snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 06 October 2014, 12:06 AM

Default Stupid questions

Is it ok to use exterior primer on interior drywall?
Old 06 October 2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Yes you can. It just has better stain blocking capabilities then interior primer.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-ext...all-84259.html
Old 06 October 2014, 03:14 AM

You may need extra ventilation though depending on the paint.
Old 07 October 2014, 04:26 AM

I just saw an ad for "digital vapor cigarettes." Yes, they said "digital" in the ad. What, so instead of old fashioned analog smoke you inhale a bunch of ones and zeros? Seriously, is there anything truly digital about these things or are they just misusing the word "digital" as a synonym for "electronic"?

ETA: I saw the ad again and paid closer attention this time. They did describe it as "microprocessor controlled" so I guess it is accurate to call it digital.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 07 October 2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07 October 2014, 02:52 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
I just saw an ad for "digital vapor cigarettes." Yes, they said "digital" in the ad. What, so instead of old fashioned analog smoke you inhale a bunch of ones and zeros? Seriously, is there anything truly digital about these things or are they just misusing the word "digital" as a synonym for "electronic"?
You hold them with your fingers.
Old 08 October 2014, 04:28 AM

ohhhhhhh. Mack. that was terrible.
Old 08 October 2014, 08:23 AM

I have been watching "The Tunnel" an co English/French show based on the Swedish/Danish show "The Bridge" or "Broen/Bren". I have watched "The Bridge" and was wondering, How closed are the Danish and Swedish languages? Do the learn Swedish in Danish school and visa versa or are they close enough that you don't need to.

Also, to an Australian, being able to drive to another country is wacky.
Old 08 October 2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
ohhhhhhh. Mack. that was terrible.
Yeah because duh, you hold the other cigarettes with your fingers/
Old 08 October 2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Also, to an Australian, being able to drive to another country is wacky.
New South Wales is close enough to a different country
Old 08 October 2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Basically, the exterior primer is stronger, so it's OK.

It's much like how wall paper glue for wet rooms is stronger, so you can use it if you have a difficult wall and need some extra adhesion.
Old 08 October 2014, 01:20 PM

Ha ha ha, that's how the rest of the country feels about Queensland.
Old 08 October 2014, 03:28 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
How closed are the Danish and Swedish languages? Do the learn Swedish in Danish school and visa versa or are they close enough that you don't need to.
Neither are closed, so far as I'm aware.

As for close, well, they're in the same language family and have a number of words with very similar roots. They don't sound alike (I have heard Swedes describe Danish as sounding something like a duck quacking), and the alphabet is subtly different.

Note: While I have visited both Copenhagen and Malmo, both before and after the construction of the bridge (and most recently this past summer), I am an American of Swedish heritage, not a Swede or Dane.

Seaboe
Old 08 October 2014, 03:47 PM

Norwegians, Danes and Swedes can generally understand each other while speaking their own languages. They don't need to teach it in school. Much of it is similar enough that you can just tell what things mean, and the rest you pick up from exposure through TV, films, etc.

ETA: My mother, who is Norwegian, describes Danes as sounding like they are talking with a potato in their mouths.

Last edited by erwins; 08 October 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08 October 2014, 04:02 PM

In Canada, the idea of driving to another country is wacky too... except the states, but why would you want to go there?

One of the most popular type of urban legends around here is the one about the tourist who thought he could visit Niagara falls and the Rockies on the same day... (or other similar landmarks "Head-smashed-in-Buffalo-jump is a wonderful historical site! We can pick up Aboriginal souvernirs there, then have supper in a Quebec sugar shack!")
Old 08 October 2014, 04:06 PM

In college I met a woman from CA who wondered if, when her parents visited, they could make a day trip to some Civil War battlefields -- from southeastern Ohio. The closest one was at least 6 hours away.
Old 08 October 2014, 04:28 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
One of the most popular type of urban legends around here is the one about the tourist who thought he could visit Niagara falls and the Rockies on the same day... (or other similar landmarks "Head-smashed-in-Buffalo-jump is a wonderful historical site! We can pick up Aboriginal souvernirs there, then have supper in a Quebec sugar shack!")
Not an urban legend, but something to which I was a witness...

