snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 20 December 2013, 09:50 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapax Legomena View Post
Indeed, the "suspension" is meaningless because the next season has already been filmed so it's likely that A&E simply hopes that this will blow over in a few months and they'll go from there.
Yes, I suspect there will be little or no overlap between the period of his "suspension" and the actual filming of the show.
Old 20 December 2013, 09:55 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And a leak like this could be even worse that the original controversy.
I don't think so. Storage Wars bounced Dave Hester off the program for publicly complaining that the producers were secretly seeding storage units with valuable items, and what happened? Viewers yawned and went back to watching the show.

People react to politically incorrect comments, but they don't really care (or even want to know) much about what goes on behind the scenes of reality shows.
Old 21 December 2013, 07:01 PM

Cracker Barrel Pulls ‘Duck Dynasty’ Products

Quote:
The Southern-themed Cracker Barrel Country Store chain is the first major Duck Dynasty product partner to pull merchandise following series star Phil Robertson’s anti-gay remarks and subsequent suspension by network A&E.
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/cracker-bar...190130045.html
Old 21 December 2013, 07:27 PM

If I worked for Cracker Barrel I'd be hyper-vigilant about any possible association with racism.
Old 21 December 2013, 08:51 PM

That thing I said about not seeing the freedom of speech argument? I take it back. It's everywhere. Along with claims of religious persecution.

I was invited, by someone I haven't spoken to in real life in 12 years, to join an "event" Mike Huckabee is sponsoring via Facebook, to "protect" Phil Robertson's "right to free speech."

I declined.

I invited, by declining, invective to be heaped upon me by both distant acquaintances and strangers. Including some guy demanding that I "defend myself" "intelligently." You know, because I hadn't explained why.

Ugh. The internet is a cesspool of meanness mixed with stupidity.
Old 21 December 2013, 09:29 PM

Even the Canadian news groups are getting into this stupidity. Our local 24 hour news station was airing clips yesterday complaining about the 'freedom of speech' issue. Granted, most of them were from the NBC affiliate, but you'd think someone would have mentioned that, the very fact that he made those comments without being arrested meant he had exercised his freedom of speech!
Old 21 December 2013, 09:43 PM

So I'm rather annoyed that the only element of that article that gets brought up is the anti-gay remarks. Repulsive though they are, they were actually topped by him then going off a trip of racist invective. I suspect the anti-gay angle is more "viewer friendly" because you can still be openly homophobic and be embraced for it, but acknowledging that he's an open racist as well loses him sympathy from all but the most stridently wretched rednecks (i.e. Paula Deen's audience.)
Old 21 December 2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
So I'm rather annoyed that the only element of that article that gets brought up is the anti-gay remarks.
I'm as much confused by it. I honestly can't suss out why that part of the interview is getting practically no headline space and only passing mention in the articles I've read. I just don't get it. I'm serious it makes zero sense to me.
Old 21 December 2013, 10:30 PM

It always amazes me how many people don't know what "free speech" means.

* He has the right to express his asshat opinions.
* I have the right to express my opinion that he is an asshat.
* A&E has the right to cancel his show for any reason.

If there is no gov't participation in any of the above then "free speech" is not a relevant concept.
Old 21 December 2013, 10:31 PM

I've been wondering about it as well. I understand why his supporters are conveniently failing to address it, as that sort of thing just isn't defensible these days, but why aren't his detractors making a bigger stink of it? It deserves stink-making in abundance.

Regarding the cesspool of the internet, this is the second "scandal" that I've only heard the sensible response to on FB, probably because I've unfriended all the idiots. First I heard none of the slut-shaming of Miley Cyrus after the VMAs, only people responding to it to tell people to quit slut-shaming; now I'm not hearing anyone making idiotic freedom of speech arguments, only lots of people explaining why the first amendment doesn't work that way. It's a little weird sometimes.
Old 21 December 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
So I'm rather annoyed that the only element of that article that gets brought up is the anti-gay remarks. Repulsive though they are, they were actually topped by him then going off a trip of racist invective.
I thought the same thing after reading them. They were right up there with Paula Deen's.
Old 22 December 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I thought the same thing after reading them. They were right up there with Paula Deen's.
They're actually worse - we still don't technically know what Paula Deen said beyond using the N-word. The rest is hearsay.

