snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 31 January 2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
At least it wasn't a white man because then we'd be hearing that we shouldn't be allowed to eat in restaurants any more.
At least it wasn't a southern white man. You know, like the one that shot up Virginia Tech.
Old 31 January 2013, 08:52 PM

Canada

Despite my honest belief that religion has no "business" where commerce is already taking place, I should have remembered this...

Quote:
And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Luke 10:7
Bolding mine. If this "pastor" was truly looking for divine justification for why the server should get 18%, well, there it is. You can make an argument that maybe they did not deserve 18%, but certainly not zero.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:05 PM

The comparison doesn't even make sense. God is 'supposed' to get 10% of your earnings. This was a % of what one was spending on a meal. If the pastor wanted to give the server 10% of her earnings, I doubt anyone would have minded.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:09 PM

A friend and I have a pizza we refer to as God Pizza. Maybe we should have to tithe a portion of what we pay to church? Even though neither one of us goes to church. And our church didn't have a specific position on God in the first place.

Then again if God didn't bring us the pizza himself, should it be just included in the price of the meal?
Old 01 February 2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I have to admit, when I heard it was a pastor being a jerk, I assumed white guy.
As did I. However, I really shouldn't think that way because the only male minister that I've gotten to know very well is incredibly generous. FIL is a (retired) minister and we've been out to eat with them a lot, I don't think I've ever seen him or MIL leave a tip that wasn't generous or deserved by the waitperson.
Old 01 February 2013, 12:56 AM

well, iirc, the most prominent jerk pastors ARE white men. Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham, Phelps, etc.
Old 01 February 2013, 01:08 AM

Billy Graham?
Old 01 February 2013, 01:12 AM

He was a prominent white male pastor, yes.
Old 01 February 2013, 01:27 AM

It's the "jerk pastor" part that I'm questioning. I do know who Billy Graham is. Or is prominence all you need for jerkiness in your estimation?

On a point unrelated to my discussion with LadyLockeout, someone posted this article on Facebook today.

Quote:
I'm a Christian. I'm proud of my faith, and I love the church. But sometimes my fellow Christians make me want to scream.

Like a couple days ago, when a restaurant server posted the following photo to reddit.
Old 01 February 2013, 01:51 AM

He held many anti Semitic viewpoints, which were caught on tape during meetings with Nixon.

He flip flopped outrageously regarding segregation during the civil rights movement, one night tearing down the barriers while the next making sure all segregations were in place.

In the 60's he tried to use his religious influence to sway election against JFK, because JFK was catholic.

He called his many tours "crusades" and that grates on me for a myriad of reasons, not least of which being the word itself is a reminder of a very bloody time in history, also in the name of religion.

He ran newspaper ads in multiple papers in 2012 regarding the "one man one woman" marriage debate. (Though I will give him props for refusing to join Jerry Falwell's "moral majority" crap)

I hold a personal disgust for televangelists, imho they are one of the worst forms of scam artist.

His public endorsement of Romney made my skin crawl (again, personal opinion)

I will not deny that in his lifetime he did many good works, but he also did plenty of bad ones. Hatefulness in the guise of religion is still hateful. So yes, imho, Billy Graham was a jerk.

My belief in the jerkishness of the religious is not dependent on their prominence, but the more prominent they are, the easier it is to see.
Old 01 February 2013, 01:58 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
His public endorsement of Romney made my skin crawl (again, personal opinion)
It wasn't lost on the media (well, some media) that his previous criticisms of Mormonism, calling it false Christianity and cultism, disappeared when Romney was the endorsed candidate for President.
Old 01 February 2013, 01:28 PM

Also, LLO's original point was not that there were no famous non-jerky white male pastors, but that famous jerky white male pastors significantly outnumber famous jerky female and/or non-white pastors.
Old 02 February 2013, 01:31 AM

All televangelists I have ever had the misfortune to see have all been uber rich white men. Are there others?
Old 02 February 2013, 01:46 AM

Yes. To name a few: Joyce Meyer, Juanita Bynum, T. D. Jakes.
Old 02 February 2013, 03:16 AM

I will take your word for it, as I don't pay any attention to the prominent religious unless they've made the news for something hypocritical or terrible (or really really good, but I can't remember the last time that happened). The most prominent hate spewing pastors seem to be older white men. I noticed this when I was a child, and it's held through to being an adult. And the more prominent they are, the worse they seem to be.