When I went to university in Brandon, Manitoba, I worked at a gas station. This station rented RVs for whomever needed or wanted one. They were popular for families spending the long weekend in the nearby national park.

About a 25 minute drive east of Brandon is a military base. At that time, it was shared by the Canadian and German Armies. One long weekend Friday, I was working when my boss said that some German soldiers were coming to rent the RV. As they came in, my boss asked them once again to explain their travel plans. He was hoping to generate a positive relationship with the Germans as they came to Canada with buckets of Marks and he wanted to benefit from it.

The Germans were convinced that they could leave at noon on Friday and drive all night and get to Florida for noon Saturday. They would party all day Saturday (after all, they could take turns sleeping in the vehicle en route) and most of Sunday, and then travel back Sunday night, getting to Brandon Monday night. They would return the vehicle Tuesday morning.

As much as my boss tried to dissuade them, these poor soldiers had no idea that 3500 km meant too far to drive in a day.

I was on shift the next morning when I got a call from the Germans. After driving all night (they thought 130 km would be possible in the RV) they were in Chicago. They wanted to see if we knew what there was to do in Chicago because they were not making it to Florida.

After passing on a bit of info (I had been to Chicago, so I knew what some touristy stuff was), I told the boss. His next plan was to convince any future Germans with the same plan to go west to the Rockies.

But the guys made it back on time and seemingly enjoyed themselves.
Old 08 October 2014, 04:29 PM

That may not have been as far afield as it seems Lainie. IF what you know is which states had seceded, and that the border states had substantial portions that were pro-secession, then you might assume that the battles started from somewhere deep into border states, like Kentucky. And of course, Virginia bordered Ohio until West Virginia was split off. What many people do not realize, unless they have done some non-superficial reading, is the union readily captured much of Tennessee quite quickly, as most of the mountain people were pro-union, so there are few if any significant battlefields north of Shiloh, near Chattanooga, west of the mountains.

UEL, I hope they at least made it to the Lake Michigan beaches for a while. I know on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan, the beaches are quite nice - depending on the season of course.
Old 08 October 2014, 04:56 PM

While not as crazy as some examples given, Florida often has trouble with tourists that don't understand the geography.

A friend that was going to stay in Orlando wanted an ocean view room (that would require a pretty tall hotel). One day was going to include a morning at Miami's South Beach (3 to 4 hour drive depending on traffic), lunch In Key West (another 3 to 4 hours) and then supper in St Augustine (at least 7 hours from Key West). Yikes.

We often have visitors that don't understand why we can't meet them for lunch in Orlando on a workday. We are an hour south of Tampa and, as my son likes to say, the trip from Tampa to Orlando can take anywhere from 1 hour to three days (I-4 can get pretty backed up), though seriously the longest it ever took us was three hours. Well, we never actually got to Orlando. We gave up, had supper and went home.
Old 08 October 2014, 05:16 PM

We usually have the oposite problem here in Little Rhody - most folk feel that anything longer than a 30-minute trip is pretty much a day trip if not an over-nighter.

However: about 15 years back, RI was the host state for the annual convention of an international technical association. First day, I met some guys from Montana and we were hitting it off pretty well. Getting towards lunch, they were talking about getting some seafood. I asked them where they were going to eat, and they said Cape Cod. Which is at least an hour away, not including traffic - and since it was summer, it was more likely three hours away.

When I was in Greece as a teenager, I met a woman who asked me where I was from. She thought I said Long Island, and then asked me if I knew her brother, who lived in Los Angeles.

Some of my coworkers went to England years ago; the nominal "leader" of the expedition had an itinerary that had the group criss-crossing England, Scotland and Wales two or three times a day. it's a tiny little island, you see.
Old 08 October 2014, 05:43 PM

We had a woman move to Austin from NYC. She was hesitant at first because she thought she’d miss trees and grass. Then when she got here, she asked about day trips to the desert. She was shocked to discover that the closest desert was 400 miles and Pecos was the first place with a hotel. And no, we don’t have the cactus with “arms”. Just a helluva lot of a lot of prickly pear.
Closed Thread