This guy said it proudly in an interview and doesn't feel remotely apologetic.
Old 22 December 2013, 12:36 AM

All those righteously indignant people started to personally insult me (even though I wasn't participating in the thread). Once one told me to "go to [my] room until [I] grow up" because I wasn't "old enough to fart," I deleted the entire comment thread.

Quite a shame, the whole thing. I visited the stranger who was attacking me's page, and it was, of course, full of Bible verses.
Old 22 December 2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
I'm not sure what he was pointing out either. I think there was a point and it didn't get made - like blacks didn't have problems until laws were changed? I'm not sure that was something he wanted to go back to or not. I'm hoping not.
It's a pretty common conspiracy theory among wingnuts that FDR's New Deal and LBJ's Great Society laws were some grand conspiracy to turn black people into a permanent underclass totally dependent on the welfare state. As in "if the government wasn't giving handouts they would have just pulled themselves up by their bootstraps."

I see variations of it in comments section of political articles about racism often.
Old 22 December 2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
All those righteously indignant people started to personally insult me (even though I wasn't participating in the thread). Once one told me to "go to [my] room until [I] grow up" because I wasn't "old enough to fart," I deleted the entire comment thread.

Quite a shame, the whole thing. I visited the stranger who was attacking me's page, and it was, of course, full of Bible verses.
They must be really pissed about Martin Bashir's firing. What with MSNBC taking away his freedom of speech just for expressing his opinion.
Old 22 December 2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So I'm rather annoyed that the only element of that article that gets brought up is the anti-gay remarks. Repulsive though they are, they were actually topped by him then going off a trip of racist invective. I suspect the anti-gay angle is more "viewer friendly" because you can still be openly homophobic and be embraced for it, but acknowledging that he's an open racist as well loses him sympathy from all but the most stridently wretched rednecks (i.e. Paula Deen's audience.)
Same thing happened here with all the brouhaha over Rob Ford and his infamous crack video. All we hear about is 'oh noes the mayor smoked crack' - ok that's bad but the worst parts of that video were his bigoted, racist and homophobic comments. To find out about those you have to drill down through piles and piles of crack related commentary. I guess though the mayor being a bigot isn't as much fun to talk about (or as easy to defend for that matter) as the crack stuff.
Old 22 December 2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Cracker Barrel Pulls ‘Duck Dynasty’ Products
Cracker Barrel puts 'Duck Dynasty' items back on shelves

Quote:
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store reversed course Sunday, putting back on its shelves the products it had removed because they were tied to a star of the cable hit "Duck Dynasty."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...items/4162125/
Old 22 December 2013, 06:30 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I was invited, by someone I haven't spoken to in real life in 12 years, to join an "event" Mike Huckabee is sponsoring via Facebook, to "protect" Phil Robertson's "right to free speech." I invited, by declining, invective to be heaped upon me by both distant acquaintances and strangers. Including some guy demanding that I "defend myself" "intelligently."
The intelligent defense is that Phil Robertson's "right to free speech" hasn't been violated or threatened, so the basis for the event is moot.
Old 22 December 2013, 06:36 PM

Soapbox The duck and jackass dynasty

A&E knew what it was doing when it put these people on the air, so its show of indignation in "suspending" one of them for speaking out against gays and the aspirations of African Americans falls a little flat.

What's truly ghastly, however, is the reaction of a couple of political figures. Sarah Palin's opinion isn't worth the eleven words I've just written to dismiss it. But Bobby Jindal still holds down office as the governor of Louisiana. That raises the question: Has it become acceptable again for an American politician to embrace unashamed bigotry?

Jindal's only public statement on the matter thus far has praised Robertson as a member of a family of "great citizens of the State of Louisiana." He defends Robertson's views on the "it's a free country" principle, which as a debating point generally gets dropped by most people before the fourth grade. "Everyone is entitled to express their views," he says. In Jindal's seven-sentence statement, not a word of defense for gay people so crudely mocked by Robertson. Not a word to remind us that the life of black sharecroppers in Louisiana's Jim Crow era was not "godly" or "happy."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...,6012046.story
Old 22 December 2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The intelligent defense is that Phil Robertson's "right to free speech" hasn't been violated or threatened, so the basis for the event is moot.
That was actually the point he demanded be defended.

ETA: It's not even a real event, either. It's just a bunch of meaningless slactivism for a non-cause.