snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 15 March 2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Many of these people were Catholic - and I am curious to know if Pope Pius ever spoke against out against the the killing of all these people.
As I recall, Pius XII's statements were quite round-about and full of allusions that were understood to be veiled condemnation. While he didn't name any names or go into specifics about Nazi actions, he did say things like "The rulers of nations should not forget that they cannot dispose of life at their will" and made other general statements condemning violence and atrocity.

You might find this paper interesting, catty: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/.../piusdef2.html
Old 15 March 2013, 05:17 PM

The next papal scandal will be when the version of the Harlem Shake that they were secretly recording in the Sistine Chapel gets out. At the moment they've got it locked up in their secret location with Jesus's marriage certificate and so on, but it will get out eventually.
Old 15 March 2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
As I recall, Pius XII's statements were quite round-about and full of allusions that were understood to be veiled condemnation. While he didn't name any names or go into specifics about Nazi actions, he did say things like "The rulers of nations should not forget that they cannot dispose of life at their will" and made other general statements condemning violence and atrocity.

You might find this paper interesting, catty: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/.../piusdef2.html
Thank-you. Very interesting.

There was a Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, a senior Vatican official, who organised a network of nuns and priests to hide escaped Allied POWS and Jews throughout the city of Rome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_O'Flaherty