snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 September 2014, 03:41 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
If someone sells homemade sweaters with logos from NFL, MLB, etc, is that legal without paying a licensing fee?
Nope, but you have to get caught. And if you do get caught, they'll just send you a DCMA notice to take it down, they won't sue you.
Old 10 September 2014, 03:47 PM

Thank you.
Old 10 September 2014, 04:12 PM

Even if it's "just Etsy" I think it isn't a useless gesture. I think it can have the effect of showing that, even if a particular person doesn't think the name is racist, they risk being seen as racist by using/wearing it. For many people, whether that bothers them or not will depend on how great the risk is/how many people might see them that way. IOW, they won't worry if some few fringe people will see them that way, but don't want to be seen that way by, say, neighbors and coworkers. The more the name can be marginalized, the more people will begin to see it as falling into the latter category.

So, no, Etsy banning it won't, by itself, be the tipping point, but the tipping point won't, I think, have to be a major retailer banning it. Enough negative attention will eventually affect fans' willingness to be seen in the gear, I think. A major retailer will certainly help--and is part of the process, actually. There's a point where they won't want to be seen as racist or "insensitive" as negative reactions to the name increase.
Old 10 September 2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
... Are there Irish people who refuse to call themselves Irish?
Interestingly enough, in the Philadelphia of the 1930's and '40's, my father was embarrassed enough of his Irish descent that he told friends that he was "Welsh". In his experience, Irish was indeed a negative term. We, as a family are long past that now. The whole "Welsh" thing is now a family joke.

Quote:
Indeed, there would never be a sports team named The Crackers.
As alluded to in subsequent posts, there have been several teams named the Crackers, the first of which was the Atlanta Fire Crackers, which were owned by the Chief of the Atlanta Fire Department (who would later become the Mayor). The ones that followed may or may not have been named after that team, but in all I believe there were 4 different teams named the Crackers in Atlanta, including the Black Crackers of the negro league.

I agree that the term Redskins is a racially charged word, and should probably be changed. Same for the Braves, although the only Native American reference you will find in Turner field now-a-days is the tomahawk logo. It seems that the team is attempting to distance themselves from the racially offensive parts of the name without giving up the name of the longest continually operating sports franchise in America .

Atlanta Jake
Old 11 September 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Jake View Post
As alluded to in subsequent posts, there have been several teams named the Crackers, the first of which was the Atlanta Fire Crackers, which were owned by the Chief of the Atlanta Fire Department (who would later become the Mayor). The ones that followed may or may not have been named after that team, but in all I believe there were 4 different teams named the Crackers in Atlanta, including the Black Crackers of the negro league.
I've also responded to those posts to which you allude here. I do still think my point is still relevant. ("Fire Crackers" being something totally different, by the way.)
Old 11 September 2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I've also responded to those posts to which you allude here. I do still think my point is still relevant. ("Fire Crackers" being something totally different, by the way.)
I was bein pendantic in that you said we would "never" see a team with that name, when we already had. I had honestly thought you didnt know about the when you posted.

And by the way (for everyone, not just Avril), although the Crackers were "minor league", they were a very big deal in Atlanta.
Old 11 September 2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Jake View Post
I was bein pendantic in that you said we would "never" see a team with that name, when we already had. I had honestly thought you didnt know about the when you posted.
I didn't, but we've also been through this, curiously, a couple of times now. Not sure what about that particular discussion made several people revive it, actually.

But I do imagine that you won't see, in the present or future, a team with a mascot that is a generalized racial slur against whites, blacks, or Asians, and have people all blasé about it or enthused or whatever.
Old 11 September 2014, 02:03 AM

I just found it humerous.

Try googleing "Fighting Whities" for an interesting read on how a multi-ethnic intramural team used this name to raise not just awareness of this situation, but raised enough money to fund a scholarship for Native-American students.

Last edited by Atlanta Jake; 11 September 2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: fix a misspelled word
Old 09 October 2014, 06:02 PM

Icon401 Is The Redskins' "VIP" Indian Defender a Fake Indian?

Mark One Wolf was, for a time, a favored native in Dan Snyder's fight to save the "Redskins" nickname. "Native American backing team name is VIP at practice," read a Richmond Times-Dispatch headline. It was accompanied by an Associated Press photo of One Wolf in profile, as if to echo the team's logo. But that was July. Now folks on both sides of the squabble agree on one thing: One Wolf makes poor Liz Warren look like Pocahontas.

http://deadspin.com/is-the-redskins-...ian-1642991295
Old 09 October 2014, 06:51 PM

Zero percent surprising.
Old 09 October 2014, 06:53 PM

With all the history of the people the Redskins used to give credence to the name, I'm surprised to see Iron Eyes Cody not on the list.
Old 09 October 2014, 07:13 PM

Baseball

Change Indian to Soldier, or Marine, and this Mark Yancey story reads just like almost any other stolen valour story.

Changing history, evasive answers, impossible timelines, unverifiable claims.

Dan Snyder needs to sort his act out. Mark Yancey needs to stop before he embarasses himself more.
Old 10 October 2014, 02:04 AM

Mouse

For the love of NFBSK, change the name already! About the only argument the pro-namers have is "Tradition!" to which I say "Slavery used to be traditional, too." So yeah, just change the damn name already!
Old 20 May 2016, 04:01 PM

New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

Or to put it another way, if the poll numbers reflect society, over half a million Native Americans are offended by the name.
Old 20 May 2016, 06:34 PM

Glasses

Redskins ask Supreme Court to hear trademark case.

Seaboe