snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 12 May 2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Filet ends in a smile?

The one about spelling things wrong confused me. We don't spell color with a u. Which one are they saying is wrong? With or without?

Besides, given the changes in spelling between many countries, I don't see how it's that weird to spell something 'wrong' (even when wrong is a matter of perception).

I liked the "relentless cheer."

Seaboe
I've usually seen it on forums(most often from Canadians and British posters) that since we don't add the u to some words (colour,armour, honour to name a few) then we are spelling it "wrong".

I've never understood why some have the issue since they both look correct andit's not like we use the same words for identical items in the first place. boot/trunk,lorrie/truck,lift/elevator to name a few.I've actually spent enough time on international forums that I use both spellings interchangeably.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
33. Dearth of African-Americans in tech fields.
Well, in other places like Europe they have even fewer African-Americans in their tech fields!
Old 12 May 2014, 08:46 PM

A long list of people in different countries think is weird because they don't have or do it there. Of course we think they are weird because they do not have or do those things the way we do.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:53 PM

Some more comments:
Quote:
9. Aerosol cheese.
Oh, we know it's weird. At least I think most of us do.

Quote:
36. The way we price our products makes “no apparent economic sense and is not linear at all.” Example: one Coke is $1 and 12 cans of Coke is $3.
Plenty of things that make economic sense are non-linear. It's all about demand for that particular product, and oversimplifying things by assuming related products (even different sizes of the same product) are perfect substitutes for each other will lead to false conclusions.

I would also imagine this is hardly unique to the US. Certainly discounts for buying in bulk are very common.

Quote:
56. Saying “panties, fanny, and bangs” seems to be “infantilizing and oversexualizing” at the same time.
I get the problems with "panties," but what is the issue with "bangs?" And I don't think "fanny" is sexualizing anything. Perhaps the author was falsely applying the UK connotations of the word (and of course they don't apply at all).

Quote:
59. The light switches being “up for on and down for off.”
Is this at all standardized? In my experience it varies from place to place.

Quote:
67. We’re obsessed with the weather.
Isn't that trope supposed to apply to the English?

Quote:
91. Driving two hours for lunch.
Americans tend to drive a lot, but this is pretty hyperbolic.

Last edited by Jahungo; 12 May 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
I stand corrected, though I'm still confident that you can't buy unicorn meat in Scotland (for some reason).
They were labelling it as dragon. It was quite a scandal.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
How does one cook [dragons/wyverns]?
Clamp their mouth shut and tickle them under the chin and they cook themselves.

ETA: Also, unicorn meat.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
Some more comments:

Oh, we know it's weird. At least I think most of us do.

Plenty of things that make economic sense are non-linear. It's all about demand for that particular product, and oversimplifying things by assuming related products (even different sizes of the same product) are perfect substitutes for each other will lead to false conclusions.

I would also imagine this is hardly unique to the US. Certainly discounts for buying in bulk are very common.
Yeah, I was wondering about this one. I take it the discount for buying Coke in bulk is larger than for most other things? Is the single can/12 pack price ratio greater in the US than other countries?

Quote:
I get the problems with "panties," but what is the issue with "bangs?"
These were collected off the internet, so I'm guessing someone just made a joke somewhere about "bangs" being like "bang". I doubt that most people assume that Americans equate the front part of the hair with a sexual encounter. (Or maybe they do. Foreigners are weird. Some of them don't even like peanut butter and jelly.)

Quote:
Is this at all standardized? In my experience it varies from place to place.
Do you mean in other countries down is on?
Old 12 May 2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
It is a WYVERN, sir. A WYVERN. Dragons have four legs, wyverns have two. FOUR LEGS BAD TWO LEGS GOOD
I'm late to the game, here, but I have it on long-standing authority (Dungeons & Dragons) that wyverns are at least as bad as a dragon, what with their poison stings and very low intelligence. Even evil dragons might want to avoid combat and have a bit of a chat, and many are actually good.

SIR, I DECRY YOUR GROSS STEREOTYPING OF DRAGONS.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:27 PM

As an American expat in the UK...

Quote:
In the U.K., “your doctor tells you what drugs you should take, not the other way around.”
Not always strictly true. Particularly with my brain meds, it has been much more of an ongoing discussion or collaboration rather than my doctor dictating what was best. Based on my research, I've suggested classes of drugs or even specific medicines we could try - with the more standard combination turning out to be mildly disastrous for me, and the less standard one turning out to be almost miraculous.

That said, no, they can't advertise prescription drugs on TV here.

Quote:
The “sheer amount” and lack of quality of TV commercials.
The UK has fewer commercial breaks but they are twice as long. When I go back to the US I find the constant interruptions annoying... But then I get used to them, and when I come back over here I get annoyed by the length of commercial breaks in the UK. I don't think there is much difference in number of commercials overall, but if they are presented differently they will be more noticeable to you.

Quote:
Jaywalking is a crime.
This is one that people in the UK who I've spoken to about it seem to grossly misunderstand. You do not get jailed for jaywalking. You get a ticket, just like if you ran a red light, and you have to pay a fine. It's a crime in the same sense that speeding is a crime.

