really have any reason to visit, or Corvalis (an extra forty minutes each way past Eugene and again not a place I have any real reason to visit).
Old 27 September 2018, 06:14 PM

Finishing a book without having another one lined up to read . This doesn't happen often. Guess I need to do a library run tonight!
Old 27 September 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I had a fantastic artichoke pizza with a creamy sauce at a place in Manhattan. It wouldn't work on everything, but that one didn't need tomatoes. Creamy sauce hasn't caught on over here yet anyway.

For me, using BBQ sauce rather than a tomato sauce base is the crime!
I don't have dairy and have made a rather good pizza (though I say so myself - because possibly nobody else would say so) using a vegan pesto base and no cheese.

Admittedly this was because I ran out of both tomato puree and dairy-free cheese so I had to wildly improvise once I'd already made the pizza base.