Quote:
The phrase “how are you” apparently isn’t often asked in other countries.
It is asked when you actually want to know how someone is, or are making polite chitchat. It isn't used as a greeting like it is in America though.

On the other hand, "you alright?" is a common greeting in certain parts of the UK. It took me a few weeks to work out that when one of my co-workers said that when he saw me first thing in the morning, he wasn't actually asking how I was - it was just his way of saying Hi.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
But we probably need to chill on the flag and patriotism thing. It seemed bizarre and “creepy” to people from almost every country.
I've been in a lot of countries where people fly flags and children chant anthems. I've never thought it was bazaar or creepy unless the citizens were under obligation to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Clamp their mouth shut and tickle them under the chin and they cook themselves.
I wish I'd known this earlier. I could have saved myself a lot of work. And mess.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
To Finlanders, a PB&J is gross.
No, to EVERYONE, peanut butter and jelly is gross.

Quote:
Not eating the national animal.
I think someone said it before me, but our national animals (emu and kangaroo) are edible and have been part of the indigenous diet for 40,000 years. Other county's animals are eaten, although not necessary in the the country where it is considered national. Deer, whale, dove, horse, elephant.

Quote:
Open carry of firearms.
Even as a keen shooter, I find this weird. Can't see any reason for it.

Quote:
We’re obsessed with the weather.
They say the same about the Irish.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
We don't eat eagles over here - in fact you can be imprisoned for killing an eagle. As for eating your nation's national animal, I'm pretty sure that people in England don't eat lions, people in Wales don't eat dragons and people in Scotland don't eat unicorns.
But some people in Canada eat beav... Never mind.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:08 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Offer enough Euros, they'll sell you unicorn meat!
I don't get the joke.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkenray View Post
This is one that people in the UK who I've spoken to about it seem to grossly misunderstand. You do not get jailed for jaywalking. You get a ticket, just like if you ran a red light, and you have to pay a fine. It's a crime in the same sense that speeding is a crime.
Jaywalking would probably be more considered an infraction or a violation than a crime in most areas, but it's one of those rules that varies from city to city, not mention state to state, and is usually so rarely enforced, it would be a WTF moment to receive a ticket for such a thing.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
“Manners with cars in America are really damn good. Japanese people should be embarrassed when they look at how good car manners are in America.”
This surprises me. I've never been to Japan, but my experience with Japanese people here has never led me to expect rudeness, and it's hard to imagine anyone topping the rude behavior I see from my countrymen behind the wheel.

Quote:
Guys asking girls out in “random places like shops, on the street” seems creepy to people from Ireland.
Seems creepy to me, too, but I've also been hit on by random strangers on the street in Ireland. Creepy men are creepy the whole world over, it seems.

Quote:
Laws changing drastically between states.
Actually, what's weird is our use of the word "state" to mean something roughly equivalent to "province" or "district." Normally, one of the defining features of a "state" is that it has "drastically" different (at least as different as California vs. Arizona) laws from neighboring states. In light of the history of the U.S., namely the original intent that the states actually function as independent states and the subsequent difficulties that presented, it all makes sense.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I don't get the joke.
If you offer enough money, demanding something, someone will provide something and tell you it is the thing you are demanding, even if that is impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Jaywalking would probably be more considered an infraction or a violation than a crime in most areas, but it's one of those rules that varies from city to city, not mention state to state, and is usually so rarely enforced, it would be a WTF moment to receive a ticket for such a thing.
From what I have heard of, it is most often actually ticketed when someone has caused a disruption to traffic or an accident.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've never been to Japan, but my experience with Japanese people here has never led me to expect rudeness, and it's hard to imagine anyone topping the rude behavior I see from my countrymen behind the wheel.
You are in Irvine, though. That has one of the most assertive driving styles I've experienced on the west coast. It feels like if you aren't assertive right back, you'll just get pushed off the road. But I don't find the people rude in person. I don't think it necessarily correlates.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
If you offer enough money, demanding something, someone will provide something and tell you it is the thing you are demanding, even if that is impossible.
Ah, I see. I got side-tracked by the mention of Euros; like Chloe said, they aren't common here, so I thought they were specific to the joke somehow.
Old 12 May 2014, 11:09 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
No, to EVERYONE, peanut butter and jelly is gross.
Except for the millions of people in the US who enjoy it, I guess?
Old 12 May 2014, 11:23 PM

At the side of the roads here in Arizona, there are signs which read "Littering Highways Unlawful" - not *illegal*, but unlawful. I imagine that there is some esoteric distinction here between the two words. Both murder and littering are punishable by law, but one is a crime and the other is a "summary offense". So while jaywalking may be illegal, it's a relatively minor offence.

There was a discussion here, once upon a time, that respect for the law was critical to society, and that laws existed to protect people from each other or themselves. I politely disagree - the kind of law which restricts parking to one side of the street in the winter is primarily designed to reduce chaos and to facilitate snow removal. It may actually save someone's life one day, but the primary purpose is to maintain order. Jaywalking does, indeed, protect the pedestrian, but like other laws intended to protect the victim (i.e. mandatory seatbelt laws for adults), they are generally minor offences.